ar 15 weapon light help needed

jewlz

Newly Enlightened
so i am having trouble deciding between:

4sevens maelstrom x7

fenix tk21u2

jetbeam rrt 2 xml

i want at least a high and low mode.
i'd like a xml that is useful at 100yrds.
i prefer the fenix ui but the jetbeam is a good compromise to me.
i want a 18650 based light.
weight is also important to me
i have a olight m20s and love the ui but would like a floodyer beam for a rifle mounted weapon light.
this will be going on a duty rifle, and i was planning on mounting with a Gear Sector mount

any input advice/ other lights to consider?

Last edited:

Roger999

Enlightened
If you're going with a weaponlight, it is highly suggested that you go with single mode. It'd suck if you ever left the head loosened and when you need it under stress, you're stuck identifying a target with low mode.

You also run the risk of damaging the cell nipples and protection circuit if you run rechargeables in a light that is not designed for recoil.

If your life is going to ever depend on the light, you really should consider going with a dedicated weaponlight who has been in business for more than the past few years and battle proven.

jewlz

Newly Enlightened
thats why the ui of the fenix was the most appealing to me

but the selector on the jetbeam is marked and has slighter longer run time so it's a close second

but i wouldn't consider either really battle proven
looking into surefire heads right now :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stay away from the E2DL, I've seen one go from high to low mode under recoil in a carbine class.

I would recommend a single mode 6P with a Malkoff drop in, but if you absolutely must have two modes, the Surefire G2X/6PX Pro might be more to your liking -- under recoil they would default to the highest mode, the opposite of the E2DL.

jewlz

Newly Enlightened
the only thing i don't like about the surefire's is that none of them can take 18650

and even with the malkoff drop in i think the fenix is a lot brighter

i think i read some where that the x series surefire lights were not meant to be weapon mounted?

varmint

Enlightened
I have been using a Surefire M series for yrs without a problem, many 1000's rounds shot both with carbine and shotgun. Good runtime, just no problems at all.

Roger999

Enlightened
jewlz said:
the only thing i don't like about the surefire's is that none of them can take 18650

and even with the malkoff drop in i think the fenix is a lot brighter

i think i read some where that the x series surefire lights were not meant to be weapon mounted?

The pro series are not recommended due to mode switching from recoil.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Just did this in another thread. If you want a great weapon light take a look at the 4sevens g5. Amazing throw/projection. Lighting/blinding targets at 100+ yards. Very durable and you can attach a pressure switch. It also has a non-recessed button which I like a lot. Very easy to actuate under heavy stress and also has momentary as well. Check out nutnfancy's review. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O202lbOJ4Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jewlz

Newly Enlightened
yeah i've seen that review. thats what got me interested in the x7 i just don't care for the ui

jewlz

Newly Enlightened
Roger999
oh, thanks for clearing that up. all these flashlights are hard to keep up with!

Last edited:

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Check out the Olight m20x. That has a great interface. No problem at a 100 yards and highly durable. Torture tests are on YouTube. Take a look at this and then tell me if you need a tougher light or if spending twice the money on a surefire will make sense.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WSPKuunCI

jewlz

Newly Enlightened
so i think i'm gonna go with the jetbeam.
i chose the jetbeam over fenix for two main reasons. first bewteen watching goingeared youtube vids i like the jetbeam beam profile better. second i like how on the jetbeam you can see what mode it's in by looking at the selector ring.

we'll see how it goes :sick2:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i think i'm gonna go with the jetbeam.
i chose the jetbeam over fenix for two main reasons. first bewteen watching goingeared youtube vids i like the jetbeam beam profile better. second i like how on the jetbeam you can see what mode it's in by looking at the selector ring.

we'll see how it goes :sick2:

Pretty hard to see a mode dial in the dark when you need a light LOL:shrug:

My basic answer (at the moment, pending recoil tests) is an older Blackhawk Legacy or Falcatta (can't remember) but it is basically a G2 with clicky. I added a Thrunite drop in and it is bright (single mode only). Once I get few magazines down range with it I'll make a final decision.

wwdkd

Newly Enlightened
I use an Armytek Predator on my Ak-74 and absolutely love it. It has multiple user selectable modes, easily reaches 100 yards, uses 18650s, lighter than the maelstroms, available in multiple tints. The only requirement of yours it doesn't meet is the fact that it is not an X-ML but I still think that it floods enough and puts out a good amount of lumens.

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
I use an Armytek Predator on my Ak-74 and absolutely love it. It has multiple user selectable modes, easily reaches 100 yards, uses 18650s, lighter than the maelstroms, available in multiple tints. The only requirement of yours it doesn't meet is the fact that it is not an X-ML but I still think that it floods enough and puts out a good amount of lumens.
ArmyTek is a good light. I would also agree that a Solid XPG is better than an XML for throw unless you are buying a light with a huge reflector. For a weapons light you are going to want one that throws very tight beam. You want to identify the target and blind them if possible. A more diffused beam won't have the same punch.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
I like the Surefire option. (Big surprise I know..)

Single mode as mentioned is preffered due to the simpler interface and mechanics of the switch design - which is less likely to fail.

A shock insulated bezel design in a TIR optic for throw mounted in an off-set configuration next to the foregrip gets my vote.