VaraPower Turbo

tolkaze

Enlightened
I noticed this a few days ago on the Lambdalights page, but haven't heard anything about it. I did a search, but didn't turn up anything...

Any details? anybody going to get one?

All I have found is a few images from another forum, and a few stats

5700K with LED dome lens in place:
115,000 lux @ 12.84 Amps

6500K with LED dome lens removed:
165,000 lux @ 11.60 Amps

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
So is it like the original varapower with a larger diameter head? Any guestimate on the diameter of the head?

I get almost 80,000 lux with dome removed on the original, copper varapower... 165K would be nice in a light that size!

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I may sell my VP1000C to finance this one! People are AMAZED when I pull it out ! Especially since it looks like a bone stock Mag!

gqlux

Newly Enlightened
Yup, have both the VP2K and a New VPT both 6500 de-domed and have to say that the VP2K sits on the shelf now! This is one of the prototypes from Kevin (without the collar).
IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2198.jpg

Last edited:

gqlux

Newly Enlightened
so it out throws it? More spill, or is it less?
Thanks
Tony

To my eyes, yes has more spill. The hot spot on a white wall is significantly brighter with lights side by side (batteries topped off and swapped to double check), which leads me to think what I'm seeing as greater throw is true. I do not have the equipment to test actual lux figures etc.

Regards,
gqlux

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, what kind of runtimes do you get with the turbo? I'm guessing on the highest one it should be around 20 minutes? But more importantly what about the lower modes like around at 1000 or even only 500-600 lumens?

Last edited:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I posted this on FLN:
Got a chance to compare the SR-90 to the VP2KT. Here are a couple of cell phone pictures.

Olight SR90 and VP2KT early model
0106121835.jpg

Beamshots

SR90
0106121821.jpg

VP2KT
0106121822.jpg

The throw of the VP2KT may not be as evident in the pictures as it is in person, but to the eye it beats the SR90. I haven't tried turning a street light off with this VP though. The regular model VP2K as great as it is does not have the lux in either the domed or dedomed to accomplish this. The SR90 would every time. The SR90 has a tighter beam, as you might expect with its even larger reflector, and relatively low amounts of spill light. The VP2KT has an even brighter beam and absolutely copious amounts of spill. I expect this light to test at higher lux and way higher lumens. I'll probably not get rid of the SR90 but the VP2KT makes it pretty much a backup searchlight.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
No, the one made now has the silver collar and should have the potential for more heat sinking capacity. I wouldn't expect a difference in output between this model and the current model.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
The Olight claims 2200 lumens, but only measures 1300-1400OTF and has lux 110k-120k. The Lambda VP2KT is the same basic light as the Varapower 2K version two with direct copper bonding. The regular VP2k has measured 2100-2300 OTF and expect lux numbers as similar to slightly higher than the Olight, with this light pulling more amps but with a smaller reflector. I've got a number big lights and this one is the most impressive of them all.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
A friend was at the Sportsman's show in Cleveland and went by the Olight booth. They had the SR90 selling it for retail 449.99. The rep was showing it off to him. My buddy told him he's got a light that blows it away. Well, I guess the dealer was a little taken back, since he told him the big Olight was the most powerful single LED light you can get. So he told them that I've got a M@GLite that blows it away. Well they guy said that M@Gs aren't even close. My friend told him, "well i've got mine in the truck, I'll get it."
Now my friend went out and brought back his VP2K 4500k, way awesome color temp BTW. He had it ready at like 4 clicks up, out of 30ish, from the lowest setting. They guy's happy to see he was right cause at that setting it looks like a normal M@G. Then my friend said hold on let me turn it up a little. He flicks it up to full power and blows the bigger light away. The guy is like, umm that's not stock is it. Nope, it's got rechargeable batteries, my friend tells him.
I know it's a pissing contest but it's nice to show the bigger manufactures that they need to keep on their toes if they want to impress us. I think when you make claims about the brightest or whatever you should pay a 12yr old to do google search. But I doubt this guy will ever doubt a M@glite.

Noobiwan

Newly Enlightened
Outer Galactic Rim Of The Coruscant Star System
A friend was at the Sportsman's show in Cleveland and went by the Olight booth. They had the SR90 selling it for retail 449.99. The rep was showing it off to him. My buddy told him he's got a light that blows it away. Well, I guess the dealer was a little taken back, since he told him the big Olight was the most powerful single LED light you can get. So he told them that I've got a M@GLite that blows it away. Well they guy said that M@Gs aren't even close. My friend told him, "well i've got mine in the truck, I'll get it."
Now my friend went out and brought back his VP2K 4500k, way awesome color temp BTW. He had it ready at like 4 clicks up, out of 30ish, from the lowest setting. They guy's happy to see he was right cause at that setting it looks like a normal M@G. Then my friend said hold on let me turn it up a little. He flicks it up to full power and blows the bigger light away. The guy is like, umm that's not stock is it. Nope, it's got rechargeable batteries, my friend tells him.
I know it's a pissing contest but it's nice to show the bigger manufactures that they need to keep on their toes if they want to impress us. I think when you make claims about the brightest or whatever you should pay a 12yr old to do google search. But I doubt this guy will ever doubt a M@glite.

Lol, that's funny. I can just picture the rep's face in amazement. I bet he told his fellow co-workers how a M@gLIte just blew away a $450 search light.