IMR Battery Issue or What?

Vernon

Enlightened
I've had an aluminum EDC XML for about two months and LOVE it; however, I've had some small but persistent issues. Here's the deal:

I'm running both AW IMR 18350's and 16340's. I get a small but noticeable flicker every once in a while. At first, I thought it must be a low battery. But it still sometimes flickers (on each L/M/H mode) even with a fully charged AW. Then I thought that maybe it was the cheap $10 Nano charger that might be causing the issue, so I bought a Pila charger hoping to get a more reliable charge. After charging the 18350 today, I popped it in and still see a small flicker at times. Granted, it works without a glitch 90% of the time, but it's still quite annoying when it happens, you know?!?

My question: is this to be expected or is something up with either my four AW batteries and/or the light itself? Is there anything else I should try?

Many thanks!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the switch fail in my Tri-EDC, causing the same sort of flicker. I'd contact Mac directly.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Make sure the light engine is tight in the head. Any looseness will result in flickering. I use a set of needle nose pliers.

Vernon

Enlightened
Thanks for weighing in here. I took your advice, KenAnderson, and grabbed the needle nose pliers. Sure enough, I got the light engine to tighten a small quarter turn (or less).

I just did it tonight, so time will tell if that's the root cause. So far so good though.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Thanks for weighing in here. I took your advice, KenAnderson, and grabbed the needle nose pliers. Sure enough, I got the light engine to tighten a small quarter turn (or less).

I just did it tonight, so time will tell if that's the root cause. So far so good though.

I suspect that should fix it. Mine did the same thing and flickered with even a small amount of looseness. If you have some deoxit from Radio Shack you can also remove the light engine and clean the threads on it and the housing and then make it good and tight. You'll likely never see the issue again.

Vernon

Enlightened
I suspect that should fix it. Mine did the same thing and flickered with even a small amount of looseness. If you have some deoxit from Radio Shack you can also remove the light engine and clean the threads on it and the housing and then make it good and tight. You'll likely never see the issue again.

You're right on. No flickering yet!

Vernon

Enlightened
I just want to follow up to confirm no flickering for two weeks. Many thanks for weighing in on my little problem and providing a quick fix.

Latest posts