Is anything simple any more ?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted this originally in the wrong forum by accident.

It has been a few years since I purchased any lights, I figured that technology marches on and there are improvements in lights on all fronts.
One thing I have noticed is that simple (really simple) interfaces have gone out the window.

Most of my lights were basic single mode (on/off) lights. Then along comes the Gladius, a light that I think set a new standard. One hand operation, multiple modes.
After that I purchased an Insite HX150 that also has multiple modes but one handed operation.

Now I started to look at a few lights and I'm finding most of them require two hand (twist the bezel) operation. In my mind this is a step in the wrong direction, especially for an LEO who may have handcuffs or a gun in one hand and a light in the other. The ability to go to strobe or ramp the power with one hand was great.

I am awaiting a Thrunite Scorpion since it is very much like a Gladius. Hopefully it will fit my needs.

Now I am looking for a weapon mountable light that is simple to use, has high power and maybe a lower setting, runs on 2 CR123's and can handle 5.56 recoil. IWhile not enamored of the twisting (sometimes multiple times) bezel I could accept that for just a high/ low setting. The closest I have found to this is the O-light i6 paladin. But I don't care for the bezel size, something smaller and sleeker would fit my needs better.

Any high quality suggestions?

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
Fenix TK11 can be weapon mounted.
2 modes hi/lo

250lum/50lum w/ the twist of the bezel. but that's probably not practical in a weapons hot situation. honestly i almost never use my TK11 in low mode and i don't use it for remedial tasks as it's too bright for up close work lol

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like you're just looking in the wrong places. The people that are leaders are still leading because of their simple lights.
Look at Surefire and Malkoff. Excellent lights, and very simple. No useless modes, features, hidden features. Push on/off. Some may have a very useable low mode.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if the bezel is any smaller on the Olight M20S series but it has a side button on the tail switch for mode changing. There is also the Jetbeam RRT-2 which is only a little larger than the Surefire P60 sized lights (by 2mm).

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to keep looking for a weapon light.
I actually have used the Streamlight TLR-1 with the C4 LED. It's not bad but I would like a bit more throw.

Budget is a little tough so generally Surefire is a bit spendy. Overall I find the newest lights to be pretty amazing. There seems to be a lack of basic "Tactical style models with really simple interface and limited in modes.

mmace1

Enlightened
I think multi-modes became more popular due to the ever increasing lumen levels.

e.g - 2006 w/ the then-popular Streamlight Propoly Luxeon: 40 lumens. Bright, but it won't blind me trying to read something, I'll just catch whatever it is with the spill. OK for walking around house too. Right about the upper-end of single mode usability for most people in a general light.

2011 equivalent - Jetbeam 4xAA XML - almost 500 lumens. 500! That can't the only mode, it would be impractical for so many uses one generally has for a flashlight.

TLDR: Higher highs made 1-mode flashlights impractical. Case in point - I still recall when replacing my propoly thinking "Woah...lights have gotten brighter...110 lumens! I need a 2-mode, no way I can use 110 lumens to read a guidebook at night when traveling".

Though, it would be interesting if someone used an XP-G or XM-L to create a one-mode say...60 lumen light of 2xAA or larger configuration, with terrific runtimes. That said - seems a limited market.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My belief is that multi modes are not the major issue. I think a two hand interface is an issue, at least for me.

as an LEO simple is better. when things get exciting you lose fine motor skills and having to preform gymnastics to get the mode you need is not a good thing.

manoloco

Enlightened
You could check out the HDS Clicky or the Rotary, both designed to be operated single handed, they have complex electronics, but very simple and easy operation, i think they can be mounted, one of the most reliable lights around.

Peak makes single mode lights with a momentary, they make the most reliable lights i have (electronics potted in the head and less moving parts), they also make QTC models on which you control the output depending on the pressure you put on the momentary switch. they also give you the option to have constant on via twisting as a plus; but i dont know if they can be weapon mounted...

Last edited: