Foxfury Rook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EDC messenger bag

Flashaholic

Default Re: EDC messenger bag

any pix sub umbra?
    Fenix: TK11 | TK41 | LD20 | LD40 | PD32 | HP11 | MC11
    Spark: SL6-800CW | ST6-500CW Sunwayman: M10A Black Diamond: Spot
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by DisrupTer911 View Post
    any pix sub umbra?
    Sorry, no. Ooops, see below. As bad as I am at taking pics you wouldn't see much detail. FWIW I searched long and hard for the mesh. At the time I built I found black mesh as low as $3 a yd. I finally settled on a black MIL spec mesh that was over $13 a yd -- and that was a long time ago.

Anyway the mesh bag is reinforced from the inside with at least four different widths of black nylon webbing (sized for the part of the bag being reinforced) both vertically and horizontally. I used #69 UV resistant nylon thread. All of the bags I've built with these same materials are very stealthy in front of cameras.

It's held up very well through years and years of daily use. The UV has lightened parts of it up slightly.

Yikes! I just found a pic! It doesn't show but a small fraction of the webbing on the inside and what may be seen is hard to see.

The pic was taken to show someone how the "pen holder" on the strap works -- It doesn't belong on the bag in the pic. That's a Choate plastic dagger next to it. There is a place inside the pen holder for the knife. I attached a plastic spring clip to the knife and thats the only part that sticks out of the pen holder. Many commercially produced bags/pouches for the consumer have a clip like that sewn somewhere to secure a keyring. That's what it looks like when the knife is in place. The knife is drawn by grabbing the clip and pulling straight down. It lives on one of the bags I made for Mrs Umbra, not on the bag in the pic below.

I built the bag of a mesh to make it more friendly in stores. I figured out ahead of time where various types of loads were likely to damage the mesh and I reinforced it with webbing ranging in width from .25" to 1.5" on the inside. It actually worked. It's tough as nails.
    Last edited by Sub_Umbra; 02-27-2012 at 02:01 AM. Reason: typo

Flashaholic

Very nice man.
    Energizer: Lithium Ultimate headlamp MagLite: 2C w/ LED dropin Coleman: Quad LED Lantern

The pic doesn't do it justice. It is much bigger than it looks. I can easily haul two one gal jugs of whatever and with the waist strap it distributes the weight like a cross between a fanny pack and a messenger bag.

Enlightened

Here is my Ultimate Man Purse Maxpedition Neatfreak Organizer video.

Flashaholic

Got my 5.11 Rush messenger yesterday.
    Loaded it up and wow. what a fantastic quality bag.

the material is top notch, the stitching and zippers are superb.
    A lot of pockets for organizing and I like the molle webbing for adding sheaths and additional small pouches to it.

3 things I don't like.
    1) The main strap twists up quite abit and could use a rotating attachment point at the large side release buckle to prevent twisting.
    2) the side compartments taper down at the bottom and don't fully open enough for my needs.
    3) and the most major issue is that at 5" wide, it's just not wide enough. I absolutely wish that it had cinching straps and 5" was the minimum but it expanded to 7" or 8".

If they release a mark2 version of this bag that's wider, I'd 100% buy it again.

Pix to follow later on.