Foxfury Scout
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many drops have your McGizmo lights sustained?

Default Re: How many drops have your McGizmo lights sustained?

I don't think I would chuck my McGizmo lights onto concrete floors etc, but I can assure you that they are very resilient even the aluminium ones ie PD-s which I acquired 2nd hand from someone here in CPF some years back. It has its battle scars and since edc'ng that PD-s, I managed to put my own signatures on it with no ill effect. I did remember once it fell from my pocket onto hard tile and it stopped working. Very sad feeling indeed. In the end it was just the rechargeable battery which had somehow damaged due to the impact. Replaced it and it runs normally albeit some scuffing here and there.

Over time, the other two lights which are titanium will have their fair share of scuffs but its merely the anodized titanium layer that is scratched. A bit of spit and shine, it will take away the anodized layer and all is good. In a nutshell, these lights are very durable and For several years now, I have really enjoyed using them and hopefully I can still enjoy using them for many many more years to come.
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

Pjandyho, I like your question about warranty!!!! Very Funny.

So, do you warranty your lights until your life is over ? Just 1 year Or will the warranty extend beyond into your afterlife?

basically, so if you die I am S%$# out of luck?

I have never seen a question like that before but I cant pass on busting on Pjandyho!!!

Quote Originally Posted by purelite View Post
    Pjandyho, I like your question about warranty!!!! Very Funny.

So, do you warranty your lights until your life is over ? Just 1 year Or will the warranty extend beyond into your afterlife?

basically, so if you die I am S%$# out of luck?

I have never seen a question like that before but I cant pass on busting on Pjandyho!!!
    I don't think that is the exact meaning I have when I asked that question. I just want to know if my lights are covered for a year or for life. As pointed out, Don does not officially provide a warranty, but would be willing to help rectify any issues that may arise, and at his own discretion.
    Last edited by pjandyho; 10-28-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

The beauty of the McG system is that even if Don is unable or unwilling to fix your light, someone else will be able to step up to the challenge. They are designed to be easy to repair or upgrade! I hope to carry a McGizmo light for the rest of my life!
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Amen, Carrot...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Amen, Carrot...
    +1

My dog and I were playing a game where I put my Mule on her head and tried to get her to sit still and balance it there. She didn't play very well.
    Thus my Mule sustained several 2.5 ft drops to our wood floor until I got bored and just pet her instead. Mule works fine, dog is broken apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot
    I hope to carry a McGizmo light for the rest of my life!
    Brother Carrot, we miss you.

Ever since you lost that PD-S, we barely see you. Come back, I miss your interesting posts.

Finally dropped my Haiku for real after 18 months of carry! It slipped from my hand and kinda launched itself into the asphalt driveway tonight from belly height. Oops. Figured it'd be all dinged up, and was scared the lens might have cracked. Nope! Couple extra scuffs on the side of the head, but no actual dings or dents, works just like the day it showed up from Maui.

It's beginning to develop quite a nice patina after all its use and abuse.

Dropped my Haiku from waist level. Not a scratch. I guess it depends on how it lands.

Hi Nick and Ben, I have dropped mine a few times, both high CRI and XM-L Haiku, and all they get are one or two very very minor ding on the edge of the tail or head. The XM-L Haiku fell from the top of my refrigerator since I left it there to tail stand. Awesome titanium material I would say.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

It is playing the russian roulette each time a light falls. You will never know the outcome till you pick it up.
    Nevertheless, every fall makes you skip a heartbeat. Mine does..

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    It's been my experience that the merits of dis-assembly outweigh those of potting at least in the designs I am presently working with. Converters can and do fail on occasion and if they do, it's nice to limit replacement to just the converter.
    Beautifully put, my thought exactly

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Figured it'd be all dinged up, and was scared the lens might have cracked. Nope!
    On the Haiku the sapphire lens is sandwiched and held between two o-rings, I figure it would take some pretty extreme shock to crack it without direct contact.

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    On the Haiku the sapphire lens is sandwiched and held between two o-rings, ..
    the lens supported by o-rings is a standard feature for all of Don's current designs, not just the Haiku.

It would be interesting to do some shock testing on a McGizmo flashlight. What would be the first thing to fail? What is the weakest link in the design?

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    On the Haiku the sapphire lens is sandwiched and held between two o-rings, I figure it would take some pretty extreme shock to crack it without direct contact.

Probably so, but when you hear it whack on the asphalt, it sure sounds like something should be broken!

i guess mine is more brittle than normal i dropped it twice on concrete and it got nicked both times.

Flashaholic

How Tuff is the Sapphire Lens ??
    Why does Don choose Sapphire ??
    Does anybody here no anything about the Lenses ??
    Thanks for any help.

Sapphire lens are extremely scratch resistant and I guess this is why Don uses them.

Well before CPF came to be, I was messing with titanium and had gotten into making some etched and anodized earrings of all things and came to be a customer at Frei Borell for jewelry tools. They sell watch replacement parts and tools as well and I purchased a sapphire watch crystal from them. It was my intent to someday make a titanium light using this crystal as a window for it. I had a notion of the ultimate flashlight and it would include the ultimate window material which I considered sapphire crystal to be. CPF came along as did high power LED's. Initially though, the LED's were so inefficient that they generated a lot of heat and titanium was hardly the material of choice for a flashlight body because of this. But at some point I realized it was time to make a titanium light with a sapphire window and I did. I don't know of any quality watch and especially a dive watch that doesn't sport a sapphire crystal and this is a component that is more exposed to knocks and abuse than the window of a flashlight. I wore a old Rolex all through highschool, college and on into my adult life and I never took it off and it got a lot of abuse. The crystal held up amazingly well. What beter choice for a durable window of a flashlight is there? Sapphire is not as efficient at light transmission as some of the glass that can be used for windows but I am willing to sacrifice some light for a window that won't break or scratch like the glass will.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Hi Don,

I am not the expert here, but I have heard from some that sapphire may be pretty scratch resistant but is more prone to cracking since it is more brittle than glass. Not sure how true that can be. This topic about sapphire vs glass has been an ongoing subject of controversy and arguments.

Flashaholic

THANKS for the replys ........ dj

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    Hi Don,

I am not the expert here, but I have heard from some that sapphire may be pretty scratch resistant but is more prone to cracking since it is more brittle than glass. Not sure how true that can be. This topic about sapphire vs glass has been an ongoing subject of controversy and arguments.
    The suggestion that sapphire being too brittle seems to come from the emerging use of sapphire screens for smartphones. The maker of the glass version did some testing and found that their glass screens did better in tumbling tests than the sapphire screens.. There's a big difference in form factor when using sapphire for a flashlight lens. See: http://pocketnow.com/2013/05/07/sapp...tphone-screens
    Last edited by DTF; 05-29-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Flashaholic

Thanks for the link .............. all in all , Iam glad I got Sapphire

I can't recall a single request for a replacement sapphire window due to scratches or breakage. It's not indestructible but I think as close to as you can realistically get. I personally have broken glass and plastic windows and certainly scratched them.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

I seem to remember you telling me you threw a certain Ti light up the road to demonstrate it's hardiness.

I subsequently bought that light from you!!

Flashaholic

I dropped one the other day on concrete ............ I about crapped .....LOL
    But , no damage.......... it still functioned properly.
    It only fell about 4 feet , but clunked when it hit.

Quote Originally Posted by London Lad View Post
    I seem to remember you telling me you threw a certain Ti light up the road to demonstrate it's hardiness.

I subsequently bought that light from you!!
    Yeah, I remember that light and giving it a good hurl. PK impressed me with his bag of cool prototype lights that banged around together and his virtual disregard for coddling any of them. My thinking is that a flashlight should be up to some contact with other tools and bumps and drops in the real world and not have to be pampered like a pair of binocs or a camera.

Default How many drops have your McGizmo lights sustained?

I guess I should start throwing my McGizmos around a bit and see what happens. LOL

I have dropped mine a few times and it hardly shows. My XM-L Haiku is now my favorite light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12