ThruNite P60L Style CREE XML OTF Lumens

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
I use one every night at work as a secondary duty light and it is very bright. Mine(single mode) wont operate correctly on more than 6v input even though it's supposed to go up to 9v. It also has more throw than any other p60 I've used. For the price you definitly get more than you pay for.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested several of these types at 1.5A from Solarforce too. All make 420~450 OTF lumens.

Im guessing a really good U2 bin can easily make over 450 OTF and due to low current and low heat the lumens are impressively stable. How much the drop-ins improved over the past year is incredible.

Recall Malkoff MC-E P60 drop-ins in Direct Drive mode only made low 400ish at 4A to the LED, then the P7 in Direct Drive mid 350 OTF at 3A to the LED and these were impressive for their time.:duh2:

bigC

SG688

Newly Enlightened
I use one every night at work as a secondary duty light and it is very bright. Mine(single mode) wont operate correctly on more than 6v input even though it's supposed to go up to 9v. It also has more throw than any other p60 I've used. For the price you definitly get more than you pay for.

FWIW, I'm using one in a 3-cell 9Z with no problem.

wackz28

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I think that the unit that I have is defective, but it works on either 6v or 4.2v perfectly so I really can't complain....

I just got the single mode drop-in as well, it is extremely bright, however I'm having the same problem as you are with it shutting down after only a few minutes of use. I run mine in a 2x18500 Leef body and use a Lighthound SS bezel. The head only gets moderately warm with use, and I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't perhaps have a thermal protection switch in it? I can turn the switch off on my light then turn it back on and it will fire right back up though. Really frustrating, perhaps it is just a defective unit. Time till it shuts off normally from switch on is roughly 5 minutes. Is this similar to how your drop-in is functioning?

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
I just got the single mode drop-in as well, it is extremely bright, however I'm having the same problem as you are with it shutting down after only a few minutes of use. I run mine in a 2x18500 Leef body and use a Lighthound SS bezel. The head only gets moderately warm with use, and I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't perhaps have a thermal protection switch in it? I can turn the switch off on my light then turn it back on and it will fire right back up though. Really frustrating, perhaps it is just a defective unit. Time till it shuts off normally from switch on is roughly 5 minutes. Is this similar to how your drop-in is functioning?

Yeah, that sounds exactly like mine. I'm wondering if it has a thermal cut off and since it doesn't have a second level to drop to, it just cuts out.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Does your module fit snug in your host? It could be reducing output due to heat build up.

dm_graham308

Newly Enlightened
Update: I put a fresh AW18650 in my 6PD with the Thrunite module installed. I turned it on and nothing happened. I pulled off the head and the lamp assembly was smoking. Now it puts out about 10 lumens. I'm guessing that its a driver issue.

Loomin

Newly Enlightened
I am seriously doubting the advertised 450+ ouput on mine. I purchased the XM-L 4.2v 3-mode verion from BJ. I am comparing the output with my 4sevens NW quark X 123x2. It is rated about 325OTF lumens (the NW version) from 4-7s. Yet independant studies by CPFers say it's closer to 250 lumens max. So my doubt comes from the idea that my 250-320 lumen (given the benefit of the doubt on lumens) light looks noticably brighter, hot spot AND spill, than the 460 OTF thrunite?? Even though NW should naturally look "dimmer" than the cool white like the thrunite. It works fine and i don't think it's defective, just not what i expected. And it's not a heat issue.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUMPITY BOO-- ThruNite P60L Style CREE XML OTF Lumens

I want to resurrect this thread, because I'm having the issues grahmn and wackz are having.
I'm using this dropin in a Surefire C3 with extender, and 2x AW 17670 cells. The cells are about 5 or 6 years old, at least. The light stays on for about 2-5 minutes, then shuts off. If I turn on and off, or even double tap the switch, it lights back up, for another 20 seconds to 1 minute.
Is this an issue with the cells I'm using, or the dropin itself? I either need to buy new cells or a new dropin. And if it's the cells, I'll end up buying both in the end....

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: BUMPITY BOO-- ThruNite P60L Style CREE XML OTF Lumens

I had one a few years back and I believe that the 460 rating was OTF but I could be wrong. I thought the output was good and it seemed like a step up in quality from Solarforce drop-ins.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: BUMPITY BOO-- ThruNite P60L Style CREE XML OTF Lumens

Thanks for the reply Mr Tone.
I'm specifically trying to determine if this module is turning off due to old AW 17670 cells, or an inherent issue with the module itself. I have a lower powered module, LumensFactory 9v incandecent, and it does not have this problem. Though it does not run very long, but that must be due to the power it demands from the cells.
So, anyone else like to chime in on if they have having this problem, or even any thoughts toward what it might be, old batteries or flaky module?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, just 2 18650sl so i guess i could just get a 2x18650 body like a solarforce l2 and try the module on them...

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I borrowed my brothers SolarForce L2 with extender, and tried my module in his light using Nitecore 18650s. It turned off after 5 minutes :) SO it my module, not my batteries. My bats ran his module just fine, and it is a higher output. I'll contact Thrunite and see if they can do anything for me, considering it's age.