Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: VaraPower Turbo

Thumbs up Re: VaraPower Turbo

Yes I sent an email to lambda, but it is overwhelmed ...
    Registration is disabled on the forum: FNF. Since then, more than a year. . .
    but I do not despair. Though. . .
    ok, I'll post a WTB in the marketplace.
    Thank ...

Default Re: VaraPower Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomy44 View Post
    Yes I sent an email to lambda, but it is overwhelmed ...
    Registration is disabled on the forum: FNF. Since then, more than a year. . .
    but I do not despair. Though. . .
    ok, I'll post a WTB in the marketplace.
    Thank ...
    If you want to register in fnf you have to send an email regarding this to flashlightnews (at) gmail.com . It says so on the main forum page. I also registered like this.

*Flashaholic*

BTW - Does the VPT V2 come focused, or do you have to focus it?

It won't stop raining out here to play with it...but some beam shots looked too broad compared to what was expected for a dedomed light, etc?

(Different exposures, same shot)

I think mine came focused when I received it, but I thought the head had come loose or something and screwed it all the way in before turning it on the first time. When I turned it on after that the beam looked horrible and way to floody.

You have to screw the head out by maybe 4-5mm for perfect focus. You have to do it outside in the dark. I just point it at the sky and when the beam looks really bright and parallel with only a dim corona then it's basically in perfect focus. In this position it does produce a slight donut hole in the distance. In both pictures the light seems to ave a very big bright corona?

When I get my lux meter I will try focusing it with this and see if i can get perfect focus. What I would really like is a spacer of some kind which goes between the reflector and the heatsink. I want to be able to screw the head down all the way for perfect focus.

Regarding those 2 pictures I can't tell too much of a difference between them. The exposure times must be really similar? In the bottom picture the white balance is different since the light seems to have a warmer tint.

*Flashaholic*

I think the camera was on "Macro" in the first set, and macro was off in the second. (I was taking a pic of the light, then shots with it...so the first shot was a close up right in front of the camera (Switched to macro), and the second off in the distance...but some I forgot to switch back.)

I looked at some other pics from that night, and I noticed that the area behind the trees on the right seemed ot get brighter regardless...then I remembered that there was a large lighted parking lot on the other side of the tree line, and the lot's lights were probably adding light pollution once they kicked on (The area glowed more in the later shots). I think that this explained to me why all the shots, for all the lights after a certain time all seemed to have that added glow there. There was a lot of crap in the air, and that crap dispersed at lot of light, adding to the light's glow, and the sky there, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    I think the camera was on "Macro" in the first set, and macro was off in the second. (I was taking a pic of the light, then shots with it...so the first shot was a close up right in front of the camera (Switched to macro), and the second off in the distance...but some I forgot to switch back.)

I looked at some other pics from that night, and I noticed that the area behind the trees on the right seemed ot get brighter regardless...then I remembered that there was a large lighted parking lot on the other side of the tree line, and the lot's lights were probably adding light pollution once they kicked on (The area glowed more in the later shots). I think that this explained to me why all the shots, for all the lights after a certain time all seemed to have that added glow there. There was a lot of crap in the air, and that crap dispersed at lot of light, adding to the light's glow, and the sky there, etc.
    Ok, thanks for taking them though, I can't do any unfortunately because my Nokia N8 can't do long exposures

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Ok, it's been a long time since I've taken beamshots so bear with me until I get it right. I don't have any place to go right now for distance so this is just more of a "brute force" type lighting, my shed was about 40ft away. I was trying to get the spill to show up as I saw it, and ended up setting my camera for a 5 second exposure time which kind of overexposed the spot. I'll try to get better ones.

Thanks for taking the pictures!

The TK35 almost looks like daylight.

The Varapower shots look like it's daytime and an incoming meteor is about to demolish your shed!

*Flashaholic*

OK, I JUST had a chance last night to check the focus on the VPT - and yes, turning the head did change the focus, and did allow me to make the beam more tightly focused....so its more SR90-ish, and less TK70-ish.

I didn't get pics, because it just won't stop raining...it was just raining a bit less so I went for it to check focus at least.

Does anyone know when is it available again? Tried to email him but never got reply

*Flashaholic*

OK, finally stopped raining when I also had the lights with me...

Zoomed on round tree ~ 405 meters away:

VPT - I did turn the head to focus it, and it DID help to make the beam throwier.

Less Zoomed:

Comparison Shot with Dedomed Olight SR90:

Very nice TEEJ, thanks for posting these.

I guess the SR90 has remained king. The VPT does do noticeably more lumens though. The hotspot looks bigger and there seems to be a corona. In the sr-90 shot the ground is rather dark between the spot and spill. The spill itself of both lights looks to be about identical.
    The sky in the sr-90 shot looksa little brighter than in the vpt shots?
    If only Kevin would make a higher quality head with a much better relector. I will continue to hope and keep bugging him
    BTW theres a deer standing in the middle of your first 2 shots

Maybe you could buy or borrow of the new olight sr-95 UTs and do an ultiat de-doed comparison

I'll bet Kevin comes up something new

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    Very nice TEEJ, thanks for posting these.

I guess the SR90 has remained king. The VPT does do noticeably more lumens though. The hotspot looks bigger and there seems to be a corona. In the sr-90 shot the ground is rather dark between the spot and spill. The spill itself of both lights looks to be about identical.
    The sky in the sr-90 shot looksa little brighter than in the vpt shots?
    If only Kevin would make a higher quality head with a much better relector. I will continue to hope and keep bugging him
    BTW theres a deer standing in the middle of your first 2 shots

Maybe you could buy or borrow of the new olight sr-95 UTs and do an ultiat de-doed comparison

The sky changes a little as the sun was still setting/shining up at some clouds there...plus, there's a complex on the other side of the tree line, and the lot's lights add to sky glow when they come on at dusk, etc.

I make notes as to what I see when shooting, and then try to make the scene that's lit by the lights reflect what my eyes had seen.

Note that the SR90 was dedomed...hence the smaller hot area, dimmer gap from spill to hot spot....as it took some of the light that used to fill that gap, and concentrated it more to the center for better throw.

Overall, the VPT2 reminds me more of the TK70 beam shape.

TK70 shot under roughly same conditions as above.

VPT2

The TK70 puts more light at mid range, but less intensity, but a broader area, at full range...and starts to run out of gas at ranges too much past that tree.

So, the camera is new, and was on auto as surmised. I have to read the manual to figure out how to make it do manual stuff and with the self timer to avoid shake.

Last edited by TEEJ; 06-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Does anyone know when VPT2 going to be available again? Or anything new coming out?
    Try to email him but I guess same problems with other..never get reply.

It comes with the original head and the turbo, they are interchangeable. I have one, super bright!!!

Flashaholic*

He is usually swamped with work, but he does reply.
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

Just got his email, Kevin just got an injury.

Man all this excitement and a de-domed SR90 is still the throw king?

Even the TK70 looks brighter in those last shots but I'm guessing its because it has less spill and less throw so all its light it concentrated in to one sort of flood beam because in the longer shots a couple pages back the VPT is easily the winner in output and throw.

WHY has nobody tried a de-domed VPT with SR90 reflector???
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

I postet some lux measurements of the VPT and some other throwers over here. My de-domed 4000K vPT V2 did 220,640 lux@1m

Quote Originally Posted by VIET PRIDE BULLIES View Post
    Does anyone know when VPT2 going to be available again? Or anything new coming out?
    Try to email him but I guess same problems with other..never get reply.
    I just checked out the VPT2 webpage and saw that Lambda has updated 2 things.
    1. SBT-90 Leds are now available as an option. They add 30$ to the price.
    2. He changed the date to July 2012

The SBT-90 leds are only available in 6500K and 5700K. This means that my configuration might not be available any more (4000K de-domed).

I'm guessing he will do another build soon, so keep checking the website and his FNF subforum.

Thanks The_Driver:
    I got his email and a few going to be available this July

Flashaholic

I really want one of these lights but they are never available when I look.

Quote Originally Posted by birderbill View Post
    Yes, it has a new, permanently mounted "turbo" head. Its supposedly a little over 3" dia.
    I have one. It comes with the turbo dead and the original mag head. You can use either one.

Is there any way to put an SR90 head on the VPT? And are there any numbers on the SBT-90? I was pretty disappointed with the numbers for the SBT-90 SR95 compared to a De-domed SR90.

Also how many SST-90 LED variants are there? What is the difference between the SBT-90 and CBT-90?
    Last edited by ScaryFatKidGT; 07-16-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
    Is there any way to put an SR90 head on the VPT? And are there any numbers on the SBT-90? I was pretty disappointed with the numbers for the SBT-90 SR95 compared to a De-domed SR90.
    As far as I know: no. The problem is that the SR-90s electronics are inside the head. If you want numbers look at the datasheets from Luminus (here). The SB-T is essentially the same thing as th de-domed SST-90. I don't know if the glass window on top changes the performance that much. What you have to remember is that the SR-90 has a way bigger reflector than the SR-91.

Also how many SST-90 LED variants are there? What is the difference between the SBT-90 and CBT-90?
    There are many variants. Just take a look at the Luminus Website. The CB-T 90 is a SB-T soldered onto a thick copper pcb. It also has a connector so you don't need to solder wires to it. The CB-T is heat-sinked better than SST-90s on star pcbs and is either to use during manufacturing (Projectors for example). Soldering SST-90s and SB-Ts directly onto big copper heatsinks is by far the best way of heat-sinking.

We have basically talked about all the variants of the led now. They also have color versions, UV versions and a quad-die version.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    As far as I know: no. The problem is that the SR-90s electronics are inside the head. If you want numbers look at the datasheets from Luminus (here). The SB-T is essentially the same thing as th de-domed SST-90. I don't know if the glass window on top changes the performance that much. What you have to remember is that the SR-90 has a way bigger reflector than the SR-91.
    The SR90 Reflector is just so much bigger than the VPT one.

No I ment SR95, the SR90's replacement. Heres how I see it
    SR90 1400lm 100-110k lux De-domed just over 200k lux it almost doubles????
    SR95 2000lm and 113.5k lux according to Selfbuilt
    SR95UT said to basically be a de-domed SR95 1300lm 166.5k lux according to selfbuilt. This is still 40k lux away from what a de-domed SR90 will do
    VPT I forget, peoples measurements are in this thread I think about 160k lux stock and around 200k for a de-domed but the beam seems to spread out (more v shaped) than the SR90.

The greatest % increase here is the SR90 and I believe it is from that Giant reflector. I take it you can't stick a De-domed SR95's guts in to the SR90 either du to the head differences?

The SR90 Reflector is just so much bigger than the VPT one.

No I ment SR95, the SR90's replacement. Heres how I see it
    SR90 1400lm 100-110k lux De-domed just over 200k lux it almost doubles????
    SR95 2000lm and 113.5k lux according to Selfbuilt
    SR95UT said to basically be a de-domed SR95 1300lm 166.5k lux according to selfbuilt. This is still 40k lux away from what a de-domed SR90 will do
    VPT I forget, peoples measurements are in this thread I think about 160k lux stock and around 200k for a de-domed but the beam seems to spread out (more v shaped) than the SR90.

The greatest % increase here is the SR90 and I believe it is from that Giant reflector. I take it you can't stick a De-domed SR95's guts in to the SR90 either du to the head differences?

Yes, the extremely nice reflector of the sr-90 makes a big difference. The VPT throws so good because of the extreme intensity and brute force lumens at 15A. The VPT mit dome on was measured at 115,000 lux by Kevin.
    The SR-95s reflector is probably not that much better than the one in the VPT.

There are 2 VPT test units for sale right now (check Lambda's newest threas in his fnf subforum) and also 2 2d xm-l versions