Phoenix Electroforms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AA-powered battery pack with USB port for output?

Banned

Default Re: AA-powered battery pack with USB port for output?

Quote Originally Posted by Ualnosaj View Post
    I have many, many USB boosters (ok I have a problem). I've only recently begun to test the efficiency.

For example, the "common" 2x18650 charger on eBay gives you about 3300mAH worth of juice when using 2x AW 3100mAh 18650 batteries (2860mAH @ 1.5A tested). The USB test is using a CBA III Pro discharing at 0.5A down to automatic cutoff. The booster/charger was only $10 and output about 4.7v constant.

Also tested a 4x18650 booster (again eBay ones) which are 4 in parallel. Used again 4xAW 3100mAh (battery tested at 2830mAH @ 1.5A). The voltage regulation is a little better at 4.8v. It gave a "whopping" 6800mAh of juice.

I have an old Noma (exactly like Tekkeon) which uses 4xAA up next for testing using 2900mAH Imedions.

Also JUST tested the Eneloop stick booster (KBC-D1). Uses 2xAA in series. Tried with fresh 2300mAh Imedion and it managed 800mAh. What's more is the output is only 4.5-6v.
    Are you sure about precision of your DMM? I have 4x18650 one from eBay (using it with 4x Panasonic NCR18650A, unprotected), and it puts out 5.2V under 0.5A load and 5.0V under 1A load.

It's connected with a short wire directly to the CBA III Pro analyzer.

Remember though we should be more suspect of the circuit in the $12 eBay power box

However! I'll do a quick check against a known good USB power adapter and my Agilient DMM.

Last edited by Ualnosaj; 06-26-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Before you buy an iGo... you may want to see this!

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/133/G...tery-Pack/6:2/

Quote Originally Posted by REDLINEVUE View Post
    Before you buy an iGo... you may want to see this!

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/133/G...tery-Pack/6:2/
    I was just going to post this product. I've been looking at foldable/rollable solar panels these past two days, so I've come across the Goal Zero kit. I think that they've increased the ouput, either on the panel, or the charger, to 1 amp, on the PLUS model, so make sure you understand the differences.

Ebay has these for $30-$40+, sans batteries, delivered, so you can save there. Says it'll charge 1-3 cell phones per pack/charge. Even comes with a built in LED array.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

I have both the iGo and the GZ G10+. They both work on an iPhone, the G10 can put about 10-15/20-25% in an iPad3/iPad2, and can be plugged into a computer USB that will charge the AAs too. But I EDC the iGo for its size.

As far as solar, also take a look at the Powerfilm 4xAA, it's 1/3 the size and weight of the GZ and 1/2 as efficient in perfect sunlight.... interestingly it is 2x as efficient in imperfect sunlight.

I am not sure I am quite getting it about AA powered USB chargers but I would think that it is not rocket science that all that is needed is 4 AA rechargeable batteries in a holder, yielding 4.8 volts out to a USB socket. That would charge any USB powered device requiring 5 volts. No electronics required.

I have actually found an AA battery holder that is switched, has a USB socket, is US$5.20, and ships for free.

I have been scouring the internet for some weeks now, being very wary about the over priced baloney that is marketed for such a purpose.

This is probably just exactly what the OP was looking for when he started this thread last year.

Click Here >>> http://www.lusolarelectronics.com/4-...tput-p-12.html
    Last edited by Chacho; 10-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chacho View Post
    I am not sure I am quite getting it about AA powered USB chargers but I would think that it is not rocket science that all that is needed is 4 AA rechargeable batteries in a holder, yielding 4.8 volts out to a USB socket. That would charge any USB powered device requiring 5 volts. No electronics required.

I have actually found an AA battery holder that is switched, has a USB socket, is US$5.20, and ships for free.

I have been scouring the internet for some weeks now, being very wary about the over priced baloney that is marketed for such a purpose.

Click Here >>> http://www.lusolarelectronics.com/4-...tput-p-12.html
    It will work for some people and in some cases. But without any regulation you risk that somebody will use it with alkalines and burn the device he wanted to charge or destroy his ni-mh's because charged device will suck all the power from batteries without cut out voltage at 1V. But yes it's a solution good enough for people who understand what they are doing.