Quick battery observation

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've lurked here for a long time on and off over the years, very casually.
So new poster, long time lurker/fan.

I'm familiar with the discussions on the availability of CR123 vs AA and the like, but just tonight at the grocery store I took a quick census... there were 14 Cr123 batteries, 7 double packs. I started with counting and then grouped by area as I was running out of time to count the AA, there were easily 1200 AA batteries on the same shelf, I'd go ahead and say that there were more than 1400 of them in various blister packs and charger/battery value packs.

Now I'm very happy with the weight and power density of CR123, and will be getting some RCR123 when I order my HDS uberlight, but clearly I'd be much more comfortable trading AAs with people in an emergency than I would be in trading CR123s... someone's pacemaker would have to run on one basically.
Generally I think of emergencies and disasters as times to work with people, to share resources and abilities, rather than as a time to hunker down and hoard, but CR123s will be just about unavailable... and anyone in a prolonged emergency that has any mercenary bone in their body at all will snag up the CR123s even they don't have a single bit of gear that runs on them, if they have a clue how valuable they'd be to some people.

It reinforces my thinking to ultimately rely on HDS or other Premium light and their CR123 designs for extreme durability and performance, but to work with Multiple reliable, high performance AA battery lights, particularly when imagining situations in which I would be sharing/lending lights, or using multiple lights for quality of light, or relying on other's supplies to keep on running in the dark.

-Using two of Zebralight's high CRI frosted lense lights on left and right of head for high quality work lighting for instance.

nisshin

Enlightened
Perhaps more manufacturers will make flashlights that take multiple battery configurations. The Zebralight SC80 takes either a CR123a or an AA via a nifty adapter. The Surefire Saint headlamp could take two CR123as or 3 AAs. Also, the CR123a will hold its charge a lot longer than an AA, so you can have an emergency stock of them.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the SC 80 is a Beautiful Design.
I would be very happy if other manufacturers would pony up and pay their dues, get licence on it and incorporate that simple idea with other lights, almost perfect.

yifu

Enlightened
I use 18650 lights as general EDC/utility lights, but have AA powered lights for emergency uses. However, you can always stick with rechargeables if you have an alternative charging method independent from the power grid, for example Cottonpickers over at cpfmarketplace makes some great solar panels for recharging in emergencies and there are some other hand powered recharging devices around(i would avoid those).

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally I think of emergencies and disasters as times to work with people, to share resources and abilities, rather than as a time to hunker down and hoard, but CR123s will be just about unavailable... and anyone in a prolonged emergency that has any mercenary bone in their body at all will snag up the CR123s even they don't have a single bit of gear that runs on them, if they have a clue how valuable they'd be to some people.

I'm not sure reality matches your theory above. In the past few power outages, I found the local hardware store sold out its entire enormous stock of AAs very quickly, but there were always 123s available in the camera section (at outrages prices, but available).

Of course, the real answer here is to already have your cache of batteries so you don't have to go buy more during an emergency. And, either have both AA and 123 lights, or have a light like the Sunwayman V10r where you can switch out the 123 body for a AA body, or something like the SC80. 10 123A batteries would likely last me weeks in my flashlights, though I have AAs to run my lanterns.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really thinking of a more long term situation.
The real world examples that have been mentioned involved shopkeepers still manning their tills.
The just in time distribution system is still up and running elsewhere in those situations.
I guess that for current short term emergencies in our first world country my read on the situation is unrealistic.