FS: Black & Flat Dark Earth Cerakote...one light each flavor

archer6817j

Enlightened
I had these two lights coated as samples to test the process and see if there is any interest in Cerakote for my lights. These are nickel plated and then Cerakoted. I make a custom fixture for each light so the threads are masked as well as the inside of the head...meaning the threads retain the nickel plate as well as the mounting surface for the LED.

Cerakote is tough but it's not indestructible. You should expect it to wear, just like any other coating.

Light #1: Graphite Black (SOLD: "276")
Light #2: Flat Dark Earth

LED Options:

MCE (6500K N Bin / 5700K / 4000K)
XML (6500K U2 / 5700K / 5000K)
XRE (6500K R2)
XPG (3200K High CRI)

Price: $275 each

Egrep, I know you asked about a light in FDE so that one is yours if you want it! If not, it will be available to others. I'll also be taking orders for other Cerakoted lights if you are interested.

black_FDE.jpg

front-mask-short.jpg

Above is the setup I use for Cerakoting. I fixture each light before I send it out. There is some tricky stuff going on the in the tailcap to hold the steel dowel pin. You can see the orange silicone o-rings that resist the high temp in the curing oven. These must be thrown out after each use. The head of the light contains a teflon plug that I machined. The teflon also resists the high temperatures and can be scraped clean for re-use. The q-tip is stuck into a hole that allows the interior of the body to vent during baking, otherwise it would explode. Right now the q-tip is keeping the cerakote from getting inside the head.

caps.jpg

I created this "shadow" effect by installing an o-ring around the base of the dowel pin. I thought they would be a little "blah" without a little shine somewhere. I like that it peeks through and let's you know is not just another "coated light" that gets sprayed right on top of the base metal. I also keeps the bore of the tailcap clean...to accommodate a trit ready titanium tailcap button I'm working on. It will be a precision fit with an o-ring so the cerakote would foul the fit.

CK-threads.jpg

Here is a shot of the result of the masking. All critical conductive surfaces, o-ring grooves, and threads are still nickel. I'm not sure how other people do it, maybe they spray the cerakote over the top of the base aluminum...but that's not how I roll. These lights are precision from front to back.

I'm going to start shipping my "special" lights with these blue Flurosilicone o-rings. They are about 10 times the cost of a standard nitrile o-ring but they resist everything, especially oils and fuels. If you want to scuba dive inside a tanker truck filled with jet fuel...these are the o-rings you should use. Overkill? Is that even a question?

Last edited:

davec611

Newly Enlightened
I would have jumped on one if I hadn't ordered a brushed nickel one Monday! Maybe someday I can get one in 18350 size. :thumbsup:

Flashlight Enthusiast
the titanium pocket clips still work with these right?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take

Light #1: Graphite Black
XML U2 5700K

also with Titanium clip and the glow ring

please PM the total and your paypal info to send payment

alex

archer6817j

Enlightened
I'll take

Light #1: Graphite Black
XML U2 5700K

also with Titanium clip and the glow ring

please PM the total and your paypal info to send payment

alex

Copy that. I'll get back to you later today! Also, the U2 is 6500k and the T6 is 5700k. Which do you prefer?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine yesterday its great! The finish is superb, love the glow ring. Love the fact you get 500 real lumens on a single 18650.

egrep

Enlightened
I'm @ JFK Airport now about to head home on the last leg of my trip. Maybe if you're in the shop tomorrow I'll drop by to look at all this great work you've been putting out. Maybe abuse my wallet a bit. :) Thanks for thinking of me.

archer6817j

Enlightened
I'm @ JFK Airport now about to head home on the last leg of my trip. Maybe if you're in the shop tomorrow I'll drop by to look at all this great work you've been putting out. Maybe abuse my wallet a bit. :) Thanks for thinking of me.

At a wedding this weekend but I'll he back in the shop on Monday!

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
The flat dark earth light looks great. How did cerakote change the texture versus regular nickel finish?

archer6817j

Enlightened
The cerakote makes a uniform matte finish because the entire light gets a very fine sand blast to help the cerakote adhere. This does not remove the nickel but none of the original finish is visible. In other words you don't get any difference in texture.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Two more Carbon Black Cerakoted lights are for sale on my site! Email if you have questions :)

If you want and LED option NOT listed in the checkout options...just make an note during paypal checkout.

LED Options:

MCE (6500K N Bin / 5700K / 4000K)
XML (6500K U2 / 5700K / 5000K)
XRE (6500K R2)
XPG (3200K High CRI)