Page 1 of 46 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated throwers

Flashaholic

Evilgrin07 Dedicated throwers

Awesome! Every flashaholic should have one

After seeing reviews and pics I decided to get myself a Tiablo A9, managed to find a new (old stock) one on a well known auction website. It's not here yet but I managed to source an aspheric lens with a free non working fake A9. I got the fake a9 working and WOW, I love the throw and concentration. The light was visible in daylight (overcast) shining 20m into trees! I'd never known anything like it and couldn't wait til dark.

Aparantly the real a9 has noticeably higher lux readings so I'm looking forward to that turning up.

There's just something so amazing about seeing that beam hit something so far away. I was hanging out my son's bedroom window just lighting up roofs for 100's of yards.

I'd slowed down on the light collecting lately, almost settled down but this has sparked a bit more enthusiasm into the hobby for me.

Anyone else with me? (well I know there is ) apart from the A9 is there anything else like that? I'm talking off the shelf not deft style.

Default Re: Dedicated throwers

Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 beats A9 (with reflector head). It almost matches original A9 with aspheric lens.

Besides, your fake A9 can be better thrower that original A9. That's because fakes are frequently equipped with LED with EZ900 die, whereas original A9 had older LED with EZ1000 die, which is bigger and provides less throw. So don't hold your breath...

My Catapult XM-L has some serious throw. I hit two coyotes really far away the other night and they took off

Every-time I turn it on high I think, WOW this thing throws, you have to lean into it it throws out so much light, LOL

I am actually in the market for something that uses non-LI cells for my old man but offers Catapult like throw, that may be hard to do though.

let the search begin....

I just repeat myself but the Thrunite TN11 is awesome

+1 for the Pro-1.

For a cheap light, the Ultrafire WF-008 recoil thrower is not bad either.

For budget thrower Skyray STL-V2/FandyFire STL-V6 45-55$ for Bigger hot spot than XR-E with about 48,000 - 50,000 lux

Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    Buy youself a real thrower (like Catapult V3, Crelant 7G5, Sunwayman TC40S) and you'll laugh from your poor TN11.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    I have the TN11, it does indeed throw.. But, the more dedicated throwers are in a different league. The TN11 puts out a good flood as well, this A9 with collimater head just puts out the square shape of the emmiter for hundreds of yds. The tn11 might go almost as far but you'll be blinded to it by the rest of the beam bouncing off closer stuff.

TK60 allowed me to put light on a surf life saving hut that google earth,via iPhone 4, told me was 510m away (give or take 20m). It lit up all the beach between me and it. It wasn't lit up like daylight, but you could see it was there.
    There can never be too much honey to lick off your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
    I am actually in the market for something that uses non-LI cells for my old man but offers Catapult like throw, that may be hard to do though.

let the search begin....
    The Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 (the one with the XR-E) comes with a free tube (L2i) and tailswitch and battery cartridge for 3xAAA. $43.99

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/prod...=LF&s=26&id=12
    Last edited by Waspy; 11-09-2011 at 04:43 AM.

I'm amazed every time I turn on my Catapult V3 in the dark!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Flashaholic*

Well, 7" reflectored HIDs can do 10x more candlepower than the best LEDs (eg DEFT High Output version).

Quote Originally Posted by Waspy View Post
    The Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 (the one with the XR-E) comes with a free tube (L2i) and tailswitch and battery cartridge for 3xAAA. $43.99

That will throw like a catapult? Doesn't seem like it from reading that page.

I may be missing it but it looks like it runs on 18650s. I wanted something to run on regular cells C,D, AA, AAA, ect. I don't want him to have to mess with anything else you can't get from every store or worry about charging.

Thanks for the help though.
    Last edited by Breathing Borla; 11-09-2011 at 09:15 AM.

If you don't want Li/ion then you need a light that uses NiMh batteries. I can think of three that use these batteries and still have great throw. I only own one, Fenix TK41. Huge throw and still has good spill. Uses 8 AA batteries. Another is the Fenix TK60. I think the head is the same as the head on the TK41. Uses 4 D cell NiMh batteries. Has about the same brightness and throw as the TK41 but it's longer and heavier because of the 4 D cell batteries. It also gives twice the battery life of the TK41. Lastly, it's the TK70. Huge light using 4 D cell NiMh batteries. It may not throw as far as the Olight SR90 but it's close and it gives off more spill, lighting up all your surroundings. Costs half of what the Olight SR90 costs and uses rechargeable Nimh batteries.

Im getting tired of posting this, but here it goes.

Lumapower D-Mini with XR-E R2 at 1.2A with TurboForce SMO 66mm bezel = 70~80K lux. Yes, thats laser like throw and at 240ihs OTF lumens it will out throw all those 500~1000 lumen newer type of Thrunite/Fenix ect...lights.

You can have somebody even build you a custom Pill with XR-E R2 at 1.4A~1.8A and you will get 80~90K lux out of the same 1*18650 package.

bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post

Lumapower D-Mini with XR-E R2 at 1.2A with TurboForce SMO 66mm bezel = 70~80K lux. Yes, thats laser like throw and at 240ihs OTF lumens it will out throw all those 500~1000 lumen newer type of Thrunite/Fenix ect...lights.

You can have somebody even build you a custom Pill with XR-E R2 at 1.4A~1.8A and you will get 80~90K lux out of the same 1*18650 package.

bigC
    Yes it's throws like mad, but a laser-like beam is not as useful for illumination as the the beampattern of T40CS for example. That D-mini is more for the thought that you have have farthest reaching light. Personally I don't find laser-like beams useful @ 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jthe5th View Post
    Yes it's throws like mad, but a laser-like beam is not as useful for illumination as the the beampattern of T40CS for example. That D-mini is more for the thought that you have have farthest reaching light. Personally I don't find laser-like beams useful @ 100 yards.
    The D-mini uses a P60 type of pill. So, you could easily or have Nailbender make it an XM-L at 2.8A and you willl get 60K lux or more. This will still be very throwy and plenty of spill.

Plus, you can still screw in any P60 pill. same thread size, just it will only screw half way cause the D-Mini has square threads and P60 pills are round.

bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

That will throw like a catapult? Doesn't seem like it from reading that page.

I may be missing it but it looks like it runs on 18650s. I wanted something to run on regular cells C,D, AA, AAA, ect. I don't want him to have to mess with anything else you can't get from every store or worry about charging.

Thanks for the help though.
    It will throw like a catapult, it takes AAAs. I have one next to me on my desk loaded with 3xAAAs

It will throw like a catapult, it takes AAAs.
    no offense, but I would have to see that to believe it

I have a catapult V2 XM-L and I giggle every-time I turn that thing on...it's a wall of light

I will have to look into it more

I can't seem to find any beam shots of it??
    Last edited by Breathing Borla; 11-09-2011 at 03:21 PM.

the web site seems a bit messed up on my browser..

is this everything you need to fire it up, or do you need to buy more pieces?

it describes this as an upgrade kit for a surfire light rather than a complete light on it's own?

I don't see where it says anything about running on AAAs on the right where is show 18650 runtimes, ect..
    Last edited by Breathing Borla; 11-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.

the web site seems a bit messed up on my browser..

is this everything you need to fire it up, or do you need to buy more pieces?

it describes this as an upgrade kit for a surfire light rather than a complete light on it's own?

I don't see where it says anything about running on AAAs on the right where is show 18650 runtimes, ect..
    Yes it fits Surefire bodies, also Solarforce bodies, they are all the same.

You get the 'Monster Thrower Head' bit of a joke name but a serious bit of kit, plus if you look on the left, it says under 'Product Name'...... Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head King ~ Monster Thrower + Free L2i AAA/18650/CR123A battery tube + switch x 1pc FREE !!

I ordered exactly this just for the head (I already had a body and tailswitch to fit) and it came with a (fattish) tube, a tailswitch and a battery cartridge that takes 3xAAAs

Now, the 'Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head' is already acknowledged as a terrific thrower, with the free stuff, you add 3 AAAs for a total of 4.5 volts. The Catapult with one 18650 is 3.7 volts so there is no way it can be underpowered compared to one 18650.

You asked for a great thrower that takes alkalines and I believe this fits. The Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head is a great bit of kit and it comes with all you need except batteries.

Of course, later on if you fancied an upgrade you could add the Solarforce 2x18650 tube and suitable tailswitch.

Well, unfortunatelly, Mastepiece pro-1 doesn't reach its full potential on 1x18650 or 3xAAA. You need at least 2xCR123, 2xRCR123 or 2x18650 (or equivalent in voltage). The circuit inside the head, has step-down converter, which needs bigger voltage, to run the LED at designed current. 1x18650 or 3xAAA won't provide sufficient voltage (18650) or sufficient current (3xAAA) for the circuit, to reach declared brightness. It will be bright and throwy, but it's not 100% of its capabilites.
    I had MPP-1 and tested it in different configurations and these are my conclusions. If you want a pure thrower that is powered by AA cells, consider Fenix TK41 or Lumintop PK30.

Am using the Malkoff Hound Dog w/ MD3.

I find it puts out plenty of throw without being laser-like.

That being said, I'm in the market for a laser-like light! They have an important niche to fill.

Flashaholic

Yes it fits Surefire bodies, also Solarforce bodies, they are all the same.

You get the 'Monster Thrower Head' bit of a joke name but a serious bit of kit, plus if you look on the left, it says under 'Product Name'...... Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head King ~ Monster Thrower + Free L2i AAA/18650/CR123A battery tube + switch x 1pc FREE !!

I ordered exactly this just for the head (I already had a body and tailswitch to fit) and it came with a (fattish) tube, a tailswitch and a battery cartridge that takes 3xAAAs

Now, the 'Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head' is already acknowledged as a terrific thrower, with the free stuff, you add 3 AAAs for a total of 4.5 volts. The Catapult with one 18650 is 3.7 volts so there is no way it can be underpowered compared to one 18650.

You asked for a great thrower that takes alkalines and I believe this fits. The Masterpiece Pro-1 Turbo Head is a great bit of kit and it comes with all you need except batteries.

Of course, later on if you fancied an upgrade you could add the Solarforce 2x18650 tube and suitable tailswitch.
    hmm, interesting.. I quite fancy one of these heads, I think it'd look funky on my l2m mini single cr123 body

How about the DEFT?

Flashaholic*

My pro-1 managed to light up a cabin on the other side of a fjord at 650 meters when i was getting water from a stream on a hunting trip some months ago. There were no ambient light and my atv got terrible light, so i held the pro in my hand while driving back to my cabin. Really fun to play with all the rabbits running in front of me. Ended up with 3 running around in the beam, and they dident want to run out of it, almost felt like hearding them back to my cabin
    It's a one mode, so i prefer 2x18650 with it. It gets dimmer under 6v but it still is plenty bright and really throwy even on 3 aaa's.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by coolperl View Post
    Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 beats A9 (with reflector head). It almost matches original A9 with aspheric lens.

Besides, your fake A9 can be better thrower that original A9. That's because fakes are frequently equipped with LED with EZ900 die, whereas original A9 had older LED with EZ1000 die, which is bigger and provides less throw. So don't hold your breath...
    Spot on!

Just got my genuine A9 and the fake blows it away!

The fake outputs the emmiter square shape while the A9 just goes to a round beam. Gutted, I was expecting it to blow away the fake. Wish I'd never bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post

bigC
    My exact set-up! I got a Lumapower Turboforce head and a D-mini body off CPFMP for $38.00, and put a XR-E in it. It is running at 2A!!!

It THROOOOOOOOWS! It stomps my el-cheapo DX aspherical set-up (also an XR-E.)
    Last edited by brandocommando; 11-14-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: modded light! (again)

Quote Originally Posted by coolperl View Post
    Buy youself a real thrower (like Catapult V3, Crelant 7G5, Sunwayman TC40S) and you'll laugh from your poor TN11.
    Hi coolperl
    Saw your great review and I am less concerned about my 7G5 whining now.
    Is there a way to changing the UI of the 7G5? Or am I hoping too much for a light that price.
    IMHO the light's UI really is no match to its build qualit and finish.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by AutoTech View Post
    Spot on!

Just got my genuine A9 and the fake blows it away!

The fake outputs the emmiter square shape while the A9 just goes to a round beam. Gutted, I was expecting it to blow away the fake. Wish I'd never bothered.
    Just to add, I was being a muppet!

The reason the A9 wasn't the same as the fake was because the fake had an o-ring between the head collar and body collar, so when tight the head was a couple of mm further out than the A9. I put the o-ring on the A9 and it focuses the same as the fake. Got to say though the fake is all I'd have needed, the real A9 is a bit nicer but you'd not know the difference apart from 2 orings on the threads at each end.

Page 1 of 46 1234567811 ... LastLast