Would you leave the Maha Powerex MH-C9000 unattended???

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
its been said to NEVER leave batteries charging unattended (fire risk)

i own this,

http://www.batteryjunction.com/vav10baysmch.html

im thinking about getting the Maha Powerex MH-C9000

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NLUSLM/?tag=cpf0b6-20

after reading some reviews, although it can do a lot, id rather use a simpler charger, i just want my cells charged fully and safely, i dont need or want to read any numbers.

is the la crosse BC 1000 as good but more simple to use then the mh-9000?

or is the charger im using actually 'ok' ??

i like and use a lot of rechargeable AA and AAA cells (family, toys,flashlights)

is this thing worth a look?

http://www.batteryjunction.com/titanium-md-1600l.html

Last edited:

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
At times and using some of it's features, you must leavt the 9000 unattended. Coditioning can take 2 days depending upon the size cells you're using.
I've had one for several years and leave it unattended quite often.

Wrend

Enlightened
It's very easy and intuitive to use and cycle through the hand full of options and change the rate and capacity fields.

If you have no understanding of how to properly use rechargeable cells, then learn, or just waste your money on primary cells or rechargeable cells that don't last as long as they should.

That aside, you can just put your battery in it, and it will charge it.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
At times and using some of it's features, you must leavt the 9000 unattended. Coditioning can take 2 days depending upon the size cells you're using.
I've had one for several years and leave it unattended quite often.
I agree, I've had mine for about a year.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a C9000 for several years and have left it unattended many times, especially when doing break-ins.

I still take the same precautions with it that I do with my li-ion chargers, except that I don't leave my li-ion chargers unattended.

rcozer

Newly Enlightened
You already have a smart charger that charges slowly, and has maximum charging timer control to protect against overcharging (even if -deltaV detection is missed as some will debate here). For a family with kids, what you have is a good choice. That is, safety over having the best battery charging tool to optimize the life of the batteries.

The faster the charger, the higher the temperature.
Titanium MD-1600L Ni-MH AA/AAA Smart Fast Battery Charger
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320699-Finally-a-16-cell-AAA-AA-charger
You will read concerns about not detecting when a cell is charged due to the low current.
However, the specifications also indicate a Fail Safe Timer & Thermal Protection Charge Termination. On paper the charger looks good.
The bad part is a lack of user reviews on this charger.

Last edited:

lowks

Newly Enlightened
I leave mine un-attended too, I really cannot figure out how you can keep on monitoring it when it's doing something like a refresh or break-in which can easily take up to 38 hours.

itguy07

Newly Enlightened
I leave it unattended all the time. It's a safe charger and IMHO even with the LiIons and a quality charger there is little risk. How many laptops, cell phones, etc are unattended charged every day without issue? Not much to worry about especially with charge rates approaching 4+ hours and a charger that terminates properly. That is the thing, you need to have a quality charger

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
its been said to NEVER leave batteries charging unattended (fire risk)

the china 10X:
I own a very similar model of charger, as in made probably to the same specs, as that, slower 10X charger you have, I like it very much. If i discharge before charge using eneloops , it does a very nice charge on them. I can also use it for topping by manuel control. It can be nicer on AAAs, with its lower rate.

the Maha C9000 is good for testing, it would work well as "the other charger" to the one you have. It can do faster charging, still cooler, and can test.

the titanium is very cool, with the 16 at a time, it is not a testing charger. There are many reports of "part of" it failing. knowing about how they are built inside, the reports I have seen are on par for other cheap 4X chargers. IMO i would rather have more 4X chargers than to have a 16X with only 12 of them working to 100%. If its build quality had proven to be MUCH higher , i might have given it a shot. But then again, I have the 10X (like yours) and it is pretty sweet.

I Pretty much have to sleep, when the c9000 is doing its thing. with the lacross 900 it destroyed (perfect) batteries and itself from a microcontroller lockup,while I was not looking. The c9000 has an added voltage termination method, helps some, and refuses crap cells completly. IMO it can be more "safe" safe being relative.

take them all, any one of them, and the thing to have to "pay more attention to" is AAA charging.

the Maha 808, and its methods, should have also been 100% safe, and I like its methods also. For a few people it was not, it will charge a crappy cell, and a cell could possibly take it out. but the 9000 wouldnt even start charging with that same cell, its too damn pickey about high resistance cells.

Last edited:

InHisName

Enlightened
I parked mine on an empty metal paint gal can. Monitored for a couple of weeks, then slacked off.

Now hardly monitor squat with my C9000. It was still on the can thru this Christmas, After 5 Years, its direct on the workbench. Still going fine.

Kick

Newly Enlightened
Yes, because of the break-in cycles, I leave it unattended. I did a lot of research on this charger before I purchased mine. Even the middle slots only get a few degrees warmer than the outer slots (which don't seem to warm up over ambient air temperature ), makes me believe this is safe to leave it unattended.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
I've had my MH-C800S for over a year and leave it charging unattended all the time. Never a problem.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Overall the recommendation is to never leave a charger that is charging unattended.

That still stands.

However, if you run extended testing like the "Break In" on the C-9000 you will have some time where you are sleeping and the charger will be left unattended. If you are going to leave the charger unattended do some preparation to remove flammable items from around the charger. Set the charger on a tile or something else that can handle warmer temperatures. This way if things go bad you will contain the damage.

Another item that will give you piece of mind is to have a smoke alarm near your charger.

Usually things progress without problems, but it is always good to be proactive and prevent problems before they happen.

Tom

markr6

Flashaholic
For some reason these types of chargers tend to have more cation applied to them than other devices. Maybe it's from horror stories read here. Maybe it's the user abusing batteries or using a modified charger. Maybe those "$0.99+shipping chargers" aren't safe in general. Who knows.

But I leave my electric toothbrush (NiMH) plugged in 24/7/365 and I don't think anyone worries about those. Same with my electric razor/trimmer that is used daily; that's been fine over the past 4 years (NiCad I believe). My laptop goes days or weeks plugged in (I know I shouldn't do this for performance reasons).

In the end, I leave them somewhat unattended in the sense that I'm always home. I don't feel safe leaving home for some reason.

Schermann

Newly Enlightened
MH-C9000 has a flick out wire kick stand for extra airflow and to lift it off any desk surface:

7A625CA7-0C87-4C9F-8DDA-1B407AFF98F9.jpeg

... it never gets warm because there is almost nothing large inside it to get hot!

325addict

Enlightened
Very simple: ANY charger that charges lithium based cells, I NEVER, EVER leave charging overnight. This includes my smartphone(!!)
Chargers that charge NiMH cells, I regularly leave charging overnight, as that is a "safe chemistry".

Very simple: ANY charger that charges lithium based cells, I NEVER, EVER leave charging overnight. This includes my smartphone(!!)
Chargers that charge NiMH cells, I regularly leave charging overnight, as that is a "safe chemistry".
This is my behaviour too. But I don't really know if is 'safe'.