LED off road lights to replace my KC Daylighters?

Tmg

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for some LED off road lights to replace my KC Daylighters? Are the work lights off of ebay any good? My daylighters just draw so much electricity.

Thanks for the help.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am looking for some LED off road lights to replace my KC Daylighters? Are the work lights off of ebay any good? My daylighters just draw so much electricity.

Thanks for the help.
I am guessing your KC lights are halogens, and the correct term to use is that they draw a lot of current. There are other choices of light types that may draw less current but put out more light. LED lights are more efficient but for the most part they can be a lot more expensive and are a rather new technology. HID is the most go to technology as it is more efficient that halogen and more efficient than some LED technologies also and a lot more cost effective at this time.
I think you will have to give more information to those who know of other lighting solutions as to be able to compare.
How many watts are the bulbs in your lights and what model # are they?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original KC Daylighter is a 150watt sealed beam but there are halogen ones that use a 55 or 100 watt H3 bulb.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
KC did/does make a 35watt HID Daylighter but they are expensive, best price I found was around $800 a set a few years ago.

Tmg

Newly Enlightened
I have the 150W ones.

They are bright but just put a huge strain on my electrical system in my truck. I found some LED work lights on ebay but I dont know how well they work.

I dont have a lot of money to spend on these. I am just wondering if there is a better LED light to replace my daylighters with.

bnemmie

Enlightened
I have a pair of Dually D2's hung under the back shackles of my truck to use as reverse lights. Totally overkill. They are much brighter then the Lightforces 170s I have in front. As soon as I can afford it I will put 2 more pairs in the front. On my meter they draw under 30 watts each. They work really well for me. I think they look great too since there are no round shapes on the front of my truck and the D2s are square.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have the 150W ones.

They are bright but just put a huge strain on my electrical system in my truck. I found some LED work lights on ebay but I dont know how well they work.

I dont have a lot of money to spend on these. I am just wondering if there is a better LED light to replace my daylighters with.
I think you are probably going to be short on money going for LEDs to replace 100+ watt halogen incans. Incans are dirt cheap to make while LEDs would require multiple emitters special reflectors/optics and probably some sort of electronic circuitry.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
What is your vehicle that can't spare 300 watts of power? The easiest and most economical option is to replace your sealed beams with replacement parts using lower wattage bulbs.

I had a set of those sealed beam Daylighters.....and from what i recall, you won't find an affordable commercial LED replacement.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
What is your vehicle that can't spare 300 watts of power? The easiest and most economical option is to replace your sealed beams with replacement parts using lower wattage bulbs.

I had a set of those sealed beam Daylighters.....and from what i recall, you won't find an affordable commercial LED replacement.
It may be cheaper to upgrade the alternator than to try and get an LED replacement for 150 watt halogen lights.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I'd just upgrade the alternator as lynx arc suggested or I have seen people who have had brackets fabricated to hold dual alternators. If you only use the lights occasionally, you could probably save the most money by just adding another battery to your car's electrical system. Most of the people that I have seen doing these upgrades are using massive amounts of power to drive their car audio systems.
hope this helps.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Has anyone seen or used this product. http://www.soundoffsignal.com/white_illum/WorkLts/wl_5rect_1400.html I wonder how these would be compared to my Daylighters.

I have some and can tell you the spot beam looks exactly like this:
dirtroad1400spots.jpg

From my recollection, the 150 watt Daylighters were very bright focused spotlights. I'm just not aware of an LED product that is as bright....unless I am looking back through rose colored glasses.

The Rigid Duallies are dimmer, and the long lightbar products are pricey. You specifically mentioned that you don't have much money to throw at this. That is why I really recommend that you just get lower wattage replacement lamps. I'm not using my 1400's anymore. If you are in Texas or somewhere close, and dead set on buying some LED's, I'll sell them to you for a good price. They are used but in excellent condition.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I also have a pair of rigid industries duallys they are very bright, tough as nails too. highly recommended.

fishx65

Enlightened
If they are strictly for off road use, why not just keep the daylighters and convert them to HID. I know a lot of offroaders change the Hella 550 FF's to HID. Don't think you can get much brighter and you don't have to worry about blinding other drivers. Hid kits are pretty cheap these days.

2many

Newly Enlightened
I'm going Rigid D2s. Kit will be ordered this weekend. :thumbsup:

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I have the original but i am getting the d2s and 40" in the next couple months, can you say bright? the d2s are 5200 lumen for the pair and the regular duallys are 268000. d2s are $380 the duallys are $200.

Tmg

Newly Enlightened
If they are strictly for off road use, why not just keep the daylighters and convert them to HID. I know a lot of offroaders change the Hella 550 FF's to HID. Don't think you can get much brighter and you don't have to worry about blinding other drivers. Hid kits are pretty cheap these days.

Do you know what would be a good HID kit that would fit my sealed beam KC daylighters?