BlackShadow
Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920212223242528 ... LastLast

Thread: MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progress)

Maybe it will fit in the same form factor and we can just buy the upgrade kit!

-Alex
    -Alex

Default Re: MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progres

Quote Originally Posted by Endalaus View Post
    Must.... Resist....! (resolve slowly weakening)

Promised myself I'd hold out until press-on press-off is available...
    Hi Endalaus,

Hang tight
    Something for the future.
    I have messed around with a quick hack, pulling the circuit board out of a photo style light (such as the batteryjunction freebie lights), and with some filing, will just about fit into the battery shell, then all you need to do is swap out the led, and use a single CR2012 battery.
    The challenge is that most of those circuits are running on 6V (2x CR type batteries), but finding a 3V version, then you would be set.

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    Maybe it will fit in the same form factor and we can just buy the upgrade kit!

-Alex
    Its possible,
    In on of the design mockups, we created a tiny circuit, taking the space of one magnet and surrounding area.
    I just did not want to delay things at this point but something to consider going forward.

Will post some pics of the 6V circuit.... but for now, that one seems temperamental on just 3V.

tgwnn

Default Re: MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progres

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    Hi Apple,

Thanks very much and congrats.
    If can win over that coveted space around your neck, I'll be very truly pleased

The password issue, I wonder if its a caching (cdn) thing.
    Can you let me know, it happens after you complete the purchase?,
    then you click a link to return to the website?

tgwnn
    Hi tgwnn,

Yes, it was after the purchase completed and it automatically redirected back to your site... that's when I had the error.

Can't wait to get this little light!
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Quote Originally Posted by applevision View Post
    Hi tgwnn,

Yes, it was after the purchase completed and it automatically redirected back to your site... that's when I had the error.

Can't wait to get this little light!
    Hi Apple,

Thanks for the feedback.
    I made some further settings changes, hopefully should be fixed now.

Was a busy 24 hours

Counting down the days

tgwnn

p.s. I discovered the password issue and now fixed.

Enlightened

Hi Apple,

Thanks for the feedback.
    I made some further settings changes, hopefully should be fixed now.

Was a busy 24 hours

Counting down the days

tgwnn

p.s. I discovered the password issue and now fixed.
    How many orders in the first 24 hours??

Quote Originally Posted by Sno4Life View Post
    How many orders in the first 24 hours??
    Hi Sno4Life,

You had me pondering for 24 minutes to disclose or not,
    and I imagine the curiosity of some very peaked.

For the first 24 hours, about 40 CoreTi's,
    with a very fast start off the mark, then gradually steadying...

The preference for polished is roughly 2.5 to 1 over bead blast.

tgwnn

So here's what I meant with a circuit hack.....

Below: Photon type keyholder led

Below: just the right size for the CoreTi (with a little tweaking)

The above circuit however requires 2x 3V batteries so not the right choice but Im sure there is one just the right size out there until we are able to make a circuit version (for those of you who just cant help but mess with things myself included )
    No photo but I chopped off the above led and soldered a 3mm led. The fit with a single battery is fine, but as mentioned this particular circuit needs 2 3V batteries.

Below: 3mm Pink LED.
    These might be a nice option in the future, for the lady in your life
    Fairly bright even on a single CR 2016. That would be an easy change for most flashaholics.

tgwnn

Enlightened

Hi Endalaus,

Hang tight
    Something for the future.
    I have messed around with a quick hack, pulling the circuit board out of a photo style light (such as the batteryjunction freebie lights), and with some filing, will just about fit into the battery shell, then all you need to do is swap out the led, and use a single CR2012 battery.
    The challenge is that most of those circuits are running on 6V (2x CR type batteries), but finding a 3V version, then you would be set.

Its possible,
    In on of the design mockups, we created a tiny circuit, taking the space of one magnet and surrounding area.
    I just did not want to delay things at this point but something to consider going forward.

Will post some pics of the 6V circuit.... but for now, that one seems temperamental on just 3V.

tgwnn

Great stuff, thanks again for doing the research - I didn't intend it as a criticism of your original design btw, I'm just a finicky type who doesn't like momentary switches. Will continue hanging tight!
    I don't collect flashlights, I just happen to own rather a lot of them. Honest.

Flashaholic

i hope you at least break even on that priject...no clue how many units you need sold to do this :-)

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

Enlightened

Hi Sno4Life,

You had me pondering for 24 minutes to disclose or not,
    and I imagine the curiosity of some very peaked.

For the first 24 hours, about 40 CoreTi's,
    with a very fast start off the mark, then gradually steadying...

The preference for polished is roughly 2.5 to 1 over bead blast.

tgwnn
    Great start! I'm surprised that there aren't more bead-blasted people.

Quote Originally Posted by Endalaus View Post
    Great stuff, thanks again for doing the research - I didn't intend it as a criticism of your original design btw, I'm just a finicky type who doesn't like momentary switches. Will continue hanging tight!
    Hi Endalaus,

Thanks and I understand completely
    About 90% of the time so far in my use of the CoreTi to date, I personally find momentary on is preferable.
    There are about 10% of times where a continuous on would be convenient (like when its in my mouth and not wanting to scratch the button).

My guess would be closer to the end of the year for that version.

Quote Originally Posted by SuLyMaN View Post
    i hope you at least break even on that priject...no clue how many units you need sold to do this :-)

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2
    Hi SuLyMaN,
    Thank you.
    Yes, I hope so too.
    All things taken into account, break even will be somewhere near 250. I think I have made about 15 or so prototypes, with various molds created for buttons and so forth to get this far and so the initial R&D ends up being a good portion of the cost when the volume is small. I am optimistic though, after all its been barely just one day

Quote Originally Posted by Sno4Life View Post
    Great start! I'm surprised that there aren't more bead-blasted people.
    Thanks Sno4Life,
    Yes, I thought it might be 50/50 initially (polished/blasted) but I think the polished is somewhat more unisex perhaps & so a safer choice for those who want to give the CoreTi as a gift.

tgwnn

... I thought it might be 50/50 initially (polished/blasted) but I think the polished is somewhat more unisex perhaps & so a safer choice for those who want to give the CoreTi as a gift.
    'zactly!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coyote View Post
    'zactly!!!!
    Thanks Coyote

tgwnn

Hi Guy,
    A little late to the show
    Order placed for a bead blasted version. I forgot my CPF user name, feel free to email for clarification.
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Hi Guy,
    A little late to the show
    Order placed for a bead blasted version. I forgot my CPF user name, feel free to email for clarification.
    GL
    Hi GL,

Thanks very much.
    Certainly no requirement to order day 1 and there is still ample time.
    I must say its positively overwhelming to see such support and goodwill from everybody, be it an order, a comment or a post.

Sincere thanks to everybody

tgwnn

Was it necessary to include our cpf username?

Quote Originally Posted by slntdth93 View Post
    Was it necessary to include our cpf username?
    Hi slntdth,

Thanks for asking.
    No, its not a requirement at all, just an option

tgwnn

Congratulations Guy on bringing this to fruition. It has been a pleasure watching these projects take shape over the past months. Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to seeing what else is up your sleeve, and hope to pick up a Torpedo soon as well.

PS: That magnet action is neat!
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Congratulations Guy on bringing this to fruition. It has been a pleasure watching these projects take shape over the past months. Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to seeing what else is up your sleeve, and hope to pick up a Torpedo soon as well.

PS: That magnet action is neat!
    Hi npb,

Thanks for being on board
    Think of cpf as the iceburg though, truly the tip of it (which is of course the most important part).

Discussions and heated debates (in my usual calm manner) go on by mail about getting the specs correct and why they can be, must be and so-on. Getting partners/suppliers/workshops to understand that "tomorrow" means "tomorrow" and 1.05 does not mean anywhere between 1 & 3.

The last 2 days were somewhat a drama in what is still the infancy of MBI but in the big scheme of things, the flag/stake has been set in the ground, and now there is a lot of work to build a new world around it.

Some very interesting things in the pipe for sure as I'm aiming for different.
    If only things would move along faster, we'd be on product #5.

For now, very much looking forward to seeing the first masterpiece finally in the hands of my respected advisors here on cpf

tgwnn

Guy,

Just ordered mine. I want to put it on a key chain, any idea if the mangnets are likely to cause any problems with my cars remote central locking since the magnets would be right next to the remote?

cheers,

Hi Guy,
    Some very good news, Thank You.

Fastest is not always better. To have things correct is best.
    I think you are doing a very good job. As the world is placed around your MBI stake,
    things will become easier and less time consuming.
    As your expertise improves, so will the product development stages .
    I am quite happy to have tagged along for the ride.
    I look forward to seeing a better and BRIGHTER MBI future and all your new products for sure.
    GL

Well said GL, agree 100%!

Guy, you're making a legend...you know that don't you?...the way you've handled the beginning by involving those most interested is creating a wave that will suck your stake into the ground and put forth trees with roots branching out in all directions, so expect an exponential increase as the ball gets rolling!

Also glad to be in on the ground floor, watching you pull this off and excitedly awaiting the next tricks up your sleeve!

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Clam View Post
    Guy,

Just ordered mine. I want to put it on a key chain, any idea if the mangnets are likely to cause any problems with my cars remote central locking since the magnets would be right next to the remote?

cheers,
    Hi Clam,
    Thanks very much for the order!

I don't think the magnets would pose a problem to your car's remote as the switches are usually pressure sensitive and the circuit does not become active until you push the switch but I can not give you a 100% yes on it.

I should also mention, that a polished version may quickly acquire scratches on a keychain unless you coat it with some kind of protective film, perhaps a spray-on type epoxy of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Hi Guy,
    Some very good news, Thank You.

Fastest is not always better. To have things correct is best.
    I think you are doing a very good job. As the world is placed around your MBI stake,
    things will become easier and less time consuming.
    As your expertise improves, so will the product development stages .
    I am quite happy to have tagged along for the ride.
    I look forward to seeing a better and BRIGHTER MBI future and all your new products for sure.
    GL
    Thanks GL,
    working, working, working
    yet its all pleasurable.
    So happy to have everyone here on-board.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    Well said GL, agree 100%!

Guy, you're making a legend...you know that don't you?...the way you've handled the beginning by involving those most interested is creating a wave that will suck your stake into the ground and put forth trees with roots branching out in all directions, so expect an exponential increase as the ball gets rolling!

Also glad to be in on the ground floor, watching you pull this off and excitedly awaiting the next tricks up your sleeve!

Dale
    Hi DBC,
    Thanks very much.
    If I may correct you.... "We" are making a legend!
    Doing my utmost to ensure everything is done right and goes to plan.

At present, I'm in some last minute back and forths with the workshop in regards to maximum thickness.
    They are wanting to increase it by 0.3mm and I'm pushing back very hard, and causing a ruckus in ensuring they can keep it as thin as possible, and granting them zero change on the delivery schedule.
    They are re-testing the finish on blasted/polished at the thinnest possible size and I expect them to come back with the results of the final production dimensions within the next 2 days, which I'll post here of course (a more accurate thickness rather than a range).

tgwnn

I personally wouldn't complain if it was roughly 11% thicker, as that's more Ti for me!

I personally wouldn't complain if it was roughly 11% thicker, as that's more Ti for me!
    Ditto, but thin is quite an accomplishment

-Alex
    -Alex

Thanks DBC.

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    Ditto, but thin is quite an accomplishment

-Alex
    Thanks Alex.

Still, for this one, less is more

tgwnn

Important Update

After several trials, some rush-priority additional buttons for testing, the final production thickness on the CR2025 CoreTi's is going to be about 4.7mm (+- 0.05mm). Whilst the difference is less than half a mm from the intended maximum (am I too stuck on details?) I've decided to go ahead and….
    make a CR2016 version as well, which will be a maximum of 4.2mm, just to be certain that the CoreTi is in fact the world's thinnest titanium flashlight.

Before I get into more details, I'd like to reassure everybody who has pre-ordered that you have first choice on either:
    staying with the CR2025 version or changing to the CR2016 version and as clearly stated, in the event of a change in spec, you can also request an instant refund if neither the 4.7mm or 4.2mm versions appeal to you (engraving or not)

There will be no impact to delivery date.

I must admit this issue has caused me the most (perhaps only) stress so far in my flashlight production endeavors as I was certain the size was fixed but it seems the maximum thickness estimate was calculated using the hard-to-press button, not the newer, softer feel button.
    The last 3 days involved a ton of mails, calls, component hunting and molding (almost 24/7) and I wanted to be absolutely certain of the firm dimensions before posting this. Simultaneously, I had the workshop build and confirm the sizes with the CR2016, so I could be ready to give the go-ahead depending on final thickness measurements of the tests with the newly arrived buttons.

And so after all that….

Its going to be 2 versions, right off the bat!

I will contact everyone who pre-ordered by email over the next 24 hours with an update and to offer you a chance to modify your choice! (of course you are welcome to mail me first)

I will also be updating the website (see the pre-order link in my signature below) to reflect the new options.

As the first production run is only 200 units, its going to be 100 x 4.7mm and 100 x 4.2mm.
    That also means there are not too many CR2025 CoreTi's left for pre-order.

The updated specs:

CoreTi 1x CR2025 max thickness 4.7mm (also supports 2x CR2012)
    CoreTi 1x CR2016 max thickness 4.2mm

The only change is the thickness with the addition of a new battery type.
    Everything else remains exactly the same.

And some anodizing news...
    I've received notification that my anodizing power source is now in stock so should arrive in about 2 weeks.
    I'm also ordering a stack of small titanium junk strips so I can test and gain consistency in results without having to destroy any CoreTi's in the process.

I'm still not certain if I can offer anodizing as an option yet, but if my tests go well, then I'll be happy to do so.

Now….. I will attend to all the backend work (website, mails, etc)

Thanks as always
    tgwnn

Mail sent out to everyone who pre-ordered already

Next is the website....

Below: make sure its real

tgwnn

Authentification stickers? Too Cool!

i'm just checking:

CoreTi 1x CR2025 max thickness 4.7mm (also supports 2x CR2012) is designed for maximum brightness. When using 1x 2025 it puts out about 3~4 lumens and at least 3-4 hrs runtime, or using 2x 2012 it is even slightly brighter but has about half the runtime.

CoreTi 1x CR2016 max thickness 4.2mm is designed for maximum thinness. It puts out around 2~3 lumens, with at least 3-4 hrs runtime.

and that either model will require the same button pressure.

is this correct?

Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 811121314151617181920212223242528 ... LastLast