Just scored a Princeton Tec Apex Extreme 8AA

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to my incredibly good fortune, a friend of mine unexpectedly presented me with one of these today. I've seen some info on these, and they look like pretty solid lights. I have a Princeton Tec Scout and it's worked pretty well, I've never had a nice one with a separate battery pack and different LED's.

It came with 8 Duracell AA's in the battery pack, dated March 2017. My CPF Spidey senses tingled and I pictured them encrusted with white battery acid. Any danger of these things leaking in the battery pack? I think I need to get more Eneloops to feed this baby, but should I pull them out of the battery pack if I'm not using it?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any danger of these things leaking in the battery pack? I think I need to get more Eneloops to feed this baby, but should I pull them out of the battery pack if I'm not using it?

It is my limited understanding that alkalines can leak at any time during their life, but Energizer and Duracell cells do so less often than crapnoname brands. Get some peace of mind at Food Lion and blow $22 and get 8 LSD NiMHs of whatever flavor are there. Or order online for a bit cheaper.

Edit: I don't own or use primary cells except in one or two lights with non-leaking Energizer L91 'lithium' 1.7v cells.

WDR65

Enlightened
Sween1911,
Congrats on a great gift. I use my Extreme all the time now that deer season is in. As for the batteries, I left the duracells in mine for over a year but I checked them every once in a while. I also used the battery meter on the Apex to give me an idea of how low they had gotten. I change mine normally as soon as the meter goes to red.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't believe just the next day, the power went out! The headlamp came in amazingly handy two days ago on Saturday when we got the unexpected snow here in Pennsylvania. Was able to cook dinner (love a gas range) and entertain the kids until the power came back on.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Congrats,

The Apex Extreme is my outdoors headlamp of choice. I use regular, off the shelf energizers. I do change them out once a year. There has been some talk recently on this forum of the pivot point breaking. I have had no issues and I do know from past experience, PT is easy to work with on warranty issues. Just be sure to get a return authorization number first. Other than that, it is a sweet light. In cold weather put the battery pack in your jacket to keep the batteries warm.

Enjoy your new headlamp

stevep

Newly Enlightened
Due to my incredibly good fortune, a friend of mine unexpectedly presented me with one of these today. I've seen some info on these, and they look like pretty solid lights. I have a Princeton Tec Scout and it's worked pretty well, I've never had a nice one with a separate battery pack and different LED's.

It came with 8 Duracell AA's in the battery pack, dated March 2017. My CPF Spidey senses tingled and I pictured them encrusted with white battery acid. Any danger of these things leaking in the battery pack? I think I need to get more Eneloops to feed this baby, but should I pull them out of the battery pack if I'm not using it?

I would not take a chance on the batteries.
Eneloops is the way to go, as you know.
I use this light almost every night during hot weather to walk.
I got two sets of batteries and a charger that holds 8 cells at Thomas Distributing.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not take a chance on the batteries.
Eneloops is the way to go, as you know.
I use this light almost every night during hot weather to walk.
I got two sets of batteries and a charger that holds 8 cells at Thomas Distributing.

Thanks for chiming in! I was just coming back to this thread to report that a coworker and I are planning some night hikes in a local park. The Apex will be perfect! And YES I need more Eneloops! :)

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
So we did our second night hike last night. We had a great time, and this headlamp works perfectly. It's difficult at first to locate the buttons by feel, especially with gloves on, but after awhile it becomes second nature. Even with him ahead of me, I can use the quad LED's on high or low to light the way, he simply steps aside a bit to let the light hit the trail. The headband works well and is very comfortable, with or without a hat.

I got some good pics and video last night, I'll post them up at some point.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, it's been almost exactly a year!

Got an overnight camping / survival class this weekend coming up, got all the gear out, and inadvertantly stepped on the round, clear plastic tub that encases the battery holder for the Apex Extreme. Grrrr... I have an email out to Princeton Tec to see if they can provide a replacement.

In the meantime, I'm still going to take it, just maybe with a plastic bag around the battery holder in the nylon case.

Oh yeah, I have 8 rechargeable AA's ready to go too. :)

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Just got off the phone with Princeton Tec, a new battery tube will be on its way out to me.

2) I tried Energizer NiMH batts, but no lighty. Charged them up and put them in, it just doesn't respond. Alkalines are working fine. I do not under any circumstances leave them in the light, I have them in a ziploc bag with the light.