Spyderco Junior (C150GP) - First Impressions

red_hackle

Enlightened
I just received the Spyderco Junior (C150GP) and thought I share my first impressions of this rather unusual design. This is also my first Spyderco.

I do like the minimalist packaging...

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0707-1.jpg

The fit and finish of the Junior is excellent: The blade is well centered and razor-sharp out of the box, operation is very smooth, there is no noticable blade play and lock-up of the compression lock feels rock solid. The texture on the G10 scales is very nice and should ensure a secure grip when using the blade with wet or slippery hands.

Changing the clip to the other side was very straightforward (I am left-handed). I will probably break the edges inside the Spyderco hole with fine grit sandpaper at some point, but these may have been left sharp to ensure secure grip.

IMG_0706.jpg

Apparently, the blade was designed by Romanian knife designer Dialex as a first knife for his young son. However, this is by no means a small knife. While being quite compact when closed, the cutting edge is only marginally shorter than the one on my Strider SMF and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can just about fit all my fingers on the handle. I have rather large hands and on a small Sebenza my pinky only grips the lanyard.

While the ergonomics of the handle are great making the knife very comfortable to hold and giving the user a high degree of control over the blade, the choil in the handle doesn't allow you to choke up close to the edge (the whole point of the design). I am not sure how this grip some distance behind the blade is suited for tasks that require applying a lot of force (i.e. carving harder wood) as most pressure would have to come from the thumb resting on the back of the blade. However, I would imagine the Junior excels at food prep and any other light to medium cutting tasks. I will give it a spin in the kitchen when preparing dinner tonight and report back.

A few more pictures of the Junior paired up with one of my favourite lights... the two will probably accompany me on my upcoming holiday – the Torchlab lego in my jacket pocket, the Junior and a titanium spork in my luggage/the hotel room safe to serve up the odd snack.

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0714-1.jpg

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
The Junior is definitely on the stranger side of design for sure. Looks like it'd be a great knife for a pretty wide variety of tasks, and like you said, it looks like it would excel in the kitchen. Since you are new to Spyderco, I am curious what you think of the Compression Lock? One of my favorite locking mechanisms for sure.

red_hackle

Enlightened
I will give it a spin in the kitchen when preparing dinner tonight and report back.

As promised, I have used the Spyderco Junior for parts of my dinner prep tonight and if I previously had any concerns about the design I am now confident this is a keeper! :thumbsup:

The Junior next to the kitchen knife I would normally use:

IMG_0715-1.jpg

Chopping onions and chorizo with ease... The unusual handle is very comfortable and forces the hand in a position that provides the user with a high level of control over the blade allowing quick and precise cuts.

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Dinner's ready! Tomato and bean stew with chicken and chorizo - not a looker, but full marks in the taste test! :huh:

IMG_0719.jpg

Since you are new to Spyderco, I am curious what you think of the Compression Lock?

I like the strength and simplicity inherent to the compression lock design. It should be a fair bit stronger than a liner lock, but seems equally easy to clean/maintain.

I was surprised to find that the positioning of the lock release seems more tailored to a left-handed user... Maybe there's a right-handed forum member who has handled a Junior and can corroborate that observation? :thinking:

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Dinner's ready! Tomato and bean stew with chicken and chorizo - not a looker, but full marks in the taste test! :huh:

Sounds good but seeing your sigline I wouldn't want to try it...

I don't know anything about that compression lock. How does it work? It looks a bit like a lock back on the pics.

red_hackle

Enlightened
Sounds good but seeing your sigline I wouldn't want to try it...

:crackup:

I don't know anything about that compression lock. How does it work? It looks a bit like a lock back on the pics.

The compression lock basically wedges a metal tab between the stop pin in the handle and the tang of the blade. Unless released (pushed aside very similar to a liner) you would literally have to break the pin or crush the tab wedged in between tang and pin to break the lock...

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Nice pictures and a very interesting design. But, wow, much more expensive than I expected.....