Buying my next flashlight, any last minute suggestions?

tel0004

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a flashlight it will be stored in my nightstand. Its not for clearing my house or anything tactical. Just for times when I need a light. I would prefer something with a bit of size (around surefire 6p size is perfect).

My biggest requirement is that it has a low setting, which is available first, it will not roll when the drawer is open ( a simple pocket clip to stop it at one rotation is fine). I would also prefer it to have a decent high mode (around 150 lum. is fine, but I wouldn't mind having more.) It will be used when I know I'll be outside at night as well.

I also don't have a strong preference for AA vs CR123. I do have some eneloop batteries, so I would like an AA flashlight, but I'm not against CR123.

The light I'm leaning towards getting now is a quark X AA2. Seems to fit my needs fine, but I don't like the interface. I can imagine wanting a light at night, and if the bezel is tightened, I get hit with 300 lumens when I'm expecting moonlight mode. Not a huge deal, but I thought I would ask before I bought anything.

Also, does anybody have a relase date for the Zebralight Q50. I searched and couldn't find anything beyond the Q3 estimates, which has obviously passed. That could possibly be a contender.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA2 Regular with two Eneloops. :) If head is loose, comes on in lowest mode.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I totally agree with RoadKill's suggestion !

:thumbsup:

Plus -- if you act quickly, you can get your Quark in Neutral-White tint !

:thumbsup:
_

tel0004

Newly Enlightened
I did a bit more thinking about it, and I went with the quark X aa2. I think I was really over thinking it, and wanted too much out of one flashlight. I do want a 'wall of light flashlight' for outdoor use, but this light is for indoor use, which means I want it to have a lot more flood, and I want it to be easily pocket able with a really low setting. For those purposes, I think the Quark will be a great choice, plus with a max of 280, its still pretty damn bright.

WIth a great nightstand light out of the way, I can now concentrate on a bright *** outdoor light. WIth only occasional use I don't care about the batteries as much, and I don't need a really low setting. Something like a Malestrom S12 or similar. I think I'll be happy with my choice. I realzied that I had a bonfire to attend this weekend, so I ordered the flashlight today. If it ships tommorow, I'll have it by Saturday.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I think I was really over thinking it, and wanted too much out of one flashlight.

* * * Don't worry -- we ALL do that ! :wave:

WIth a great nightstand light out of the way, I can now concentrate on a bright *** outdoor light.

* * * I think you may find your incoming Quark already fits that description. :)
* * * Give it a try, before you proceed to decide upon yer' NEXT flashlight.

Good Luck in your quest for the Perfect Flashlight(s) !

lovecpf
_

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My suggestion is to downsize a bit and go for a Zebralight SC51w. Nice low, neutral tint, and a high somewhere around 170 lumens. Comes on low first, or high, depending on speed of the button push. Great easy to activate side switch. Check it out if you're not already familiar with the Zeebs.

Geoff

tel0004

Newly Enlightened
I don't really like the zebra light. I own as SC51, and I like it, but I don't love it. It currently resides in my cars center console full time. I actually have it sitting on my desk right now, since the battery is charging. For a nightstand light, I think the zebralight is to small, and I'm not a huge fan on the UI. Although I have figured it out now, when I first had I've reached for it at night only to give it a short click and get hit with 200 lumens. Not fun.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your budget? Have you considered HDS Systems? They have offerings from $100-$200, depending on what you want. The best UI out there IMO. Since you don't like the Zebralight, I would consider the Quark tactical, you can program the head tight and loose mode. It is fast and easy to program and you don't have to worry about clicking through modes you won't use.
EDIT: Saw you decided allready, I think you will love the Quark.

Last edited:

leeholaaho

Newly Enlightened
Quark AA2 - Can't go wrong - I use mine daily for the last two years with no problems

Enjoy

Last edited:

weez82

Enlightened
The light I'm leaning towards getting now is a quark X AA2. Seems to fit my needs fine, but I don't like the interface. I can imagine wanting a light at night, and if the bezel is tightened, I get hit with 300 lumens when I'm expecting moonlight mode. Not a huge deal, but I thought I would ask before I bought anything.

i saw your post about getting the quark. And just wanted to give you a little advice so you dont turn it on in max mode thinking you'll get moon mode. Always loosen the head after you're done using max mode. Never leave the head tightened when you're done with the light. If you give the torch to someone make sure the head is loosened when you get it back. Ive made it a habit of doing this with all my lights. I think it's good practice. And I think you'll like that quark. I have the X 123^2 and am loving it ;)

Warp

Enlightened
My suggestion is to downsize a bit and go for a Zebralight SC51w. Nice low, neutral tint, and a high somewhere around 170 lumens. Comes on low first, or high, depending on speed of the button push. Great easy to activate side switch. Check it out if you're not already familiar with the Zeebs.

Geoff

This is my main nightstand light. I use it every day (night). The low-low works great for moving around the house at night. I actually wish there was an even lower option, but I suppose it is sufficiently low.

It's somewhat amazing what they can get out of a simple AA. Speaking of which, it can be pressed into service as a pocket light as it isn't much larger than the AA battery that powers it. Just be sure to turn the tailcap a bit to lock it out before it hits your pocket

tel0004

Newly Enlightened
Got the quark today. Its a good light. Its definately a bit brighter than my zebralight, and I think the larger size makes it more comfortable to hold. Maybe I spoke out against the zebralight a bit too much. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It stays in my car, so it does get some use. And its great to have nearby when I need a bright light.

I like the quark more, because its for when I KNOW i will need a good light. For times like that, I don't mind the size. I wouldn't EDC it, but its certainly not too big.

Here are a picture of my good knives/flashlights. Bottom knife and flashlight are for EDC. Mnandi gets carried when I'm dressed up, Sebenza when I'm dressed down. If I plan to be outside at night, the quark will come along, if I'm not as well prepared, I'll grab the SC51.

img2011110400036.jpg

Now if I could just stop spending so much money on guns/knives/flashlights, I could afford a decent camera.

tony613

Newly Enlightened
Got the quark today. Its a good light. Its definately a bit brighter than my zebralight, and I think the larger size makes it more comfortable to hold. Maybe I spoke out against the zebralight a bit too much. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It stays in my car, so it does get some use. And its great to have nearby when I need a bright light.

I like the quark more, because its for when I KNOW i will need a good light. For times like that, I don't mind the size. I wouldn't EDC it, but its certainly not too big.

Here are a picture of my good knives/flashlights. Bottom knife and flashlight are for EDC. Mnandi gets carried when I'm dressed up, Sebenza when I'm dressed down. If I plan to be outside at night, the quark will come along, if I'm not as well prepared, I'll grab the SC51.

img2011110400036.jpg

Now if I could just stop spending so much money on guns/knives/flashlights, I could afford a decent camera.

:crackup: I laughed out loud when I read that, and again just now as I'm typing this. Enjoy your newest addition.