pocket light

Osz

Newly Enlightened
OK so I need to get my posts up because it not letting me do a search so here's what I'm looking for. My friend and I go camping and hiking a lot and want to get a nice compact size light that has very good throw. Smaller the better since space is limited. Would like it to be over 200 lumens and waterproof/resistant. most likely taking a Cree123 battery. Also are looking to spend only around $50. Not sure if anything like that fit my requirements but any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks Guys!

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Osz.

One of my favorite small compact throwers is the Quark 123x2 Turbo or even the Quark 123x2 Turbo X. The Turbo X is a little larger, and may not be quite small enough for a long hiking trip, but is quite bright & really a nice light. The older 123x2 Turbo is not as bright, but is plenty bright for camping & hiking. It is smaller & more lightweight, and may fit the roll a little better than the Turbo X.

I go camping & hiking quite a bit. If I'm not backpacking things in then I'll take my larger lights like the Turrbo X (though I would not call it a large light at all....maybe medium, but not large.) I say this because when hiking I take 2 lights that are both very small (single AA lights.) I have been using a Zebralight H51 (headlamp) and a Quark AA (handheld.) I like that both run on the same batteries, and are plenty bright. Plus I carry a fenix lampshade for the quark turning it into a lantern.

I have hiked with larger lights before, but prefer the setup above for keeping things lightweight. If I were to pack a thrower on a hike then it'd be the Quark Turbo X...great light, very bright, small for what it does, and has a good UI.

Another suggestion - take a look at the Quark 123x2 (not turbo.) This light is a good bit smaller & still has very nice throw (if you get the one with the R5 LED....the one with the new XML LED is going to be brighter but MUCH more floody.) The Quark 123x2 has a good balance between flood & throw & quite bright. Got my quarks at 4sevens.com using the cpf discount code Deleted............gonna be above your budget though...sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam BC10 = Designed to work only on a CR123 (btw I don't believe Cree makes batteries) for 270 lumens with a low mode of 30 lumens. Goes for around $40 from Jetbeam's website. It's IPX8 rated as well.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK so I need to get my posts up because it not letting me do a search so here's what I'm looking for. My friend and I go camping and hiking a lot and want to get a nice compact size light that has very good throw. Smaller the better since space is limited. Would like it to be over 200 lumens and waterproof/resistant. most likely taking a Cree123 battery. Also are looking to spend only around $50. Not sure if anything like that fit my requirements but any suggestions would be great!!

Thanks Guys!

Welcome! Welcome! You came to the right place! Do check out the Olight i6, it takes two CR123's or one 18650. It's one of the smaller lights with a pretty good throw. Dont just take my word for it, watch it here in Marshall's youtube channel! :)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could check a zebralight headlamp. it's my best friend when camping and hiking. It can be used in so many ways, not only as a headlamp, you can clip it anywhere. I forgot mine in the car at one trip, and that sucked big times. Had plenty of hand helds, but nothing could replace my zebra.. Not considered to be throwers, but the perfect light for outdoor stuff. Im really drooling on the h51c now. High cri (shows coulors better tan normal leds), as small as they get, neutral tint, and the smaller led die gives it a little better throw compared with the bigger xp-g versions.

If you already have a headlamp/general lightning stuff and want a tiny thrower, you need to look for a light with a small led (Xp-e, xr-e, xp-g)and with a smooth reflector as big as you comfortly think is possible to carry . A big led needs a big reflector to focus all the light to a tight hotspot. A smaller led needs a smaller reflector to achive the same throw. I really love my quark aa2 turbo. (with a quark single cr123 tube running 3.7v rcr).

Use google search in the top left corner and mark cpf only, and you can serach on anything.

Last edited:

davyro

Enlightened
I'd go with lightfooted for the price,size,power you can't get much better than a Jetbeam BC10 & it takes only one CR123 battery & Cree are the LED bulb manufactureres not batteries but its an easy mistake when your a newbie,not that i'm any old hand at this game.:)

Lumpylion

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Streamlight Pro Tac 2L. I think I paid around $40 and it has a high of 180 and low of 10. Uses 2 CR 123s.

Another light you might like is the Shiningbeam S-Mini II. This light is about as small as the Quarks, with similar versatility, but at a lower pricepoint (about US$42 plus shipping). The light takes 2x123 primary cells, or 1x18650 li-ion rechargeable, or 1x17670 li-ion. It features a three stage reverse clickie: L-M-H. Low is about 20 lumens (giving a really lonnnnnng runtime). Medium is about 200 lumens (about 4-5 hours continuous runtime). High is about 400 emitter lumens, yielding about 1.5 hours runtime. Also, both the S-Mini and its predecessor, the L-Mini, are sometimes available in the Marketplace at reduced cost. (The input voltage limit on the L-Mini model is 4.2 volts, so stay away from CR123 cells in that light.)

The beam pattern on my S-Mini is slighter tighter than on my Quarks, yielding a slightly longer throw. That noted, I hike mostly in woodland environments, where a floody beam pattern is useful. (When I hike in the Sierra Nevada range however, I prefer throw, lots of it.) The S-Mini is not programmable. By comparison,, the Quark lights have several hidden signalling modes, easily available with a few quick twists of the light head. If you plan on hiking in remote areas, at least one person in the hiking party should have a light capable of producing these attention-getting signals.

There is no shortage of choice among backpacking lights. Let us know what you ultimately purchase.

Finally, remember the community motto: When in doubt, get both!

Chidwack

Enlightened
Here is another vote for the Shiningbeam S-mini. I have the XP-G R5 version. It's listed at 360 lumens instead of the 400 lumens of the XM-L version. The XP-G R5 has more throw and longer battery run time. I find that it is plenty bright with lots of usable throw and spill and is pretty darn good for a light this size and price. It has quickly become one of my very favorite lights and is one of two lights that are almost always on me. The other is a little iTP E03 that uses one AAA battery that's always in my shirt pocked because it isn't even noticed there until I need to use it.
I am totally amazed at the usefulness of the S-mini. Very good spacing on the 3 different modes. It tailstands and really lights up a room when needed. I can leave it on high and it doesn't get overly warm with one 18650 battery. The R5 version costs $8 less than the XM-L version. I am using good AW, Redilast and Callie Kustoms 18650 batteries and get over 2 hours of burn time on high. In fact, I don't start to notice any drop in output until after 1.75 hours or more. The light now comes with a pocket clip but it also has a nice holster. My friend was so impressed with my S-mini that he had me order one for him which I did.

I also have a Xeno E03 with the XM-L and it's rated at 490 lumens when using a 14500 battery. I honestly can not tell the difference in output between the S-mini with its 360 lumens and the Xeno with its 490 lumens. The Xeno is a little smaller but only about 1 inch shorter and almost no difference in diameter. The big advantage of the S-mini over the Xeno is the burn time. The S-mini is over 2 hours on high and the Xeno with a 14500 Li/ion battery on high is less than 30 minutes. The Xeno also gets very hot when left on high for more than 5 minutes. I love the S-mini. It has the advantage of low price, size, weight, brightness, throw and 3 very usable modes that very few lights can match.

fockus

Newly Enlightened
S-mini is a great combo of flood+throw (claims of ~6900 lux). For more throw, the Romisen RC-C6 II XR-E R2 (claims of 9K - 14K lux) is hard to beat for the price ($21 from SB). Good quality and tiny but only has two modes (high/med) and no pocket-clip. Both S-mini & C6 fit well in the Fenix universal/adjustable headband.

TheEpeter

Newly Enlightened
OK so I need to get my posts up because it not letting me do a search so ...

I also found that to be annoying when I first signed up. It seems silly to not let someone search for an answer to their question and avoid potential double posting and then getting beat on because you double posted or you didn't search the forums like you should have. But, rules is rules, so whatever.

As for an answer to the light question, the Jetbeam BC10 as suggested by lightfooted is a rather nice light. But the suggestions by others are good to, so don't settle on the first suggestion.

fockus

Newly Enlightened
I also found that to be annoying when I first signed up. It seems silly to not let someone search for an answer to their question and avoid potential double posting and then getting beat on because you double posted or you didn't search the forums like you should have. But, rules is rules, so whatever.

As for an answer to the light question, the Jetbeam BC10 as suggested by lightfooted is a rather nice light. But the suggestions by others are good to, so don't settle on the first suggestion.
While lurking prior to registering here, I've had good results searching through google (keywords with site:candlepowerforums.com).

Another great thrower, although an AA/14500 format & recommended by many, is the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro V3 I.B.S with XR-E R2 (claims of over 5k lux on 14500). Good quality with HA III anodizing, great programmable UI, easily pocketable, and with pocket-clip. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued for awhile but available from sales threads. I'm in the process of modding mine with TIR or aspheric optics for more throw.

Osz

Newly Enlightened
Awesome guys!! I really appreciate the responses! Sorry about the delayed response but its been a busy week for me! This is the first chance I've had to get on here and really research those lights. But I think I've narrowed it down two possibilities, the Jetbeam BC10 and Shiningbean S Mini II. Those two are both impressive and just what I'm looking for. I like the Jetbeam for the size but the 400 lumen on the Mini II is quite incising. Going to have to do a bit more research on the two. Well I'm sure this is the first of a few Threads you will see from me. next most likely what to do to my Maglite! lol Thanks and if any more ideas come to mind I look forward to reading about them!