keychain lights - looking for something VERY high quality, prefer not twisty

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for a really high quality keychain light. I've tried a number of different things:
preon 1 (for me, slippery, hard to switch one handed, not perfectly reliable about switching modes)
photon proton (don't like the UI, the switch is flakey)
photon freedom (Just not enough light)
None of them have really proved satisfactory. There are a lot of choices for keychain sized lights, but most of them are twisty type lights.

What I want:
- range of outputs (doesn't have to be infinitely variable, but really, really dim -> at least 30-40 lumens)
- it needs to operate easily and reliably one-handed (I hate this about the preon)
- small enough to carry in my slacks pocket while wearing a suit
- really, really, really reliable in operation. If it's even slightly flakey, ever, it'll annoy me and I'll end up pitching it. I know me, and I'm completely irrational and unreasonable about this.
- This is mostly a short-range backup light. (Really most of the time it will be a backup to a backup...) So a floodier beam seems more useful. (I'm not super picky about this.)
- The ordering process needs to be more or less off the shelf. I don't want to design my own flashlight, navigate a maze of dozens of little options.
- I'd prefer AA or AAA operated, mainly for size, although I have lots of CR123A's, so that would be OK too. (Just worried it would be too big with a CR123A.)
- I don't want a CR2 powered light. I have enough different types of primary cells. I don't care about rechargeables.

I have considered a surefire T1A - it's a twisty, so I worry about one-handed operation, and I also worry about size. Also the low end 1 lumen brightness is really too bright. Although I like SF's quality, some of their recent small lights have seemed slippery to me. (I have an E1B that I don't use because I basically can't hold it - I drop it all the friggin' time.) So I worry about that. Anyone have any feedback on that?

Price (to a point) is not much of a concern here. Most (sane) people would tradeoff some amount of price for minor, infrequent, picky little problems. Not me. Little problems drive me crazy, and if I have 'em I'll end up pitching the thing in a fit of insane rage, so it doesn't usually work out for me to go for a bargain. (Clearly I have issues!)

Most of the time I carry an HDS clicky and a SF LX2. Sometimes though, I wear clothes that just don't acommodate either of those lights well. (The HDS is small and awesome, but not small enough.)

I have been looking over threads about various types of these lights, but haven't been able to reach a conclusion. (I am afraid I won't like *any* of them!)

HKJ

Flashaholic
You know that the Preon can also be used with a tailswitch? They are sold a spare parts.

There are many AAA lights, but not that many that is easy to use with one hand and in high quality, may be UniVex?

You can check my website for information about AAA lights.

kreisler

Banned
i am thinking that Preon Revo SS and Klarus MiX6 Titanium are high quality stuff. The latter is still around, 60 bucks. Not as bright as the Revo with the XP-G S2 .. but the problem with the Revo is: where to buy?

persco

Enlightened
Muyshondt Aeon? Steve Ku 40 DD? Lummi Wee? The 40 DD is a tiny (tiny!) variable brightness 10180-powered beauty. There may be some left available still.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I too despise the twisty UI of the Preons, such a task to get it to high... And after trying most of the AAA offerings, includng the famed L2FXT, I have settled on, for now, a Peak Eiger QTC, keychain body, with the TEC suspension clip (http://www.uniquetitanium.com/P-7-Suspension-Clip_p_225.html)

Although it is a twisty, it is a simple single twist to get it uber-low all the way to high, unlike the Preon's twist/untwist/twist/untwist/twist sequence. And best of all you can get it in a neutral tint (a must for me)... I love the L2FXT also, it is mind boggling that nobody makes a goood AAA clicky. What a hole in the market, what an opportunity for some savvy flashlight company, with nobody stepping up.

CMAG

Enlightened
Fenix E15 I know a twisty but easy to operate, one hand once you get the hang of it. Sits in my change pocket like it was not there for me it backs up my Haiku EDC

nilfire77

Newly Enlightened
i am thinking that Preon Revo SS and Klarus MiX6 Titanium are high quality stuff. The latter is still around, 60 bucks. Not as bright as the Revo with the XP-G S2 .. but the problem with the Revo is: where to buy?

I 2nd the Klarus Mi X6 as I own one to attest its quality. As for the ReVo, isn't it already been discontinued?

kreisler

Banned
for the ReVo, isn't it already been discontinued?
One could still purchase it from dealers who have it in stock. Most dealers seem to have run out of stock, only few are left with stock. Regarding your question: Yes, it has already been discontinued and it actually stays this way. 4Sevens Company has confirmed that they will never ever produce it (or a batch of it) any more. So on the one hand, those Revo SS S2 and Revo SS R2 have become something of a rarity (collector's item?); on the other hand, if a company is so firm not to produce another batch of a once popular (it was popular on CPF, wasnt it?) product, then why i should i support them (or the product) by buying it?

Klarus still exists ;) and not too long ago they released an update of the MiX6: the MiX6 Titanium, which is a very current model in their product line. I doubt that they have sold many copies of the Mix6 (because of the Revo competition and the high price for a newbie label).. So it's up to us to change it in favour of them ha!

Last edited:

tylernt

Enlightened
Lumapower Avenger GX. 1xAAA clickie, LMH with memory. I think 4-20-70 lumens?

nbp

Flashaholic
I have considered a surefire T1A - it's a twisty, so I worry about one-handed operation, and I also worry about size. Also the low end 1 lumen brightness is really too bright. Although I like SF's quality, some of their recent small lights have seemed slippery to me. (I have an E1B that I don't use because I basically can't hold it - I drop it all the friggin' time.) So I worry about that. Anyone have any feedback on that?

The T1A is a phenomenal light. The twist mechanism is super smooth and easy to use one handed. The infinite brightness twisty is the best there is, absolutely smooth, no appearance of 'levels' at all. There is a slight "click" into the off position that keeps it from turning on in a pocket, but it is not too much to overcome with one hand. I think the size is a bit large for a keychain, but not for a pocket. I have carried mine in dress pants many times with a McGizmo gate clip and P7 suspension clip setup, so it dangles in the seam edge of the pants pocket and doesn't create any bulge at the bottom. Also, the 1 lumen low is not really true. They call it that, but I would say it is more like .005 lm at its very lowest; you can stare straight at the emitter in total darkness. Significantly lower than my HDS lights on their lowest settings. Also, the light is sleek, but there are indentations on it that make it easy enought to manipulate. If it is for office carry settings, I don't think that the slipperiness will be an issue unless there is a fire and the sprinklers turn on...in which case you have bigger problems to worry about. Fit and finish and quality are typical SF excellence. I have no complaints about this light and it is my go-to nightstand and evening puttering around the house in my PJs light, so it sees a lot of use.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Save yourself alot of time and trouble and get a Preon with the clicky cap. You will love it.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will second the Peak Eiger recommendation. Get it with the lug body, or the keychain body. If you prefer, you can wait a short while and Overready will have a pocket clip available.
It is available with a momentary tailswitch (not clicky), but I have found that most times that is all I need. If I want constant on, a simple twist is all it takes.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Sorry for the slow reply - I've been busy this week!
I'll check out the clicky cap for my preon - I was completely unaware of this! I also may get the T1A, it looks really nice.
I appreciate the useful feedback from everyone.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Save yourself alot of time and trouble and get a Preon with the clicky cap. You will love it.

I cant agree with that... The Preon's button is not recessed, so it can easily be activated accidentally. Pls with the L-M-H and no memory, its a relative pita to get it to high if you use high often, like I do...

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Microstream. Clicky, no problem issues with mine, had it in my pocket
for more than a year with keys and other junk and it never failed me. Also
a nice beam.
Just try it.