Looking For a Totally Unnecessary Light

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
ok I have my lighting needs met with my EDC Fenix PD31 and the Fenix TK35 for when I walk the dogs.

Now I just want a crazy fun light.

Was looking at Titanium Innovations N35 or Titanium Illuminator (not much info on this unit but it is alot less expensive).... it seems to be the same as the N35 but without the LED light?

Also considering the Olight SR90 which is a bit more expensive, seems like it would be harder to hold and looks to have less light.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix TK70?
surefire kroma?
quark RGB?

the latter 2 have multi-colored LEDs :naughty:

JacobJones

Enlightened
HID is a good choice, lots of throw. If you are in America I suggest the Titanium inovations mega illuminator, I think it's one of the best throwers for the money. Or if you are willing to spend a lot you could get a maxabeam, they're just incredible.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, yes I was looking at the Titanium Innovations Illuminator for only $159. How do you think this would compare to the Titanium Innovations N35 (about $100 more) which seems to be the same light without the LED on top?

JacobJones

Enlightened
I think it throws further than the N35, I can't seem to find lux reading for the mega illuminator but selfbuilt measured the N35 at 225,000 lux.

YAK-28

Enlightened
i have an n30 and a tk70. i like them both, but if i could only keep one of them it would be the tk70. i really like the levels and the instant on over the hid.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the TK70. The low level is very useful for just walking around, the medium is good for working on something in the dark, and the turbo is just *WOW!* The only downside is the TK70 is heavy and large.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore TM11?

2,000 lumens from something the size of a soda can.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
yea, i was considering the TM11 and the Fenix TK70 as well but the TM's runtime at 2000 lumens is pretty bad and the Fenix looks kinda unwieldy.

Also the HID's I mentioned hit 3500 lumens...is there a big visual difference between 2000 and 3500 lumens?

Not really interested in multi modes as this is just a Fun Light to play with on those long dark winter nights.

I got a few good practical lights already.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to voice yet another vote for the TK70. Carrying an HID can get very impractical. At least the TK70 fits in a backpack and can double as a medieval mace. I just went to the field last weekend with my TK70... it fits my definitions of unnecessary and crazy.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
yea, i was considering the TM11 and the Fenix TK70 as well but the TM's runtime at 2000 lumens is pretty bad and the Fenix looks kinda unwieldy.

Also the HID's I mentioned hit 3500 lumens...is there a big visual difference between 2000 and 3500 lumens?

Not really interested in multi modes as this is just a Fun Light to play with on those long dark winter nights.

I got a few good practical lights already.
With the same beam pattern the visual difference would be small.
But you can't compare, let's say the TM11 and the N35.
The TM11 is pretty much a flood light while the N35 throws really far.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
The TM looks really cool but I decided to get the Titanium Innovations Illuminator..... from what I can tell the Illuminator is a more "carry friendly" version of the Mega Illuminator.

I should be able to have some fun with this light in the open fields at night!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
The TM looks really cool but I decided to get the Titanium Innovations Illuminator..... from what I can tell the Illuminator is a more "carry friendly" version of the Mega Illuminator.

I should be able to have some fun with this light in the open fields at night!
Beamshots ;)