Beam Modification Systems.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me it's looking likely that beam modification systems are coming to headlamp land. By which I mean screw-in filters, lenses, and reflectors that tailor the beam to a user's liking. Or am I just dreaming a system that doesn't exist, and will never exist? Those knurled bezels on the Spark SD series are making me 'spicious that beam mod systems are on the way (otherwise why the knurling?), and Xyber has promised a screw-on reflector for the super-wide floods that would narrow and concentrate the beam. Can a lens or a filter be far behind? And of course the SF Saints already have snap-over filters.

Planned user modification. Where might this lead? If anywhere? Do you want, for example, the ability to add a little more tint to your beam, or turn it red, or to concentrate or expand the beam somewhat? Or is it better to just buy a different headlamp that has a different beam, and have multiple headlamps for various purposes? Please discuss.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I love p60 lights so much.
Having a standardized system allows the aftermarket to develop
some pretty cool add-ons and options.

the ST series was ALMOST large enough for p60/d26 modules.

being able to switch drivers emitters reflectors optics and lenses
makes for TONS of tinkering and specializing for those of us who
like to geek out on this stuff.

most users will just want to turn the thing on and use it stock in
whatever mode it turns on in tho..

anyways, Im excited to see what they come up with!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
it seems like several headlamp makers already know that there's a need for beam variety in a headlamp - Petzl XP 2 is a good example that has a throwy beam, a diffuser that works, and a red light option. and there are a bunch of others that at least make the attempt at providing a variety of beams in one unit. the trouble seems to be packaging that into a system that actually works well and is also streamlined.

i don't know if screw on diffusers are the future. i'd like it if headlamp makers could come up with something more like the Surefire flip diffusers. i think the option of a change on the fly type of system has a lot of advantages over a screw in type. but who knows. i guess we'll see what happens.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think the option of a change on the fly type of system has a lot of advantages over a screw in type.

Yeah, you wouldn't be losing them.

If I had a light that allowed beam modification, I would likely make a particular "stack" of modifications (I'd either spread or focus the beam to around 90 degrees and add a little rose-colored tint) and then leave it that way as a semi-permanent modification.

Although for a night hike I'd want to focus more tightly, maybe to 60 degrees. But I'd likely leave it there for the duration of the hike.

But others might like to make lots of mods on the fly, in which case a "turret" approach might work. But there goes your streamlining.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see things like that but I have enough headlamps now that I don't plan to buy anymore for a good long time regardless of what they come up with.

The biggest single thing most headlamp manufacturers could do would be to make it easy to access the lens like you can do with most/many flashlights. I know Spark does this but I would like to see all of them do it including the 3 AAA plastic ones using plastic optics.

If you can get to the lens/reflector regardless of what system is used an individual can customize it pretty easily. Just use some diffusion film and/or a filter and you can correct much of what might bother you.

If you could program the UI that would be nice as well. With a UI like that in Zebralights I wouldn't need to program anything but for others I would.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of Zebralight. They've taken the approach of many different beam profiles in different models, which gives lots of great choices, but their lenses seem particularly difficult to modify by the user.