RRT3 vs TM11

mikesantor

Enlightened
So I have something that I have been thinking about for about a week now and after much contemplation I decided to ask the opinion of you flashaholics. Im looking for a light for camping/extended periods of darkness. What Im looking for is something that is in the 2k lumens range, uses multiple 18650s(looking for run time), has a good combination of spill and throw, I do not have to worry about frying because of heat.

The 2 lights that have come to mind off the bat was the 3 XM-L jetbeam RRT3 and the nitecore TM11. I have went back and forth over the pros and cons of these. I even watched a few videos comparing the 2.

The TM11 is smaller, holds one more battery than the RRT3 so I SHOULD see longer run times and is a few lumens brighter.

The RRT3 is a bit longer but this is due to the deeper reflector that gives quite a bit more throw. It is also $70 more than the TM11.

What do you guys think comparing the 2? Is the smaller design, larger battery capacity and little higher lumens rating enough to give up the throw advantage the RRT has over the TM?

Now lets throw a bigger wrench into the equation. Would I be better off in any way by building a multi emitter light out of either a Mag or maybe a SF M6?
Remember, the name of the game for this build is really run time. If I can get 2k to 2.5k lumens for about 1.5 hours total That would be great. Size and weight are not an issue within reason.

Am I dreaming with these parameters?

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-3's 67mm larger diameter bezel versus the TM11's 60mm bezel, has more surface area to collect more light from the emitter, and focus that light into a central hot spot, so the RRT-3's hot spot is brighter than the TM11, such that the RRT-3 throws some 346 meters versus the TM11's 283 meters.
The RRT-3's lenses are deeper relative to their diameters, so this decreases the width of the spill, but it increases the "corona", which is a secondary band of light surrounding the hot spot, such that the RRT-3 has three areas of light: the central hot spot, a prominent secondary band of corona, and a narrower lateral spill surrounding.
The TM11 has a central hot spot, a weaker secondary band of corona, but a wider lateral spill.
Also note that the RRT-3's three emitters are also more closely spaced together than the TM11's, and this may play a role in giving the RRT-3 a smaller but brighter hot spot, while the TM11 has a larger, but less bright hot spot.

The RRT-3 has 7 levels of brightness down to 5 lumens, where the TM11 only has 4 levels down to 200 lumens.
The TM11 does give 15 minutes extra run time on turbo mode; 1:15' versus 1 hour only.

The RRT-3 is much larger and heavier, but then many CPF members say that it can withstand the heat build up more, and stay on turbo mode longer, rather than have automatic thermal management kick in to shut the light off...

TRK

Newly Enlightened
There was another recent thread that discussed the differences between these two great lights that you might find helpful. I believe the thread title was something like, "No love for Jetbeam RRT-3".

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In CPF fashion... Get both.
P1017167-1.jpg

P1017166.jpg

P1017165.jpg

The biggest downside to the TM11 is the lowest setting of 200 lumens and the spotty reliability the first one's have shown. Mine works perfect. The biggest downside to the RRT3XML is it's size.

AFKAN

Newly Enlightened
In CPF fashion... Get both.

P1017165.jpg

The biggest downside to the TM11 is the lowest setting of 200 lumens and the spotty reliability the first one's have shown. Mine works perfect. The biggest downside to the RRT3XML is it's size.

I wouldn't exactly call the RRT3 huge, the size is pretty comfortable for use, and I've even started sticking it in my rucksack and taking it to work with me every day.

Ok it's a bit on the heavy side when lugging but I think the tiny size of the TM11 is maybe more of the thing rather than the large size of the Jetbeam :D

mikesantor

Enlightened
I cant get both. Well I could but not consecutively. I have too many other expensive hobbies. Im going shooting this weekend and I have about $800 bucks worth of ammo I will be going though. That beings said, If being a flashaholic was my only hobby I would be golden. Unfortunately thats not the case.

Im still completely on the fence about these 2. The size of the RRT3 is completely fine with me. I would just not want to go any bigger.
How is the fit and finish on both of them? I have owed a few JBs so I know they are usually top notch. I know nitecore is the sister company but I have never owned one. Anything in that department that would sway me one way or the other?

Right now im 51% towards the RRT3. Why? No idea...
Hogokansatsukan

RCLumens

Enlightened
You should also consider the Olight SR92. I don't personally own one - but reviews state 2 hrs on hi. Lumen factor is stated to be a bit lower, but if you go to goinggear.com and watch the comparison videos, you should find the beam to be comparable.

xed888

Enlightened
I cant get both. Well I could but not consecutively. I have too many other expensive hobbies. Im going shooting this weekend and I have about $800 bucks worth of ammo I will be going though. That beings said, If being a flashaholic was my only hobby I would be golden. Unfortunately thats not the case.

Im still completely on the fence about these 2. The size of the RRT3 is completely fine with me. I would just not want to go any bigger.
How is the fit and finish on both of them? I have owed a few JBs so I know they are usually top notch. I know nitecore is the sister company but I have never owned one. Anything in that department that would sway me one way or the other?

Right now im 51% towards the RRT3. Why? No idea...
Hogokansatsukan

You can mount the RRT3 and you cant with the TM11, if thats any help.

TRK

Newly Enlightened
What I like about the RRT-3 is the really bright "corona" surrounding the hot spot. It really lights up a very large area if front of you in the short to medium range. I also like that it can run on turbo for a longer period of time compared to the TM-11 before the protection circuit kicks in. It is a larger light but I don't think it is too large given it's overall light output.

yifu

Enlightened
RRT3 has better throw but is bigger. Check out going gear's comparision vids on youtube, they are very helpful.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I had 2 TM11 and both has a yellowish tint. Hated it! It's also not has bright as the much cheaper DRY 4 mode Turbo. If you like a flood light with a yellow tint then buy the TM11. The TM11 also has a very fishy thermal protection. Mine flicker from high to low every 10-30 seconds when the light is hot. I say go for something else!

jeowf

Newly Enlightened
You have to realise that the tm11 can only run on 2000 lumens for about 10 min (mine has done 15 min on a cold day) Before the thermal protection kicks in. the 2000 lumens is really only for short periods of use.

mikesantor

Enlightened
Great comments and suggestions guys. Now im more 80% to 20% in favor of the RRT3...

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I'm loving my TK70 but due to the relative short distances I'm capable of "searching" on my property, I'm not so sure I shouldn't have went with the TM11. I have a little over 2 acres of property surrounded by hills and woods.

mhc723

Newly Enlightened
The RRT-3 XML and the TM11 were the top two on my list. The size of the RRT-3 (which I bought) is fine with me. The biggest thing I preferred in the RRT-3 was the twist ring to set brightness levels, as opposed to a rather unobvious sequence of presses on the single button on the TM11. (However the batteries don't fit in the RRT-3 -- separate thread I just posted.)

RCLumens

Enlightened
Greetings! I've been in the same exact position a few months ago and went with the RRT 3 triple XML. Here's why: throw vs. Size was the predominant feature, then heat and run time, then the variable lighting options, then the one less battery, then size. Size of course being the least important. I find that I've actually used the lowest setting more than I thought. It's actually very handy. And given that your scenario is camping, I think it would be a nice feature to have since the light will run for a week at that setting. The next setting (around 200 lumens) runs for about 14 hrs. Then I use my ratio which is easier to remember 400 lumens - 6 hrs, 600 lumens - 4 hrs, 800 lumens 3 hrs, 1100 lumens - 2 hrs, 1900 lumens - 1 hr. Something to remember is that even on the lower settings, I still get solid spill and very reasonable throw because of the beam