Gear to help you conquer!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: JETBeam PA10

Default JETBeam PA10

Hi!

I am looking at JetBeam PA10. Its rated 650 ansi lumens on a single AA. This is a mistake right?

http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/pa10.aspx
    We mostly come out at night...mostly

Unenlightened

Default Re: JETBeam PA10

You only get that with an 14500 li-ion I should imagine. On the table further down it's rated 140 lumens for the AA.

Might be another good one for titanium innovation's primary lithium AA's. Probably somewhere in between.

Yes I see now, thanks.
    We mostly come out at night...mostly

Bugger. Believe it or not I have just come on the forum after ordering a BA10! Obsolete already??

That's a nice looking light. 4 modes and an XM-L. Hope it's not too cheap then I wont feel so bad about just spending $35 on the BA10. Still a bargain even if it is out of date.

I do like the idea of a AA sized PA10 after my horrible tinted LD10. My Xenos E03 neutral and CW are the perfect tint, even better than my ZL SC600 (pre-order model) and gets more use than any light now (especially the neutral even thought I hated it at first) and the option of a 14500 when I really want to light things up yeah! I ahve also found 240 for 45 min is plenty of light for a turbo and like the better runtime but think 30min on 650 to be a good boost for only slightly less runtime.

I do really want the forward clicky as I find them most useful for me. Anyone else think the color of the tint on the runtime graph on the above link looks blue (ie not going risk buying until neutral come out)

Can I assume you dont get the lower levels when using a 14500?
    What do you mean they blew up the death star.......... Wait....What the hell is an Aluminium Falcon?

Quote Originally Posted by davecroft View Post
    Bugger. Believe it or not I have just come on the forum after ordering a BA10! Obsolete already??

That's a nice looking light. 4 modes and an XM-L. Hope it's not too cheap then I wont feel so bad about just spending $35 on the BA10. Still a bargain even if it is out of date.
    PA10 costs 69$ at bugoutgear ....so it's not a competiton (or substitution) to budget BA10.

Thanks coolperl.

Once I calmed down a bit and looked at the PA10 specs it was obvious that it is a much higher specced light than the BA10, so not a replacement. It costs twice as much so I'm happy with my BA10 order. It's on its way - now the waiting starts...

30mins runtime on a 14500, that's pretty crappy runtime

also no step down??? hmmm... why does the bigger BC25 (650 lumens for 5mins) auto steps down to 430???

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post
    What kind of runtime do you expect at 650 lumens?

how about a BC10 for $24?
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

Quote Originally Posted by Colorblinded View Post
    What kind of runtime do you expect at 650 lumens?
    crappy, crappy runtime lol

Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post
    how about a BC10 for $24?
    That's not new in box surely? I can't find a new BC10 anywhere for less than $32.

I think the runtime is based on a 750mah 14500 battery. The truth is that you need so many mah to give so many lumens. If you think about it, that's really not bad comparing to some 18650 lights at about the same lumens level. 4x 14500 gives you a total of 3000mah and 2 hours runtime on the max 650lm. Or you can get a sc600 that runs on 18650 with less than 2 hours on 500lm and I was told the sc600 has an efficient circuit.

What I don't dig is the "user defined" mode. Can someone clarify this for me? May be my English is not that good.

The websit says "User-defined mode allows for customized brightness levels and a multitude of functions" but I found the manual online and this is quoted from the manual:

"Slightly loosening the flashlight head, the PA10
    access User-defined mode. In this mode, lightly
    press the switch rapidly to choose brightness
    and functions from “Mid-Low-Lower low-Strobe-
    SOS” circularly. Press the switch all the way down
    when reach to a desired mode. User-defined
    mode has memory function. It will memorize
    the brightness/Strobe automatically each time
    when you turn off the light."

How is that "user defined"? And I guess "customized brightness level" is customized by Jetbeam, not you. Forget about the multitude of functions for now.

Quote Originally Posted by aau007 View Post
    What I don't dig is the "user defined" mode. Can someone clarify this for me? May be my English is not that good.

The websit says "User-defined mode allows for customized brightness levels and a multitude of functions" but I found the manual online and this is quoted from the manual:

"Slightly loosening the flashlight head, the PA10
    access User-defined mode. In this mode, lightly
    press the switch rapidly to choose brightness
    and functions from “Mid-Low-Lower low-Strobe-
    SOS” circularly. Press the switch all the way down
    when reach to a desired mode. User-defined
    mode has memory function. It will memorize
    the brightness/Strobe automatically each time
    when you turn off the light."

How is that "user defined"? And I guess "customized brightness level" is customized by Jetbeam, not you. Forget about the multitude of functions for now.
    I'm guessing that by"user defined" JB means that the brightness level is selectable from 1 of the 5 modes. It does not mean it is user programmable like the IBS system. It sounds like a simple translation error. If you have a Jetbeam PA40 these should function in a similar fashion when going through the brightness levels.

Hope that helps,
    Flavio

Flavio, thanks for the clarification and that's what I thought too. They should have said "USER selects Jetbeam DEFINED mode". Their language just got me jumping when I thought they were bringing IBS back from the graveyard. I do have a few questions on this light that I don't see mentioning.

1. When using 14500, does the brightness at H,M,L,LL stay the same as when using AA? There is no other stepping available between 140lm and 650lm, correct?
    2. As far as I can understand from the manual, 650lm is only available in tactical mode when tightening the head. What happens to this mode when you are using AA battery? Does the light just come on at the AA High mode of 140lm or does it not turn on at all because you don't have a 14500 in there?
    3. When using 14500 in tactical mode (650lm), is the light current regulated or direct drive?
    Last edited by aau007; 11-03-2011 at 09:51 AM.

I think the new series of lights look great. I think I'm going to get the pa10. Today is the first I have heard anything about them, now I'm going to go nuts until I get one. Thanks everyone...=)

I was going to pre order one of these but I want to stick with just 2 battery types( 123 &18650) So I pre ordered a ajetbeam PC-20& PC-10.

Bug out gear has them for pre order.........CPFJET gets you 15% off!

Flashaholic

Is this not a mistake then?

I saw them in market place and assumed jetbeam had mixed up the outputs. The single AA puts out 650 lumens and the 2xcr123 puts out 410 lumens?

Quote Originally Posted by AutoTech View Post
    Is this not a mistake then?

I saw them in market place and assumed jetbeam had mixed up the outputs. The single AA puts out 650 lumens and the 2xcr123 puts out 410 lumens?
    They list 650 lumens on a 14500. It is only like 140 or so with a AA
    My current favorites: Quark 123^2 Tactical, EagleTac T20C2, Thrunite TN11, Fenix P1D, ZebraLight SC51W

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by aau007 View Post
    Their language just got me jumping when I thought they were bringing IBS back from the graveyard.
    Why did Jetbeam do away with IBS? I like that UI.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    They list 650 lumens on a 14500. It is only like 140 or so with a AA
    I did see that it was on a 14500, just seemed strange to me that a single aa size (albeit 14500 equipped) puts out 650 lumems and 200 more than their 2xcr123 model.

Great if it's correct, I'll be having some of that! I love a wow factor AA size light.

I did see that it was on a 14500, just seemed strange to me that a single aa size (albeit 14500 equipped) puts out 650 lumems and 200 more than their 2xcr123 model.

Great if it's correct, I'll be having some of that! I love a wow factor AA size light.
    I've been doing a lot of searching and reading recently...it seems that the light might draw too much current to safely use a typical 14500. Better to go with an IMR
    My current favorites: Quark 123^2 Tactical, EagleTac T20C2, Thrunite TN11, Fenix P1D, ZebraLight SC51W

Enlightened

well, at least it has the same fancy box as all the P series torches.
    Jetbeam has always pushed it and never put the small details and fine print on their product literature.
    Anyhow, I look forward for something that can go as far as PA10 in 14500. I hope they dont screw this one either

Hi Lautamas and aau007, i asked jetbeam about 14500 compatibility with all modes and look what they said:

Hi, Leslei,

u want to know whether have lower or other output when use 14500 battery.
    because our engineer suggest use AA battery, so they don't test by 14500 for high, middle , low & lower output, that's why we cannot provide u the data of it.

for 14500 only have test data of Turob output lumens.

tks,
    best regards,
    Service Center

How come? They engineered the product offering the possibility to use 14500 and did not test? I think they did test it and the result showed too many variations, so it was hard to make a rule about the output on 14500. Then perhaps it will depend on what pa10 sample you get or the type of 14500...well i dont know that much about flashlights, but thats what i found out and figured out. Hope that makes sense.

I guess now we should wait for someone to test and give us the long waitting question....

Cheers!
    Last edited by ieslei; 11-08-2011 at 09:57 PM.
    FENIX LD20 R4, TK12 R5, TK21 U2, TK35, QUARK Mini AA R5, THRUNITE A1. Zebralight SC51, now the SC52 on 14500 and Eagletac G25C2 MKII!

Enlightened

Thank You. I wouldnt be surprised to their answer....again...fantastic on paper only

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ieslei View Post
    Hi Lautamas and aau007, i asked jetbeam about 14500 compatibility with all modes and look what they said:

Hi, Leslei,

u want to know whether have lower or other output when use 14500 battery.
    because our engineer suggest use AA battery, so they don't test by 14500 for high, middle , low & lower output, that's why we cannot provide u the data of it.

for 14500 only have test data of Turob output lumens.

tks,
    best regards,
    Service Center

How come? They engineered the product offering the possibility to use 14500 and did not test? I think they did test it and the result showed too many variations, so it was hard to make a rule about the output on 14500. Then perhaps it will depend on what pa10 sample you get or the type of 14500...well i dont know that much about flashlights, but thats what i found out and figured out. Hope that makes sense.

I guess now we should wait for someone to test and give us the long waitting question....

Cheers!
    With a reply like that they might have well just said "it doesn't work on lower outputs on a 14500"

I won't be ordering one after reading that. If someone reviews it and they find it does work I'll no doubt get one.

colorblind read my mind,,what do you expect with 650 lumens?? huh..i mean seriously its a pocket rocket,,,thats why you buy another 14500

also no step down??? hmmm... why does the bigger BC25 (650 lumens for 5mins) auto steps down to 430???
    SLPP 4 AA LUX; AT-100 10 LED; ARC AAA P; photon 1;Pewter 2C M@G with LED drop in; NEXTORCH Saint HID; SF E1B; RR 2AAA headlight; Vector 1 MIL CP spotlight: Q-Beam 2 Mil CP spotlight ;Sams HID; L2D RB 100; 6P

With a reply like that they might have well just said "it doesn't work on lower outputs on a 14500"

I won't be ordering one after reading that. If someone reviews it and they find it does work I'll no doubt get one.
    I will definetly do the same the bad thing is now we have to wait longer to have it in our hands. i think i'll ask to the sellers to test the product on 14500 before buying it. If that works out well i'll let you know

Cheers
    FENIX LD20 R4, TK12 R5, TK21 U2, TK35, QUARK Mini AA R5, THRUNITE A1. Zebralight SC51, now the SC52 on 14500 and Eagletac G25C2 MKII!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast