is the Sunwayman M40A Cree XM-L T6 the brightest 4 AA battery light currently?

Miracle

Enlightened
is the Sunwayman M40A Cree XM-L T6 the brightest 4 AA battery light currently?

It gives 600 lumens for 1.5 hour

:drool:

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is. It also has the highest lux reading out of all the 4aa lights. Around 32,000 lux I read here. I got a M40A a few weeks ago. Compared to the my fenix tk40 it could throw just as far but with tad narrower spill. The m40a is a great light for the price!

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ XM-L version is cheaper than MC-E one. This flashlight has just one con - med mode is too bright. Visually it's not between high and low but much closer to high.

Miracle

Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

When was the M40A XM-L launched for sale?

Does the M40A XM-L gives 600 lumens with "all" the below types of batteries ???

Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium

Is Alkaline referring to the non rechargable type of batteries readily available at your shop?

Thanks

:)

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I dont know the specfics but the m40a xml was launched a few months back over summer. You are correct that the Alkaline is referring to aa that are non rechargeable and bought in the store which have 1.5 volts. You should be able to get the full 600 lumens from all the batteries but some nice nimh batteries would be ideal. I just tried my light with alkalines and it appeared to be just as bright as when i use my eneloops. But runtime would surley suffer with alkalines and if you spend $130 or so on a light i would not risk using alkalines unless if you really are in a pinch.

Miracle

Enlightened
I dont know the specfics but the m40a xml was launched a few months back over summer. You are correct that the Alkaline is referring to aa that are non rechargeable and bought in the store which have 1.5 volts. You should be able to get the full 600 lumens from all the batteries but some nice nimh batteries would be ideal. I just tried my light with alkalines and it appeared to be just as bright as when i use my eneloops. But runtime would surley suffer with alkalines and if you spend $130 or so on a light i would not risk using alkalines unless if you really are in a pinch.

why did you say you will not risk using alkalines on the M40A XML?

will the light develops problems with the use of alkalines?

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I dont use alkalines in any of me battery powered devices. I have sanyo eneloops for everything. The light should be fine as long as the alkalines dont burst. Thats why a lot of guys on the forum dont like alkalines and perfer nimh to power their lights. If the battery would leak, it could cause damage phyiscally to the light. I should add that lithiums and nimh both are safer bets.

Miracle

Enlightened
I dont use alkalines in any of me battery powered devices. I have sanyo eneloops for everything. The light should be fine as long as the alkalines dont burst. Thats why a lot of guys on the forum dont like alkalines and perfer nimh to power their lights. If the battery would leak, it could cause damage phyiscally to the light. I should add that lithiums and nimh both are safer bets.

thanks for the info.

will the sanyo eneloops give 600 lumens for 1.5 hour?

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman i believe used 2600mah batteries when calculating runtimes. Sanyo eneloops that i have are 2000mah but are low discharge. So i did a few calculations and 2600mah batteries run it for about 90 minutes which means the eneloops with 2000mah should run it about 70 minutes. But you can also buy lower and higher capicity batteries as well.

Miracle

Enlightened
Sunwayman i believe used 2600mah batteries when calculating runtimes. Sanyo eneloops that i have are 2000mah but are low discharge. So i did a few calculations and 2600mah batteries run it for about 90 minutes which means the eneloops with 2000mah should run it about 70 minutes. But you can also buy lower and higher capicity batteries as well.

thank you very much for all the info

:)

Kilted

Enlightened
Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Yes you will kill the light. LiIon 14500 nominal voltage is 3.7volts, 3.7x4=14.8v will into the magic smoke range.

=D~~ Kilted

I am wondering if i should have Got the m40a xm-l over the olight s65. I could not find any runtime test done. Or actualy output / lux figures that selfbuilt does.

Goes to show how selfbuilts reviews play a role in the lights in compare when buying.

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
That's one thing bothering me as well. When you switch from medium to high there's not that great a difference to notice. Still an excellent light though.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know where to find good outdoor beamshots?

Last edited:

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I have yet to find any good out door beamshots other than on youtube where goinggear did a review of it. I can say that the m40a has a similar beam to that of the fenix tk40. I know the lux rating on the m40a has been posted by tre at around 25,000. I think there is a pretty big difference between the med and high setting for the light. I would recommend the light to anyone thinking of buying one.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Well, I've used my TK40 a lot with just 4 cells. I only did it for experimenting purposes. I don't know if the TK41 can also run with only 4 cells like the TK40 can? If it can, than surely the TK41 is the best ''4XAA'' light out there!!:)

I can't wait till Sunwayman makes a V40A. That would be just perfect for my needs. Or even a V80A. One could only dream:)

firelord777

Enlightened
My TK41 can run off 4 batteries on Turbo, so yes, in terms of throw on 4 cells, yes. But the Sunwayman's UI looks fantastic, wish my fenix had that.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I saw the video they did for it was hoping for some outdoor beamshots but at least the video gives us some idea.
I have a Ohligh S65 coming. I might order this and compare it to my PA40 with the S65. See which one I like best.

V40, 60 or 80 A would awesome.