ECOsmart 40 watt LED bulb opened

foxtrot824

Enlightened
At $9.99 from Home Depot I figured it was too good of a deal to pass up. I purchased the light with the intention of putting it some where around the house to replace a CFL, after realising I didn't have any standard light fixtures to put it into I decided to see what was inside. I am not sure what the LEDs is (if any one can identify it please let me know) but there are two of them running in parallel at about 17v. The specifications on the box say the light puts out 450 lumens at 3000K with a CRI of 85 while using 8 watts to do so, at 56 lumens/watt it's not amazing but for $10 it's not bad. The disassembly was simple, just pry off the glass dome then unscrew the two screws holding down the LEDs and the rest slid apart. The LEDs and driver are on their way to new life that will be in a second post, for starts here are some of the gut pictures. Enjoy

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
It kinda looks like a Bridgelux array. Can you tell how many emitters are under the phosphor?

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Get a load of that horrible soldering!

After a 16hr shift, at a wage of 10 cents an hour, you can't expect a 5 year old's soldering to be perfect. 5 year olds are best for working in coal mines. What were they thinking?

foxtrot824

Enlightened
The way the light was assembled the wires were soldered once the LEDs were attached to the heat sink. I know I've tried more than once to solder to things attached to heat sinks and it generally does not look pretty.

Harold_B

Enlightened
"After a 16hr shift, at a wage of 10 cents an hour, you can't expect a 5 year old's soldering to be perfect. 5 year olds are best for working in coal mines. What were they thinking?"

The ecosmart packaging I have on hand says "MANUFACTURED IN USA" and as I understand it, LSG is doing the manufacturing. Not in a coal mine. Florida.