PK Design Lab
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC messenger bag

Flashaholic

Default EDC messenger bag

Just wondering what everyone uses as an EDC bag.

I've been using an older slingbag but it just doesn't carry everything I want it to and i hate slingbags in general.

What are you using and carrying in it?

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

Default Re: EDC messenger bag

maxpedition mongo is my bag. (got some tools in pocket pouch. book for reading. gloves and hat for cold days. deo-stick, small FAK, duct tape, paracord, spork, trashbag, flashlight, lighter, pen pencil sharpie and notepad, to name most.. and i still keep the main compartment empty for the stuff i might need to carry that day.. i can fit my lunchbox and soda bottle in there too.)

i might go for something larger if i would need to carry a laptop (maxped larkspur maybe?) but as i dont have to the mongo is enough.. even if it is a sling bag..

i cant get around to use a backpack.. i look goofy with one and it takes me ages to put on if its fitted to sit tight to the back when on, like they should be.. so i would likely try to carry it by the shoulder straps in my hand.. so its more convinient for me to have the one sling that i can throw around my head if i need to go little longer way than few meters.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

I love messenger bags. Fast access to my stuff and faster to sling onto my back.

I carry a Crumpler Western Lawn if I'm just carrying my laptop and a few small items (bottle, Buff, charger)
    or my super heavy duty Chrome Metropolis if it's heavy precipitation or I need to carry more than a few items. Chrome is plenty big enough for multi-day trips, and so sturdy that it's clearly going to last a lifetime, if not several.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I use a 5.11 Messenger Bag, it's pretty much perfect for my needs.

Here's a review of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrkO0...eature=related

Flashaholic

Id love a 5.11 Rush in 15" or 13.5" size. I don't need to carry my 17" everyday so it'd be too big for
    EDC as my work laptop is only 11" wide.

I carry the Maxpedition Fatboy everyday and it works great for me!

Flashaholic

Got any pix of it loaded up and wearing it?

Timbuk2 messenger bag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9DRsSwTquk

You can get legitimate models very cheap on ebay, from their store is very expensive. They also do 100% custom bags

Flashaholic

I've handled the timbuk2 bags and I just don't feel their price : quality is that good.

Looking for something a bit different tho, not sure what I want yet, just looking for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by DisrupTer911 View Post
    I've handled the timbuk2 bags and I just don't feel their price : quality is that good.

Looking for something a bit different tho, not sure what I want yet, just looking for ideas.
    If you like the messenger bag style like Timbuk2, etc, look to Chrome for truly durable and well-designed messengers. Crumpler is also pretty good but their bags aren't quite as thoughtfully designed as Chrome.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Flashaholic

I've handled the Timbuk2 bags before but I just don't like the firmness of the material and how the bag stays rigid.

I picked up an Everest bag off amazon but it's bit too small for my use, it's 11" and wish it was closer to 13". it's soft cotton canvas that breaks in nicely over time.

I'm using an Ogio bag now but it's like a timbuk2 in terms of rigidity. wish it was more canvas soft.
    Fenix: TK11 | TK41 | LD20 | LD40 | PD32 | HP11 | MC11
    Spark: SL6-800CW | ST6-500CW Sunwayman: M10A Black Diamond: Spot
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

I've got two.

County Comm BOB XL and the Jack Sack. (Jack Bower O.D. green military style messenger bag that he had in Season 2. Made by Rothco. It's either the same model or a damn close copy.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I have several but always find myself going back to the Maxpedition Fatboy. Very versatile and rugged. Lots of pockets for EDC gear and large storage for other items.

Im new to the 5.11 rush messenger bag and love it so far. For me it was between the maxpedition larkspur and the rush messenger and right on cue I found one on sale here in my hometown so that was the deal breaker. 9.5/10. Well thought out bag and great quality.

Flashaholic

Could you post some pix?

I've been looking at the 5.11 but it seems a bit large.
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

I just have a few items I need to carry to work, etc., so I'm going to make a set-up using a Maratac Hydrant bag and maybe a couple pouches added on to it.

Similar to this guy's set-up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chazzla...57623979774535

Some MOLLE webbing on the sling would have been real sweet. Might see about an aftermarket one
    Last edited by Lit Up; 02-20-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Flashaholic

Oh that's an awesome idea. Never even thought to try something like that.

Could you post some pix?

I've been looking at the 5.11 but it seems a bit large.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhKhc...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBgqkZ0oK0
    Last edited by That guy; 02-21-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Flashaholic

thanks for that forum link. I think the 5.11 rush is def going to be my replacement messenger bag.

Enlightened

My Maxpedition Neatfreak Organizer
    https://twitter.com/#!/CraigShipp/st.../photo/1/large

Flashaholic

Got any pix of what you carry within?

Oh that's an awesome idea. Never even thought to try something like that.
    Yeah, plus the Hydrant bag and the couple pouches will have MOLLE straps built-in (don't care for speed clips) so I could incorporate all of it onto a 5.11 Rush 12 backpack I have if need be.

Now if the bag would actually get here. Last I saw it was delayed in the shipping process in CO due to bad weather.
    Last edited by Lit Up; 02-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.

LOL

Guys with pocketbooks, how cute.

More like guys who know what they need, and realize that pants pockets won't be enough to carry those items.

So, they have two choices. One, get a pock-organizer or bag to carry what they need. Or, walk around without those items; and be completely unprepared to make it through their day thus feeling like an idiot. But, not having small-minded strangers think less of them. It's like having that one guy on your team during a pick-up game of basketball. The guy who would rather lose, but look good doing it; instead of hustling out there and breaking a sweat in order to win. He'll be on a winning team. But he'll be sweating and not even remotely looking good.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    More like guys who know what they need, and realize that pants pockets won't be enough to carry those items.

So, they have two choices. One, get a pock-organizer or bag to carry what they need. Or, walk around without those items; and be completely unprepared to make it through their day thus feeling like an idiot. But, not having small-minded strangers think less of them. It's like having that one guy on your team during a pick-up game of basketball. The guy who would rather lose, but look good doing it; instead of hustling out there and breaking a sweat in order to win. He'll be on a winning team. But he'll be sweating and not even remotely looking good.
    Yeah, that's what woman say about THEIR pocketbooks...there's just no practical way to carry all the stuff they need without one.

Hey, manbags are getting very popular now a days.

You know I'm just busting, right?

I know you're kidding. But it just reminds me of the story that one member over at EDCF posted.

His dad was getting older, and it was clear he needed a few things to get through the day. So his son set him up with a small bag that contained a number of useful items (including a nice Nitecore flashlight). His dad had a much easier time getting through the day. Even used the Nitecore on a daily basis. Things went great for awhile. Then, one of the guy's old army buddies started ribbing him about walking around with a purse. So, he stopped carrying it. The son reported that things quickly went downhill. His dad started having all the same problems all over again. Making it through the day had gotten difficult for him. Very difficult actually. Needless to say, the son didn't think much of his dad's old army buddy.

Flashaholic

Ordered a 5.11 rush messenger after nymphs video reviews and mulling over but deciede on it.

Should be here in a week or so @ which point I'll do a small review for those interested.

Thanks guys!

speaking of EDCF and messenger bags there's a thread there started by member 'tarfu' about the Hazard 4 Kato messenger bag. It replaced the Tom Bihn Ristretto. There's lots of pictures from various folks in the thread. Holds an iPad or other tablet and even a MacBook Air 11" at the same time. Tons of room for gear, PALS webbing, etc.. I ordered mine from Tactical Distributors and got a 15% discount and free next day shipping. I'm kind of nutty about my man bags, but this is my current 'favorite'.

I use a custom made, hybrid messenger bag made of a tough MIL spec mesh and different sizes of nylon webbing. I;ve been using it every day on my bicycle for over eight years.