Which 2x123 for ME? Specifics inside (upgrading from Quark R5 tactical)

Warp

Enlightened
I know the form factor I like. I like a smallish 2x123 (17670 size, not 18650). ~4.5-5" long and ~0.75-0.88" in diameter, with the body and head equal in size. For the past two years it has been a Quark 123^2 Tactical R5...which is very nice by the way. For years before that it was a Fenix of nearly identical proportions. I don't care where it is made. I am open to any quality/trustworthy manufacturer. I like a more "tactical" and programmable UI, I hate having to cycle through outputs to get the one I want. If I could get the Quark on some massive steroids (except for size!) I would do that. I'd like a mix of flood/throw, perhaps more towards throw, but then with such a narrow head I know I won't really get that much throw regardless of other factors. I have a Pila IBC charger, a couple 17670s and an adequate supply of primary CR123s.

It has to be tough. My Fenix and 4Sevens lights can take a beating and go swimming quite well. I am not fan of Surefire. Too expensive, slow to advance in tech, and both of mine failed.

It has to noticeably outperform my Quark.
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_306&products_id=1654

I am looking at the new JETBeam PC20. Their 410 ANSI lumen claim is out the front, yes? Would it take a 17670? It only lists CR123 and RCRs, would the single cell have enough voltage?
http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/pc20.aspx

I don't stay up with what is happening in lights, I just have little bursts of activity where I catch up on everything here on CPF, make a purchase, hang around a short while to share my accumulated information, and then fade away only. Rinse and repeat. As we know if I hung around all the time I'd buy too many damn lights!

What've you got for me?

Last edited:

justsomedude

Newly Enlightened
Bump... in the same spot as you buddy. Somebody please review the new pc10 and pc20, the specs are so confusing and they look like awesome lights! To assist the OP, I was also looking at the thrunite tn12 and the quark "x" 123^2 before I found out about the new jetbeams.

Warp

Enlightened
Yes...a JETBeam PC20 review would be great. A selfbuilt review would be outstanding. I can't find any yet. I mostly want to see how the PC20 does on a 17670.

Right now my decision seems to be between the Quark "X" 123^2 tactical and the new JETBeam PC20 w/XM-L.

I like Quarks. I know that. I know what I would be getting with the Quark X. I am tempted by the JB, though. I have never had a JB but would like to try one and the claimed ANSI output on high is 50 lumens greater.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
The little brother to your Eagletac T20C2 would be perfect I think - the P20C2 MK II. A tiny bit off your size specs but it's still small and lightweight. It's the Goldilocks size for me - just big enough that your hand doesn't completely engulf it and small enough to easy, comfortably pocket.

ANSI lumens 524 (3 minute turbo) -341 (stepped down high if you don't go off/on to reset turbo) -73 (general) -9 (low)

I've been checking to see if anything beats it that is a similar size and within $40 of it but can't find one.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
Other option is Lumintop ED20, you can see it and the Eagletac P20C2 MkII next to a Quark and others for size in this review http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320610

selfbuilt tested the ED20 with estimate of 475-480 lumens starting out, better than the 420 lumens advertised. That would probably be my second pick after the Eagletac.

Warp

Enlightened
The little brother to your Eagletac T20C2 would be perfect I think - the P20C2 MK II. A tiny bit off your size specs but it's still small and lightweight. It's the Goldilocks size for me - just big enough that your hand doesn't completely engulf it and small enough to easy, comfortably pocket.

ANSI lumens 524 (3 minute turbo) -341 (stepped down high if you don't go off/on to reset turbo) -73 (general) -9 (low)

I've been checking to see if anything beats it that is a similar size and within $40 of it but can't find one.

The P20C2 is possibly too big. I am not sure since I don't have a stand in to compare. The question basically becomes "Is 1" diameter too much?"

I threw this together in a word doc the other day. The T20C2 is in there because I have it and the TN11 is in there because I just bought one.

Quark 123^2 Tactical
4.5" long, 0.86" diameter (body and head)
XM-L: 360 lumens
R5: 230 lumens

JETbeam PC20
5.04" long, 0.89" diameter
410 lumens
17670 compatible?

Eagletac P20C2
5.1" long, 0.8" body, 1" head
524 lumens (turbo), 341 lumens after turbo

ZebraLight SC600
4.2" long, 1" body, 1.2" head
750 lumen turbo (then 500 lumens)

Eagletac T20C2
5.5" long, 1" body, 1.3" head
580 lumens (turbo)

Thrunite TN11
6.1" long, 1" body, 1.6" head (w/o extension)
830* lumens (less w/o extension?)

Last edited:

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
The 5th pic down in that ED20 review will show you the P20c2 right next to the regular version of your Quark - closer to the Quark in size than it is to the T20c2.

When I checked out goingprepared's Flashlight Comparison 2 videos on YouTube I loved the way the P20c2 looked for throw/flood balance, started to check out it's specs and research the brand more. The Quark 123 X Turbo also has a video in that comparison - probably best bet for XM-L thrower that isn't the size of your T20c2. My preference is for how the P20c2 seems able to just light up absolutely everything out to 50-70 yards.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I am following this thread, as I am in same boat as OP. I have been carrying Quark 123*2 Tactical for almost two years now. Have not seen anything yet that should replcae it as my EDC.

I have EagleTac P20C2 (and many other lights). My P20C2 XP-G R5 is maybe slightly brighter than my Quark XP-G R5, but the Quark makes for better EDC IMHO.

I also bought Quark 123*2 S2 AND the Quark XM-L 'Tactical', but I still like the R5 better......

-

ViciousV

Newly Enlightened
The 5th pic down in that ED20 review will show you the P20c2 right next to the regular version of your Quark - closer to the Quark in size than it is to the T20c2.

When I checked out goingprepared's Flashlight Comparison 2 videos on YouTube I loved the way the P20c2 looked for throw/flood balance, started to check out it's specs and research the brand more. The Quark 123 X Turbo also has a video in that comparison - probably best bet for XM-L thrower that isn't the size of your T20c2. My preference is for how the P20c2 seems able to just light up absolutely everything out to 50-70 yards.

I have the P20C2 MKII XM-L. It's a great light. I like the balance between throw and flood. Very practical, "all-rounder" light. I was EDC'ing for a while too. better suited to my bag after getting a 1x CR123. I like how secure the clip is. You have to remove a threaded collar to remove it. No clip on. Comes with a diffuser, lanyard, tail stand collar, o-rings and a lanyard collar. Oh and it's upgrade-able. :D

Warp

Enlightened
That Lumintop ED20 does look pretty good. It's larger than what I have been carrying in my pocket but isn't exactly big...and it'll take an 18650. The UI doesn't sound like what I want, but Selfbuilt's went ~475 lumens for 2 hours. If I could EDC that in my front pocket it would be pretty cool. (and the UI should be manageable)

I'm torn. I like the Quark. I like its size, I love the UI, I trust the manufacturer. However, I would like to broaden my horizons and try a manufacturer I have not before, such as JETBeam or Lumintop, plus the Quark is the lowest output of them all. I like the look of the JB more but you can cram an 18650 in the Lumintop and I'm still not even sure you can put a 17670 in the PC20, though both would take 2xRCR13 and my Pila would charge them. And let's not forget the P20C2, it would kind of boring to have it as my EDC in my pocket with a T20C2 in my cargo pocket much of the time but it does offer very good output and a decent UI. However I am now thinking length might be worse than width and the P20C2 is the longest. Argh

Last edited:

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
Looking back at selfbuilt's Quark X review, he estimates the 123 at 490-520 on it's turbo boost mode. It just eats batteries faster than the ED20 and will step down lower if you don't reset it. Maybe just get an X head or even Turbo X head that you can throw on your Quark if you really like it's size and UI best (don't know for sure if it's an option).

It will be cool to see if Klarus does an XT2C.

Warp

Enlightened
Looking back at selfbuilt's Quark X review, he estimates the 123 at 490-520 on it's turbo boost mode. It just eats batteries faster than the ED20 and will step down lower if you don't reset it. Maybe just get an X head or even Turbo X head that you can throw on your Quark if you really like it's size and UI best (don't know for sure if it's an option).

It will be cool to see if Klarus does an XT2C.

4Sevens does not sell the XM-L heads at this point as far as I can tell.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it seems like everything but that. The ED20 efficiency with 18650 is looking really good, might have sold my self on getting one by looking up lights based on this thread. I like how the rubber combat grip is thoughtfully sized and contoured to be good for pocket carry. I think I will stonewash the pocket clip if I get one. I like the UI and tail-standing forward clicky. $60 is good too.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same decision and went from an R5 tactical to the X tactical and am very satisfied. Much brighter, no new UI to learn, lightest and smallest form factor and no preflash! I tried EDCing a 18650-sized light for a while but for me, the increase in size and weight offset the run time advantage. But then I don't use Turbo exclusively, Med or High is enough for most use and 17670 batts also help.

Warp

Enlightened
I had the same decision and went from an R5 tactical to the X tactical and am very satisfied. Much brighter, no new UI to learn, lightest and smallest form factor and no preflash! I tried EDCing a 18650-sized light for a while but for me, the increase in size and weight offset the run time advantage. But then I don't use Turbo exclusively, Med or High is enough for most use and 17670 batts also help.

I just re-read selfbuilt's Quark X review. His estimated lumen output of 520 with 2 cells and 490 with a 17670 is making the Quark X seem like a much better option than when I was thinking of 360.

I have a little Christmas gift list in Word, made at my wife's request (which is typical). The final version was locked into place last night. The two lights that made the list were the Quark X and the JetBeam PC20.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like a mix of flood/throw, perhaps more towards throw, but then with such a narrow head I know I won't really get that much throw regardless of other factors.

The thing here is, all of the XML lights being mentioned way WAY bias towards flood, particularly with such a small head. So if you're looking for an increase in performance, the reality seems to be that you'll get as much as double the lumens with a huge bias away from throw and towards flood with an XM-L, or keep roughly the same amount of lumens but get better throw performance.

I'm also looking for something similar to you -- that is, SF E-series type form factor (give or take a few mm here or there), and a slight bias towards throw given the realities of that in such a small head. For this particular light, I decided I'm going to get my increase in performance over my current 2x123 by getting better throw instead of brighter & floodier; you'll want to come to your own decision on which way you want to go. I think the interesting up-and-comer in this space is the upcoming Veleno designs narrow TIR head put in a SF E-series body, which should match the best throw on bodies of this size, and is inexpensive for me since I have a spare E-series body taking up space.