Klarus
Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast

Thread: The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

Default Re: The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    coyote, some people (including me) were wondering if there was a step down in light output just after 3 minutes like some other manufacturers do such as EagleTac. I didn't observe any step down in the Fury. I switched the Fury to its low setting at 4.6 minutes. I haven't done a runtime test ... yet.
    thnx guys. i'm not electrically inclined and need all the help i can get.

Flashaholic*

Did anyone try 2 x 3.7v RCR123's yet? When the E2DL's and LX2's came out folks speculated that 2 x 3.7V RCR's will not work but when I got my copies, the very first thing that I did was to pop in the RCR's and they worked without any issues. Anyone try 3.7v RCR's in their Fury's yet?

Quote Originally Posted by seattlite View Post
    Did anyone try 2 x 3.7v RCR123's yet? When the E2DL's and LX2's came out folks speculated that 2 x 3.7V RCR's will not work but when I got my copies, the very first thing that I did was to pop in the RCR's and they worked without any issues. Anyone try 3.7v RCR's in their Fury's yet?
    I'm too scared. Let mikey try, he likes it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

I would'nt dare try the 2 x 3.7v RCR123's in mine. I believe it would have too many volt's and fry it. I'll stick with the 17670 it works just fine, but who know's it may fry it also. If someone does try the 2 x 3.7v RCR123's I would like to know the outcome.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Flashaholic*

I have a 200 lumen KX2C head I've used with 1x 18350, 1x 17670, 2x CR123A, and 2x 16340; all with no issues. It is brighter with two cells (primary or LiIon); I don't know by how much, as I have no way to test.

Although its electronics would probably not fry, the problem with using 2x 16340 in a Fury, is that it would probably draw more than the max possible safe amperage (+/-1.5A) that a 16340 could provide. It may be in here already, as this thread is quite long now, but has anyone done a tailcap current reading on a Fury yet?
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by naked2 View Post
    I have a 200 lumen KX2C head I've used with 1x 18350, 1x 17670, 2x CR123A, and 2x 16340; all with no issues. It is brighter with two cells (primary or LiIon); I don't know by how much, as I have no way to test.

Although its electronics would probably not fry, the problem with using 2x 16340 in a Fury, is that it would probably draw more than the max possible safe amperage (+/-1.5A) that a 16340 could provide. It may be in here already, as this thread is quite long now, but has anyone done a tailcap current reading on a Fury yet?
    By P=VI
    When power remains the same(brightness)
    More voltage result in less current drawn
    As well as less voltage drop across resistance

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by seattlite View Post
    I searched this thread again; OrBy posted tailcap current test results in post #386, but none for 2x 3.7V; try at your own risk!
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

Default shoul;d I get the surefire fury ?

I have been thinking about getting this light and love surefire and have several surefire lights and love that it is 500 lumens but am a little uneasy about it having a plastic lens on a high end light because all of my other high end lights have glass and I am afraid that it would get scratched and start looking bad because that happens on other cheaper lights that I own . so what do you guys think

Default Re: shoul;d I get the surefire fury ?

Mine sure seems to have a glass lens unlike my 6PX's and G2x's. Anyway, check out the long thread here about this light, I like it at the 'new' price.

They use a 6PX Pro body and tail cap with a new 500L head. Nice balance between flood and throw. Very rugged and solid feeling. The SureFire website says polycarbonate lens but I'm sure it's glass. If it really is polycarbonate, don't worry because it must be the best polycarbonate on the world. I'm sure you'll love it!

Check out the thread about it, but it'll take you a couple of hours because it's really long...
    "It used to be 'Merkwuerdigliebe'"

It's a great light, but as for all the one's who say it has a glass lens. I had mine out the other night and dropped it about the length of one foot into some soft mud and when I picked it up the lens was scratched, so from this mishap the lens is plastic! Glass would not have scratched that easy. It is a pretty deep scratch, it catches on my fingernail when I move it across the lens. But it's still worth buying.
    Last edited by Glock 22; 02-07-2012 at 04:37 PM.

As for all the one's who say it has a glass lens. I had mine out the other night and dropped it about the length of one foot into some soft mud and when I picked it up the lens was scratched, so from this mishap the lens is plastic! Glass would not have scratched that easy. It is a pretty deep scratch, it catches on my fingernail when I move it across the lens.

As for if you should by it I personally don't like the look of the new lights. Its something sorta like deal extreme looking to me. I am sure the quality is still surefire's but I am waiting for the POSSIBLE release of the LX2U

That LX2U would be awsome if they do release it, I've see a couple of places on the web with it on there site. It's one I really want!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Dave View Post
    As for if you should by it I personally don't like the look of the new lights. Its something sorta like deal extreme looking to me. I am sure the quality is still surefire's but I am waiting for the POSSIBLE release of the LX2U

LX2 Ultra and EB1 Tactical are very high on my DO WANT list.

I'm looking at mine while I'm reading your post and find it hard to believe this is a plastic lens. It looks and feels like glass to me. The anti-reflective coatings look like their on glass also. Maybe when you dropped it in the mud it hit some stones, or maybe the scratch was already there and you didn't notice it until you picked it up out of the mud. Who knows. I'm not doubting your word it's just that it looks pretty rugged to me.

Maybe Surefire will replace it under warranty.
    Albert Einstein

The Fury's project manager at SureFire says it is a polycarbonate window, NOT glass.

The scratch was not there before I dropped it, I mean from a foot away and it did'nt fall hard just a simple slip out of my hands and it did'nt hit any stones or rocks because I looked good where I dropped it. And surefire said they would replace the lens, this really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitthespot View Post
    I'm looking at mine while I'm reading your post and find it hard to believe this is a plastic lens. It looks and feels like glass to me. The anti-reflective coatings look like their on glass also. Maybe when you dropped it in the mud it hit some stones, or maybe the scratch was already there and you didn't notice it until you picked it up out of the mud. Who knows. I'm not doubting your word it's just that it looks pretty rugged to me.

Maybe Surefire will replace it under warranty.

Thanks Al. It sure looks like glass. Well Polycarbonate can be tough, Time will tell how well its holds up.

Well I was going to buy another one right away. I will now wait and see how well this one holds up. I use and abuse my lights and cannot believe that SureFire would use plastic in one of their all aluminum Flashlights. Time will tell, but right now I'm very very suprised.

Edit: and Glock22 forgive me for doubting you. You were 100% correct on your assesment.

Thanks again Al.

Bill
    Last edited by Hitthespot; 02-07-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Most definitely on my for sure list also.

Quote Originally Posted by enomosiki View Post
    LX2 Ultra and EB1 Tactical are very high on my DO WANT list.

nathan225 BUY the fury you'll like it.
    Last edited by Glock 22; 02-07-2012 at 05:17 PM.

No need to apologize, I did'nt take it the wrong way that's why we tell personal experiences to help each other on the fourm. I would have doubted also just like you did, if it had'nt happened to me. It still one of my favorite lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitthespot View Post
    Thanks Al. It sure looks like glass. Well Polycarbonate can be tough, Time will tell how well its holds up.

Well I was going to buy another one right away. I will now wait and see how well this one holds up. I use and abuse my lights and cannot believe that SureFire would use plastic in one of their all aluminum Flashlights. Time will tell, but right now I'm very very suprised.

Edit: and Glock22 forgive me for doubting you. You were 100% correct on your assesment.

Thanks again Al.

Bill

The very thing I don't quite like is the polycarbonate windows on all new Surefire lights. It's pretty hard to find a proper way to clean them but not scratching. I guess only washing with mild detergent and water will do the trick?

thanks for all the replys it has been a lot of help I may try to go and look at one right away I hope going gear gets them soon I live really close and can drive there

Mine was glass (one of the first ones made). Too bad they finally switched to PC, but to be fair that IS the spec that has been advertised all along, & a few scratches isn't the end of the world. Besides I've scratched glass lenses easily enough, without realizing it/knowing how, & it doesn't really affect useful beam quality anyway. Combat style!

Quote Originally Posted by nathan225 View Post
    thanks for all the replys it has been a lot of help I may try to go and look at one right away I hope going gear gets them soon I live really close and can drive there
    GG told me earlier today in an email they were out of stock and would not be getting anymore in, no explanation

Sorry I can't help with your decision as I'm on the fence also....I really don't need another light.....no I don't need it.....not another flashlight.....no....no......well maybe just one more

Later
    Kelly
    Last edited by Sway; 02-07-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    Lucas Jackson, "Here, Captain"
    Maliciously destroying municipal property while under the influence, What was that?
    "Cutting the heads off parking meters, Captain."

I believe that the product manager for SureFire knows what kind of lens is used in his products, but boy does it look like glass. In my profession we do quality tests called "test to destruction" where components are continuously operated until they fail. I decided to apply this to my Fury lens. I took the sharp point of my pocket knife and tried to scratch the lens next to the bezel ring where it wouldn't be noticeable if I was successful (I know this is extreme but I wanted an answer one way or another). i couldn't scratch the lens even when I pressed very hard. (Don't try this at home kids, unless you are prepared to accept the consequences.) I tried this with my other two Furies with the same result. My conclusion: Glass, or the hardest polycarbonate I've ever seen. Certainly harder than my G2X that I scratched when I wiped it with a paper towel! This may not end the debate, but for me I'm satisfied that the lens is sufficiently scratch resistant for my use.

BTW, one of my Furies used to be Leon2245's.
    Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; 02-07-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    "It used to be 'Merkwuerdigliebe'"

Hi. I was given one of these flashlight recently, brand new. I only had a chance to try it out a couple of times doing some gps contests at night. This thing is bright and is the best thing I have at the moment. I'll be giving this flashlight a good work out while these night time contest continue and hopefully report back.

For now I see I have quite a few pages of this thread to read.

If a sharp knife point or an Ice pic or needle does not "catch" when pressed against the lens, but slides across it without leaving a scratch, Its either glass or a new type of polycarbonate that I've not seen or heard of.

After getting a M61N a while back, I said "No more cool whites for me", but this is getting too tempting!!!

After reading the most recent posts in this thread, I tried the scratch test on my Fury and the lens did not scratch! If it's not glass, then whatever it is made of satisfies me. Wish they were all this way. Maybe Surefire will reconsider on future runs of this light.

Here is pic of lens scratch on my fury, and this was one of the first run put out.

Last edited by Glock 22; 02-07-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 710111213141516171819202122232427 ... LastLast