Gearbest        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly does "IMR" mean?

Default Re: What exactly does "IMR" mean?

okay I love this thread it taught me a lot. Here is one that has me scratching my head. The LED Lenser M7RX uses an INR 2200mah flat top 18650. I have searched and searched and do not know what INR stands for and if the LED Lenser cell is protected or not. Was going to buy the light but do not want to be stuck with some low capacity mystery 2200mah cell. Sorry if this is basic info everyone else probably knows...I was hoping I could buy the light and just switch out the crappy low capacity cell for an unprotected GA?

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    okay I love this thread it taught me a lot. Here is one that has me scratching my head. The LED Lenser M7RX uses an INR 2200mah flat top 18650. I have searched and searched and do not know what INR stands for and if the LED Lenser cell is protected or not. Was going to buy the light but do not want to be stuck with some low capacity mystery 2200mah cell. Sorry if this is basic info everyone else probably knows...I was hoping I could buy the light and just switch out the crappy low capacity cell for an unprotected GA?
    I=Lithium

N=Nickel

R=Round/cylindrical

It's one of the newer chemistries, where ICR/IMR/IFR don't really describe what's inside.

There are cells using aluminum, which are also hybrids.

Whether somebody throws a protection circuit onto one, or not, I can't say.

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...ally-explained

That link gives you an idea, but isn't 100% accurate in listing specific cells within a category.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

thanks for the link Chris cleared a few things up for me. Now to find a source of higher capacity INR cells...

LG and Samsung CC is mainly what i use, 30Q at 3000mah are a good balance for me. Unless your going to take your cells right down past 3v(unlikely) and tend to top them off after use, 3000 or 3500 mah is no massive deal imho(that is my opinion though).

IMR seem to be replaced with more INR from what i can find when looking for batteries, so i kind of see it as an advancement, A rating and mah which is more than enough for most lights we have. When it comes to mods and sub ohm, well thats a different matter and the cells are really used............

glad it didnt turn out to mean ISIS Motivational Reading lol.....thanks guys for helping clear this up for me some. Was considering getting the LED Lenser M7RX but it comes with a crap 2200mah INR cell. No luck finding INR cells. Oh well...the LED Lenser is really expensive anyways...

30Q are an INR to name one .Most of them now with higher A ratings seem to be INR rather than IMR from my findings and purchases .

interesting ven I did not know that will take a look

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross74 View Post
    interesting ven I did not know that will take a look

Not it sure if you can pinch expand on phone(can see it on a computer screen) At the start of the 18650 part on the cells

Unenlightened

Great knowledge here; I am still digesting and relearn some basic electrical knowledge.

I am experimenting with Nerf flywheel blasters. I want to stay as close to stock as possible, up voltage and amperage, and still not burn out the stock motors. No, I don't yet really know the specifications or limitations of stock Nerf flywheel motors. I do know (from others' mistakes) that 4 'trustfire' batteries running the stock motors for a significant amount of time (say....more than 4 minutes under continuous load can burn out the motors. AND, yes, I am considering the upgrades for the wiring and switch(es).

Is there Lithium-ion battery that would best fit my above needs/wants or are my expectations to far out in left field?

Quote Originally Posted by Redd1717 View Post
    I am experimenting with Nerf flywheel blasters.
    Your post if off topic for this thread. You can start your own thread with that topic. Go to the Forums index and find the forum that best suits your needs.

Bill

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    ICR, or lithium cobalt 18650s are becoming rarer, so the old ICR, IMR and IFR abbreviations are somewhat archaic and well...just using the term 'hybrid' is probably just as good.
    Good point. With the exception of IFR (which is still a rather distinct chemistry), these labels really don't mean much. For the most part, Li-Ion batteries being sold today are hybrids of one form or another. 'IMR' typically just refers to any 3.7V cell which can produce more current. But these are generally not true IMR cells. Rather, they are hybrid cells.

Flashaholic*

Here is another helpful table, from TI's Introduction to Battery Management slides.

hey this awesome thread is back! To add to the mix I just got a pair of Orbtronic 3000mah 20 amp cells that they call H-IMR. Soooo...all I know is they outlast my VCT5's in my vape mod...

Unenlightened

I have heard lots of flimsy info when it comes to batteries in the evape industry, I most build and use subohm coils in my atomizers, and the units I use take 2 18650s. My question is, which batteries are safest when vaping at 100-200V and which batteries will actually be able to produce that with the least drop in voltage and amperage?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBlood View Post
    ...which batteries are safest when vaping at 100-200V and which batteries will actually be able to produce that with the least drop in voltage and amperage?
    You will find your answer here, I think: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-chargers.828/

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ry-tests.7436/

Flashaholic*

Batteries are really a "jungle". So many things to take in consider, so many options. Some sites tell that IMR cells are safe. And here I read that IMR doesn't necessarily means it's safe...

Flashaholic*

Here is an informative video titled "IMR, INR, and ICR Are Not Battery Chemistries!"

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/th...stries.852603/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12