Need help making my Preon Revo dimmer.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes - that's right I want to make it dimmer (at least on the Low setting).

Great light, awesome interface. I absolutely love that off for longer than 2 seconds and you are back to the lowest one setting. Makes a great around the house nighttime light - but the low is way to bright for sleepy eyed walks to the bathroom. With my sleep adjusted eyes I feel like I am burning my retinas.

I've already swapped in a Q2 HiCRI (90) XP-G which has made the tone of the color much warmer and more enjoyable for night time use.
I am considering some diffusing paper, but I still like a bit of throw in the beam rather than having a mule.

Any other ideas?

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
Yes - that's right I want to make it dimmer (at least on the Low setting).

Great light, awesome interface. I absolutely love that off for longer than 2 seconds and you are back to the lowest one setting. Makes a great around the house nighttime light - but the low is way to bright for sleepy eyed walks to the bathroom. With my sleep adjusted eyes I feel like I am burning my retinas.

I've already swapped in a Q2 HiCRI (90) XP-G which has made the tone of the color much warmer and more enjoyable for night time use.
I am considering some diffusing paper, but I still like a bit of throw in the beam rather than having a mule.

Any other ideas?

I recommend the high tech finger shield.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a simple matter to add a neutral density filter, especially since you've obviously had the head open already. Of course that would also reduce the output on the other levels as well, but I don't see any way around that other than changing the driver.

I just checked my Lee Filter Swatch Book, and it has a nice selection of different levels of neutral density filters, as well as an excellent selection of diffusion material.

The nice thing about this approach is that you can also change the tint at the same time (if you want, or not) to get it even more precisely where you want it.

See this thread for suppliers:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320811-Changing-LED-Tint-With-Filters

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to clarify, you wouldn't be "replacing" the front glass cover. What you get is a set of 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" acetate filters. I haven't counted them, but there are a LOT, in many different colors and varying strengths of those colors. This is meant to be a sample book for use by lighting designers to help them pick the correct color filter. Then they would order the full size one.

However, we've found they are the right size for many of our smaller flashlights, and you simply go through the sample pack and pick the one you like, then you cut it to size and if possible, install it behind the glass front cover.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi SOYCD,

If this particular ReVo of yours is primarily a bedside light, what I've done for my bedside ReVo is place a single QTC into the middle of the rubber disk on underside of the head. The corners of the QTC engage the center of the disk with an interference fit and it stays put. Although doing this creates a single mode UI, using the ReVo's lowest level, since it's merely for those middle of the night trips to the library or fridge, it's worked great.

Although I have other AAAs for outside the bedroom, if I want that particular ReVo, I simply pop out the QTC and revert it back to the stock UI. Since my QTC ReVo gets minimal, but nightly usage, the QTC has thus far not shown any wear after two months due to very light sheer force and protection of excessive sheer from the rubber disk. So although you lose the multi-modes while the QTC is being used in this application, you save your dark-adjusted eyes.

Additionally, although I have also diffused the lens with dedicated diffusion film, I actually prefer satin, matte finish, gift wrap tape to maintain a touch of throw as you also prefer.

If you prefer not to use QTC to maintain the UI, I've also just added extra layers of tape until the low level is barely visible. However, any throw is lost, so after the first layer of tape or diffusion film is applied properly, perhaps you could figure a way to create a centered hole in the the next layer(s).

I'll check in periodically to read if you have determined a final solution. Good luck!

All the best,
John

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
try out the thurnite Ti or T1? anyways, its a AAA keychain light that starts on low at .04 lumens, and has a high of 60 lumens.
its $16. not officially released yet. but there is a batch of promos out, with reviews up already.

and... was it difficult to mod the revo? i thought the preons were potted?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hardest part about the Preon mod was opening the head. Lots of glue holding it and not much to grip onto; it's easy to mess up the threads that screw onto the body. Once getting the head open, the actual LED swap is one of the easiest I've done.

Okay - so two votes for the QTC. I wonder if there is anyway to maintain the 3-levels if you are fast enough with the switching? Maybe remove the battery crusher protection from the bottom to make a more compressed action?

I'm also going to check out those filters as they may have more practical applications and they are pretty much free with paid shipping.

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hardest part about the Preon mod was opening the head. Lots of glue holding it and not much to grip onto; it's easy to mess up the threads that screw onto the body. Once getting the head open, the actual LED swap is one of the easiest I've done.

Okay - so two votes for the QTC. I wonder if there is anyway to maintain the 3-levels if you are fast enough with the switching? Maybe remove the battery crusher protection from the bottom to make a more compressed action?

I'm also going to check out those filters as they may have more practical applications and they are pretty much free with paid shipping.

SOYCD,

I stand corrected, after putting QTC in the new Thrunite Ti AAA tonight, when I was doing some output comparisons with my ReVo that also has QTC, I realized that the ReVo does in fact maintain its UI.

All the best,
John

Last edited: