Is there a RCR123 that will not leave me in the dark?

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
My previous EDC light (currently don't have anymore) was a Quark 123-2 that I ran on AW RCR123's, amazingly light! Great output and runtime on the RCRs... Only one problem is they would leave me out in the dark, because of the low voltage cutoff in the AW's obviously kicking in and preventing any further function till charged..

My current EDC and EXTREMELY heavily used Sureflre LX2 is causing me to go though primaries like no tomorrow, I'm at about 8 a month ($12-14) which to me is just too much of a cost in throw aways all the time

What I'm wanting to know in a light like the LX2 which with primaries when the light drops out of regulation in high I can still use it for a long time in low, usually I don't end up using it long in low but it's enough to get me through the dark to where I can swap out the batteries. Is there a set of RCRs with possibly no protection that is safe and reliable and will let the LX2 perform similarly to being powered with primaries... or an RCR like the AW's with a less harsh LVC? I'm not too concerned about the reduction in runtime, just that I'd at least like to know when the light is needing new batteries vs crap I can't see!!

What about LifePo4 that are voltage regulated internally to about 3.0 to 3.2v? Will that perform like a primary in my situation?

tstites

Newly Enlightened
What about Quark AA2 or Quark X AA2 and run it on Eneloops? This way you keep same UI, have lego-ability and easy availability of AA power source. The other issue is that you should have a backup like the ITP A3 or similar light.

bp_968

Newly Enlightened
My previous EDC light (currently don't have anymore) was a Quark 123-2 that I ran on AW RCR123's, amazingly light! Great output and runtime on the RCRs... Only one problem is they would leave me out in the dark, because of the low voltage cutoff in the AW's obviously kicking in and preventing any further function till charged..

What about LifePo4 that are voltage regulated internally to about 3.0 to 3.2v? Will that perform like a primary in my situation?

I'd try these: http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc375reliba.html

My A123 cells have been abused horribly for my RC heli and I've only managed to kill 2 of them (in 10s unbalanced packs) and when they die they just hiss and then stop working. I might end up trying one of those LiFepo4 RCRs for one of my lights actually.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I'd try these: http://www.batteryjunction.com/rc375reliba.html

My A123 cells have been abused horribly for my RC heli and I've only managed to kill 2 of them (in 10s unbalanced packs) and when they die they just hiss and then stop working. I might end up trying one of those LiFepo4 RCRs for one of my lights actually.

What do you fly?

I've got a T-Rex 550e flybarless on 6S 5000mah lipo and a T-Rex 450SE V2, FMA PowerLab 8 v2 on dual deep cycles

10S A123 you must be flying at least a 600 class bird, Mikado?

bp_968

Newly Enlightened
What do you fly?

I've got a T-Rex 550e flybarless on 6S 5000mah lipo and a T-Rex 450SE V2, FMA PowerLab 8 v2 on dual deep cycles

10S A123 you must be flying at least a 600 class bird, Mikado?

Logo 10 :). I also fly a trex 450 and the very awesome mcpx micro cp heli. Those are tons of fun!

Tommygun45

Enlightened
You should get someone to bore your lx2 so itll take a 17670. That's what I did with my e2d.

germanium

Newly Enlightened
K2 energy LFP123 batteries do not have any low voltage cutoff & have amazing run times for a LiFePo4 type battery beating out most other regulated LiCo type RCR123 batteries. They can be safely discharged to 1 volt though it is not recommended as it does shorten thier very impressive cycle life of 2000 full charge & discharge cycles.Recommended cutoff is 2 volts.

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
K2 energy LFP123 batteries do not have any low voltage cutoff & have amazing run times for a LiFePo4 type battery beating out most other regulated LiCo type RCR123 batteries. They can be safely discharged to 1 volt though it is not recommended as it does shorten thier very impressive cycle life of 2000 full charge & discharge cycles.Recommended cutoff is 2 volts.

Thanks this sounds exactly like I need, the potential to go down to a low primary like voltage but not necessarily do it, I'm checking them out now.