wiring in some flood lights.

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
I am hoping someone here will help me with what should be a simple project. I don't have any light for the back yard other than a single light by the back door. I took it down and put a floodlight kit in its place for the time being. Here is a quick diagram I came up with. It is not to scale and doesn't have the whole back wall.

Red circles are existing lights. Green circles represent the floodlights I want to put in. One and two represent current switches. Light blue lines are doorways. There is a single 3-way for the dining area light by the 1. There is one 3-way and one normal switch by the 2. Will the list of items below legally work for what I to do?

1. http://www.lowes.com/pd_155250-334-...duct_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Combination
2. http://www.lowes.com/pd_163387-334-...duct_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=Combination
3. A dimmer switch for the floodlights that will mount by the door.
4. A 3-way dimmer switch for the dining area light that will mount by the other doorway.
5. 14/2 wire to run to the floodlights, wire nuts, electrical boxes

I believe item 2 is a single-pole/3-way combo. I know they have such a thing at the store.

Here is what I'd like to do. Have the dining room light run off a 3-way by the back door and a 3-way dimmer by the other doorway. The single-pole would run the light by the back door. Then I would have the dimmer switch by the backdoor for the floodlights. I'd like to use the existing wiring to provide the power from the circuit breaker panel if possible. Can I run a single 14/2 cable to a box in the attic? Then have it branch off using wire-nuts to go to each floodlight? What dimmer switch(es) would you recommend for LEDs? I know the wiring has to be secured in the attic. Where can I find the spacing and attachment method requirements?

Please let me know if I missed something I might need.

P.S. - I'm still looking for some dimmable LED bulbs for the dining room fixture. I have one of these. It is too red though. I'd prefer to find something around 4000k if possible. Any recommendations?

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
When it comes to dimmers and multiple switches for a single fixture, I avoid the complexity in my simple life.
Even though good LED/CFL dimmers are out there, I just don't care for them. You'll have to use a dimmer that is recommended by your bulb manufacturer.

You should check with a local electrician for your local code wiring.

Its tough finding A19 LED bulbs that aren't warm white. Tess makes some of the EarthLED bulbs. Google them. But, I haven't seen too many bulbs that were 'neutral'. Usually they are overly warm or overly cool.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sixty-one views over three days and no replies? I'm going to be by Lowe's tomorrow(22nd) and would like to pick up supplies.

I'll step up and speak for the Sixty-one. We didn't reply because we had nothing really useful to say.

However, if you insist:

Links one and two show a cover plate and a double switch. The switch looks like two fully separate on-off switches mounted side by side, not a three way switch, but the description doesn't really say or show, so I don't know. It will fit in that cover plate. You'll need another switch next to it to fill the other opening. 14/2 will run a couple of spotlights. However I have no clue as to what is code in Dalzell.

Also, no insult intended, but I don't have a good feel for your skills and don't want to encourage you to possibly go over your head. I also am not solid on three way switches, so I have said nothing there. If you want to run an LED bulb on that dimmer you should make quite sure the bulb states that it is dimmable, and that it will work with your type of dimmer.

Lowes should have a rack up front with books on how to wire things. You might want to get one, settle down someplace comfortable, see how it compares with your plan.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
I understand that there isn't a point in posting something if it isn't useful. I had figured another user had done something similar and could say change this or that if needed. I didn't see a point in moving on with this if it wasn't going to work.

As for that switch in the link, the store has one similiar that has a 3-way on one side and a normal on/off on the other. That should give me the on/off for the light outside the door and the 3-way for the dining area light. I'd use a on/off dimmer in the other spot for the flood lights.

As for skills, I have done some electrical work. I have also worked on other things more complicated and dangerous. Some of them involved electricity.