Lithium-Manganese Dioxide (Li/MnO2) 9V battery to power Fluke 87V?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these available in stores now? I've not seen a Lithium 9V in any shops yet :(

Here in NZ at least, they are fairly commonly available:
http://www.****smith.co.nz/product/S3280/energizer-9v-lithium-battery
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/onl...ngle-Pack-Lithium.aspx?pid=285851#Description

My original battery from my 87V still hasn't run flat, despite a (relatively) LOT of use, it just keeps on and on going! But when it eventually runs low I'm going to replace it with one of these lithium 9V batteries.
According to the spec sheet, the lithium battery has about 750mAh at low discharge rates, such as in the 87V, compared to about 600mAh from the standard Energizer 9V Alkaline.
I just hate using Alkaline batteries or cells in anything, particularly valuable devices like the 87V, or my flashlights.
But they are nearly four times the price of the standard Energizer 9V's...

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the starting voltage, I would suspect 5S cells inside instead of 6S, and I think Ive heard that on here before also, but I'm not 100% on that.

Ahh, actually, I think you're right. The data sheet does show the battery starting at exactly 9V, and a single lithium cell does start at 1.8V, so that makes total sense. Also, it would work fine in 9V devices because they often work fine down to below 5V depending on the device and it's current draw, and the Lithium 9V battery is depleted by around 5V.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone run their Fluke 87V or other Fluke 9V battery powered DMM on Energizer's LA522 "Advanced" Lithium-Manganese Dioxide (Li/MnO2) 9V batteries?
I know that the single Energizer AA Lithium cells when new are greater than the usual nominal 1.4-1.6V of other chemistries; they come measuring about 1.8V.
I thought, if they make their 9V batteries out of a series of 6 of those type of cells, the voltage could potentially be a bit above what the device they are powering is designed to accept; perhaps as much as 10.8V rather than say 9.6V...
But the datasheet shows the voltage as starting at just a tad over 9V... So it seems like they would be alright.
And I'd rather power my Fluke with anything other than Carbon Zinc or Alkaline batteries.

So, who is already running their Fluke on these Lithium-Manganese Dioxide Energizers?
All working alright?
I'm 99.99% sure it will be all good, but I thought it can't hurt to ask if anyone is already using them with no dramas.
I guess if I was going to be paranoid about it I could test the voltage from new, and if it is a little bit high just discharge it a bit before using, but I think the device will be able to cope with 10-11V alright.

CKOD

Enlightened
Given the starting voltage, I would suspect 5S cells inside instead of 6S, and I think Ive heard that on here before also, but I'm not 100% on that.