Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project off-road lightbar featuring SST-90's

Default Re: Project off-road lightbar featuring SST-90's

Good point about the input too, a lot of switchers have an input current draw which varies throughout its cycle which means the input radiates noise also and would be just as important as filtering the output.

Hopefully not too out of context but I was lurking in this thread and another and thought this other guy came up with an idea that might help you out.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...archlight-quot Hope it's not too late to help.
    I'm a Lumenaut, on a bold quest of discovery. To find the smallest, toughest, eyeball searing-est torch that modern science can create!

Enlightened

hmm that's gonna be fun...
    So I need to filter both input and output on each driver.
    Must be an LC filter, as I understand RC will not do due to high currents

Thanks for this info :-)

Project update - Got some more reflectors, three more SSTs have arrived last week, and the front panel for the bar is
    sent for CNC machining.
    Hunting Polycarbonate 5mm thick. They only want to sell it in large quantities, but i will eventually find it.

What are you doing about a housing? I am interested in the same project except I want to run about 20 XML emitters. I have pretty much everything figured except the housing....

Enlightened

well.. the housing is a more difficult part.
    I decided to go with simplicity befor looks and will be using aluminum u-channel with cnc machined front plate.
    It's simplest possible.
    Take a look at page two of this thread, there're some pictures of housing 3d-model

Right now the project status is: moving slowly forward.
    More leds are ordered, last batch of reflectors will be ordered in a couple of days.
    I found a place where they can sell a small poly-plate for cheap and even cut it for me :-)
    u-chanell arriving in two weeks. It's "wings" will need to be machined down a couple of mm's so it too will need some work.
    Sorry no pics yet, but there will be a lot when I start assembling this sucker

I have access to a cnc router at my work and have extensive cad/cam know how. I am really looking for some of that nice aluminum extrusion with some heatsinking on one or three sides of it. I thought about the U channel but was wondering how you would attach a front plate effectively. I do care quite a bit about form and funcion so whatever I come up with has to look prettty and I will probably have it anodised black.

Enlightened

Don't forget to take pictures :-) I'd love to see custom aluminum work !

I don't have access to advanced machinery, so I went for function rather than form. It will only be used offroad anyway and will probably take some beating by trees and sand.
    Front plate will be attached with screws. 5mm thickness of u-chanell's wings is plenty for M2.5x10 screws, pilot hole is only 2.05. Using drill press it'll be precise drilling.

The same kind of small screws as in a laptop
    this seller has M2.5 up to 20mm in length.

two screws between each reflector will yield 30 screws :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Diman View Post
    Don't forget to take pictures :-)
    You too Diman, more pictures, please! :-)

Well I am still a bit away from doing this. I am considering taking the KC windshield lights that I have and gutting them out and putting as many of the XML emitters in it as I can. What kind of reflectors did you go with any how do they attach?

I read back through your thread again because I am considering switching my project to ssr-90 emitters. One question I have for you is how do you like that optic? It is rather large but it looks nice. Any chance you can rig something up and give me a beam shot so I can see what kind of throw it has?

Another is you say that you had those 3 emitters on that plate and within a few minutes it was too hot to touch? What kind of temps can these emitters run at safely?

I too am interested in the performance of that reflector. I am planning an interesting build with them, not unlike your build. (but hand held)

Edit: ...I've decided to use only 4 cst-90's.
    Last edited by Hoop; 01-16-2012 at 11:20 PM.

How's it going? Please post more pics :-) I'm finished with my 16x XM-L auxiliary light project (not self made),
    Feel free to have a look and give it a thought:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=331469

Enlightened

Nice :-) lots of light!

My project is ongoing, I have just received aluminum u-channel. Probably not much to take a picture of, but I can do that anyway :-)
    Front panel is still at the cnc guy's, he's a bit slow (or very busy) so last time i checked he hasn't machined the piece yet
    Reflectors and LEDs are arriving in small batches, I have almost everything now.
    I will be posting pictures when I start assembling the bar.

Nice pics, I really wish the op would chime back in on this thread. I ordered one of the reflectors from DX to sample it. I am considering doing a pair of 24" housings with 8, ssr-90 in each driven to 9a each. I found a great method to do the housings.

Uh oh, it's Chinese new year though, DX might be really slow.

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty[hk] View Post
    Uh oh, it's Chinese new year though, DX might be really slow.
    It has already left their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Diman View Post
    Nice :-) lots of light!

My project is ongoing, I have just received aluminum u-channel. Probably not much to take a picture of, but I can do that anyway :-)
    Front panel is still at the cnc guy's, he's a bit slow (or very busy) so last time i checked he hasn't machined the piece yet
    Reflectors and LEDs are arriving in small batches, I have almost everything now.
    I will be posting pictures when I start assembling the bar.
    What is your opinion on the optics you have from DX? Any chance for a beam shot?

Enlightened

soon
    I'm not using optics, but reflectors.
    I did a search here on CPF (and a number of other places...) for "optics vs reflectors"
    So I've read alot about pros and cons with each and decided to go with reflectors (without secondary lens) on this one.
    The reflectors are from DX (link's in the first post)

right, I meant reflectors. Have you tested them out yet? What kind of beam pattern does it make? I ordered one just like it to test out.

Enlightened

no, I haven't yet. I'm curious myself, Will see if I can run a proper test sometime this week.

Another thing I've been thinking about is to install a couple of digital temp-sensors, say SMT160 family, at some well chosen places near leds, run the cable down to an mcu and sample temperature at different conditions. It probably won't help much but it will give me an idea about heat dissipation. Worst case - I'll be able to shut down the bar before temperature get too high. Visualizing on an LCD of course...

But I remember reading something about that temperature reading of heatsink surface near led is much lower than the temperature of the led itself.
    There's some difference in junction temp to heatsink transfer coefficient...thingy.... must read datasheet.

Double post
    Last edited by HB021; 01-23-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diman;
    But I remember reading something about that temperature reading of heatsink surface near led is much lower than the temperature of the led itself.
    There's some difference in junction temp to heatsink transfer coefficient...thingy.... must read datasheet.
    Isn't that up to the thermal paste you're using, and how well you mount them on heatsink? I used artic silver on my quad XML and if I remember correctly it was only slightly hotter than the heatsink.

Enlightened

no, it has to do with thermal resistance of the led assembly.
    I'm reading neccessary material now.. so i'll post my numbers soon

the weakest point of those sst90s are the stars, depending on a star (not all made the same) you can have up to 20c difference between led heatpad and bottom of the star. all (but 1) stars have copper foil on which the led sits, than there is a layer of insulation between foil and star, some have thicker insulation, some thinner, some have more foil under the led some less. there is only 1 star that has leds' heatpad sitting directly on the star, but it is made for xm-l .

Enlightened

Alright, I see.
    The stars I use are Luminus own - SSR90 preassembled version. Not Comex. Although I have no way of knowing if there's any difference, Luminus might just be a re-branded Comex or the other way around...
    My next build (which I'm certain will happen someday in a near future) will most certainly build on CST-90s with copper boards and thermistors. I'm not a newbie in electronics, but i've never dealt LED driving topic. I'm reading on now so I'll probably design my own driver for the CSTs. Off-road use only of course
    But I'm so far into this SST-90 build, I will see it through.

Enlightened

a small update:
    front panel has arrived from the cnc guy.
    Look really good and feels rigid too.
    The reflector will seat on that small "lip" and will be locked in place by a polycarbonate "window" spanning across whole front.

Panel looks good. I am debating whether or not to continue my project. If I still do it I decided to go XML because I can get 36 emitters in a single housing. With your config you will get around 33000 lumen and I will get about 36000 lumen if we both push them to near limits. Probably not even a noticeable difference if they were both on side by side. Cost wise you are probably dropping around $750 on the emitters alone compared to my $360. I will have $200 in reflectors to your $150. Driver wise I only need 4 drivers at a shipped cost of $109. I dunno what yours cost but It is at least what I would have to pay.

A few observations on my end... with these housings we will both have a similar problem and that is sealing them weather tight and at the same time allowing them to vent. We will both build substantial heat inside these housings and that hot air will need to escape somewhere. I have been looking into "gore" vents which are a moisture proof vent that allows pressure changes through a membrane of some sort. What are you planning on doing?

As far as the reflectors that you are using.... I ordered one to play with as I have some ssr90 emitters laying around. The reflector is NICE to anyone wondering. Worth the $10 for sure but I would have a hard time paying $12 or $15 although it is one of the only options for a decent size reflector for these emitters. Another is that yes as you said the opening for the emitter in the reflector sits nice on the emitter but it is DAMN close to the solder points and worries me a bit.

ALSO I have 2 pieces of brand new SSR-90-W65S-R11-GN102 (the finest bin selection) and one of the reflectors that I do not need if you are in the market. I would let you have them for a nice deal.
    Last edited by DKlaser; 02-11-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Enlightened

it does, doesn't it
    the ssr's cost me 27€ a piece so around $570 for 15 pieces.
    I'm working on the vent problem, haven't got anything definitive yet...
    One solution would be a simple 6mm nylon air tubing running along with power cables, enter the housing through the same hole and starting from inside the car (dryer air)
    Another, more appealing approach is to use two vents and a fan to achieve air movement. Even a minimal extraction of hot air will probably have big effect on the inside temperature.

I'm leaning towards the latter one. two vents are not more difficult to build than one and a small fan like this one at one end won't steal much power either.

I like the idea of a fan. The air you could get through a 6mm tube would be like spitting in the ocean against the ~400W you need to dissipate. Think about blowing that air over 4 100W light bulbs, and wonder how much you're going to cool the last one.

I'd think about a bigger fan. You're putting >500W into the lights, you can afford a few more to cool them. Remember that those fans are designed to push against VERY little resistance. If you have a flow restriction like a flap or filter, the flow will be greatly reduced.

Oh, and VERY cool! You must be getting excited.

I would consider a custom water cooling loop.