• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Versuvius, my favorite AAA sized light. Beamshot comparison...

Death's Head

Enlightened
With a momentary switch, and a modified Moddoo clip, I will be carrying this light quite often. And I've gotta say, the ramping of this light is the smoothest I've used on any Peak light to date.
DSC08371.jpg

Here is a few beamshots of the Versuvius to show it compares to a few other lights that I had on line.

Peak Eiger Narrow Beam rated at 225 lumens according to Bob at em-mgt.com.
DSC08348.jpg

Peak Logan rated at 300 lumens according to Oveready.
DSC08350.jpg

Mac's Customs XM-L EDC that's rated at 575 lumens as tested by Mac.
DSC08354.jpg

And here's the Versuvius that's supposed to have a bare bulb output of 650 lumens. Probably has a OTF output of around 500 lumens.
DSC08352.jpg

As you can see, the beam is very floody. The beam actually resembles the Mac's Custom Tri-EDC. And here's a pic of the LED in moonlight mood. I could actually get the bulb even lower, but it was almost too dark to photograph.
DSC08366.jpg

Just one awesome light.
DSC08373.jpg

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshot comparisons Death's Head, it will help me in deciding my next purchase. I was thinking about picking up another Vesuvius or Logan, but now I'm torn between the Rainier, Everest, Logan, Vesuvius or Eiger (in that order).

Peaks are addictive!!!

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nicely done..... both the beamshots, which do an excellent job of showing the relative beams, and the way you've finished out the Vesuvius with a nice clip and momentary switch. You've done Curt proud!

I'm curious, which momentary switch are you using with that clip? From what I can tell there seem to be 3 different switches to choose from with varying lengths of contact point.

jonesy

Enlightened
That light looks awesome, and seems like a perfect EDC light! I've recently jumped into buying AAA lights and absolutely love the form factor, and one with peak build quality, the huge lumens, clip and momentary would be hard to pass up. Can you elaborate a bit more on the clip and momentary switch? I thought the momentary switch was a no-go on this light, and I haven't seen a clip on an eiger-sized light before.

As an aside, it hardly seems worth it carrying a huge light around anymore when there is a generation of tiny, AAA-based lights that can run on rechargeables and make much more power.

You have a great light there, may it serve you well!

Death's Head

Enlightened
That light looks awesome, and seems like a perfect EDC light! I've recently jumped into buying AAA lights and absolutely love the form factor, and one with peak build quality, the huge lumens, clip and momentary would be hard to pass up. Can you elaborate a bit more on the clip and momentary switch? I thought the momentary switch was a no-go on this light, and I haven't seen a clip on an eiger-sized light before.

As an aside, it hardly seems worth it carrying a huge light around anymore when there is a generation of tiny, AAA-based lights that can run on rechargeables and make much more power.

You have a great light there, may it serve you well!
Thanks man.

Here's a video that shows a modified clip on an Eiger, which has about the same body as the Versuvius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKY5A03q-Vs&feature=feedu
The clip was purchased from Oveready.com. It is designed for Peaks with a wider diameter body such as the Logan and El Capitan. The portion of the clip that keychain attachment or momentary switch is threaded through has been grounded down so that it is flush with the narrower body of the Versuvius. You can see that the clip sits up higher on the body of the Versivius (and Eiger in the video). Doesn't look at of place to me though. And the clip functions perfectly. This is my second modified clip, and so problems to report. I think Oveready plans to make Eiger sized clips, but not sure when it's going to be, but in the meantime, I'm perfectly satisfied with these modified ones.

And to answer you question with the momentary switch. The momentary switch does work. There are two QTC compatible momentary switches. One is longer while the other is shorter. You will have to purchase the longer QTC version. I believe Bob only has the new, shorter ones, and these do not work properly with the Versuvius. The previous longer QTC momentary switches are still available at Oveready though, but I'm sure Bob can acquire some as well.

Also, I'm with you with the AAA sized lights. I'm a huge fan, regardless of the disadvantages of having a smaller battery, and not to mention the heat generated from this light when having it on full power for more than a few minutes. But for my needs, this light will serve me well.

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great pics, really gives a great idea of the beam. I'm curious on the operation of the peak momentary with QTC. Do you push a little for a little light, more for, well, more? Twist the head for constant as with a non-momentary switch? Or does the switch just turn on the light (momentarily) to wherever the head is currently tightened? WOuld this make it two hands necessary to adjust while the light is on? I'm curious about this, but if it is the first option I mention, I might be buying this set up very shortly!

Thanks!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is as you described in your first option. You have to push pretty hard to get to full output though, and if you have big hands like me it's not easy to hold onto. The Logan is a bit better in this regard due to its larger size.

archimedes

Flashaholic
how does this compare to the Eiger X?

Vesuvius was rated at approximately 650 bulb lumen (XM-L emitter), versus the Eiger-X rated at approximately 425 bulb lumen (XP-G emitter).

The Vesuvius has a relatively floody beam, as does the Eiger-X. The Eiger-Ultra-X is similar to the Eiger-X (both 425 lumen XP-G LED), except the larger Logan-sized bezel and narrow optic provides more throw (a "turbo-head", if you like).

I do not think the Vesuvius is currently in production, however.

Last edited: