Headlamp for shovelling/snowblowing

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Well this wonderful community has yet to fail me and I can't make up my mind. I am looking for a headlamp that will work well with snow shoveling at night and or snow blowing. I am getting it for my dad so I would prefer it run on AA batteries (eneloops) as this will be easier for him to obtain. I have always assumed that cool or neutral tints are better in the snow. This time last year I did not have any warm lights, but I still assume this to be true. Color rendition doesn't seem all that important for this application. He is older so it has to be simple to use. Also the assumption will be that he will have gloves on, so a bigger button would likely be better. My first instincts are the Zebra's but there are so many models it can just be a little confusing. The new H600 looks promising but I plan on getting that guy for myself. Plus I have a nice stable of 18650's already. Budgetary constraints should be limited to about $70 without a battery. So if you guys had to go shoveling outside at night, what headlamp would you recommend?

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
It's not neutral or warm, but I've got an energizer hardcase professional headlamp that I like quite a bit for that sort of thing. 3xAA (not AAA so nice runtime) in the back for balance, a top strap, bright enough main LED (high ~100 lumen, /medium ~40?) has a nice popup diffuser if you want flood. Also has red and green modes, which I've never used. I think the buttons would work fine with gloves. I abuse mine (crawlspace, attic, in- and outside) and it's going strong.

I did wrap some felt around the strap at my forehead - it's got wavy rubber backing that became uncomfortable after a while.

Oh, and you need to paint/sharpie/cover this little clear tab on the diffuser or it shines a bit of light in your eyes. :) I still like it.

Here's a review

A quick google found it at Amazon and other places, for around $40.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Fenix headband with a Fenix P3D rb100.
Works well, though I'd like something warmer (I probably should upgrade to a newer/warmer rb120)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at single mode AA headlamps right now, and if you want a sturdy light with a wide beam, this one might fit the bill:

Link

It won't be super lightweight, but it looks very well balanced, and should get great battery life with 4xAA.

skidad

Newly Enlightened
Petzl Pixa 3. Real easy to use with gloves and in general, totally waterproof (a light will get soaked if snowblowing), impact resistent, regulated power, uses AA batteries of all types, price is right and it looks cool. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M3GDI4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/compact-headlamps/pixa-3

41yiTnnSnTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread has me wondering what's the best type of beam for snow shovel/blow.

Spot, combo spot with spill, directional flood, or all flood?

I am a diehard flood fan, but if there is a flurry of snow in the air, I imagine a pure flood could blind you.

I agree that beam tint wouldn't make much difference other than psychological.

If you want to go inexpensive, check out the Irix Icon II. I think it's the most bang for the buck headlamp available. Around $20 IIRC. Single AA. Dial control. It's a directional flood. A poor man's Surefire Saint.

AND, you can pluck it out of its cradle while leaving the headband on your head...so you can warm up the light in your jacket without removing the headband. Might be a nice benefit in the cold.

Last edited:

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Why no love for zebras or sparks? They are waterproof too right? Is their switching mechanism not that great with gloves on?

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
I only got my spark st6 this fall so I'll let u know after we get snow how well it works.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why no love for zebras or sparks? They are waterproof too right? Is their switching mechanism not that great with gloves on?

Yeah, they both have top waterproof numbers (IPX8), they're good lights. They're almost over-recommended here on CPF, so maybe everybody's taking a break from recommending the obvious? I don't know. No reason they wouldn't work fine. That's what I would use, provided it wasn't so cold that I'd have problems touching the metal body.

For some reason, cold weather has me thinking plastic, and possibly a way to keep the battery pack close to my body. Perhaps this is incorrect.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I'm sure I'llbe using my ZL for the same, although probably not for another month or two. Never tried gloves on it yet, might not be the best with gloves but can't amagine it to be that hard using the press and hold method atleast.

At what temperature do Eneloops start having issues with? Shouldnt be a problem to go out quick, but after a good storm it often takes me an hour to clean up the driveway, even with the tractor. And thats after spending 15 minutes or so to get the thing started in the cold, maybe longer if I have to fill it up first or mount the snow blade. We dont get snow here like where I grew up in northern NY but we do get a few storms each winter worthy of getting the tractor out. Here is the most we have got in the 3 yrs I've lived here...
IMG_9830_800.jpg

Notice it doesnt have headlights either... working on that as well as getting a metal halide light up on the garage. but with the speed at which I accomplish projects, Zebralight might be the only thing to lite my way this winter...