Banggood Network
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated throwers

Default Re: Dedicated throwers

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    +1 on that Lumapower D-Mini with 66SMO Reflector.

I ran my personal one at 2A too. My emitter was XR-E R2 EZ1000 and highest pure white bin known. It clocked in at 88K lux or so. With a 1.3A driver pill I believe I was at 77K lux, so still alot more throw then most Aspheric type builds. Well, not the DEFT.
    Add here Deerelight DBS V3 with R2 E7 900, 1,5 amp, SM pill that has 90 k lux readings
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

Quote Originally Posted by Tatjanamagic View Post
    Add here Deerelight DBS V3 with R2 E7 900, 1,5 amp, SM pill that has 90 k lux readings
    but using that smaller emitter the XR-E R2 EZ900 is cheating!!!

Good stuff, really impressive and 1.5A is about perfect for overdriving that EZ900

bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

+1 on that Lumapower D-Mini with 66SMO Reflector.

I ran my personal one at 2A too. My emitter was XR-E R2 EZ1000 and highest pure white bin known. It clocked in at 88K lux or so. With a 1.3A driver pill I believe I was at 77K lux, so still alot more throw then most Aspheric type builds. Well, not the DEFT.

Just so you guys know. Lamdalights.com is currently finalizing the Turbo XM-L 2D Mag. It already does 135K lux via 3in SMO Reflector on a 2D Mag and powered by 3 NiMH C cells. With 33 mode knob its very useable. Plus, I am pushing him to hopefully drive it at 5.5A vs. the 4.5A it is now.
    http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=2712.0

best,
    bigC
    That's pretty good numbers he is getting out of that setup. Are those your tested numbers or his? I went to Home Depot today and bought a M@g with the XR-E in it. The package says it does 37567cd. With my setup I got slightly over 35Kcd. I trust M@g's numbers as they are done in accordance with the FL1 standard using calibrated equipment. If you'll recall I mentioned having arranged my setup to be as close to known measured lights minus a slight bit just to be on the safe side. I'd rather undersell my lights than oversell them. It appears with this latest test of the M@g that that is indeed what I have accomplished.

I have this light and can tell you he is underselling the DBS. I actually get a peak reading of 107Kcd! Not sure if he sent me the cream of the crop or not but I am very impressed. I used the DEFT-edc LR light engine with the DBS lens and got a reading of 207Kcd!!!

Hi friends,

Saabluster friend I think this DBS would be nice for your new category thrower...

This light need some professional tuning and your touch. Not to mention that U would get upgradable configuration with this light so U could sell all kind of saabluster tuned emitters for it... Don't be mad at me Saab I know it probably is not that easy. Need experience time and money and probably with last thing U R bit short

This EZ 900 r2 with 1,5 runs fine but man if U R telling me 207 klux/meter with your xpc this is wow!

I have tried my green XPC(saabluster says it is xpc so I thrust him, because I got it like XPE) and light meter says 52000 klux/m measured at 7 meters and converted... But this emitter runs on 0,5 amp current Just imagine running at least on 1A...

And it runs fine with deerelight aspheric. Also Zoom adjusting works better with green xpc than with r2 xre... So in fact U have monster flood to throw ligh.

But of course not everybody like aspheric.

Bigchelice likes reflector throwers and that is fine... I have old magcharger without any idea and knowledge to tune it up(and no people here in darkonia that know how to modify it) so I like that reflector mag configuration with some impressive numbers your friend is offering...

But for my eyes aspheric works better on great distances... I'll stick on that for now...

Quote Originally Posted by ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS View Post
    I might add that the Catapult V3 is the best looking and machined light I have. The 7075 aluminum gives this light some heft. And the finish on this light is second to none. I got mine slightly used for $103 shipped to my door with insurance. Hard to pass up a deal like that.

Here's another shot I took last night.

105yds to that neighbors pool. Those farthest trees in the background below the pool are probably at least 200yds.

awsome pics, yup, one heck of light. That why you hear from the owners of these lights, they rock
    Catapult V2 XM-L, ITP-E50, ITP-A3 EOS, TerraLux 220, JetBeam PA-40W, Thrunite TN31 & T10

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    That's pretty good numbers he is getting out of that setup. Are those your tested numbers or his? I went to Home Depot today and bought a M@g with the XR-E in it. The package says it does 37567cd. With my setup I got slightly over 35Kcd. I trust M@g's numbers as they are done in accordance with the FL1 standard using calibrated equipment. If you'll recall I mentioned having arranged my setup to be as close to known measured lights minus a slight bit just to be on the safe side. I'd rather undersell my lights than oversell them. It appears with this latest test of the M@g that that is indeed what I have accomplished.

I have this light and can tell you he is underselling the DBS. I actually get a peak reading of 107Kcd! Not sure if he sent me the cream of the crop or not but I am very impressed. I used the DEFT-edc LR light engine with the DBS lens and got a reading of 207Kcd!!!

He has my actual AEMC CA817 Lux meter that I sent to him. We all measure at 5M and calculate back. Its actually not that different than what Ma_Sha1 did on a 100% identical build. Ma_Sha1 used the same reflector and emitter as Lamdalights. In Ma_Sha1 his Xm-L was driven at 4.25A and net 125K lux. So, Kevin is driving at 4.5A and getting 130K lux. So, at least it makes sense and its right around what I expected.

Now, what is this DBS with 207K lux you speak off!!!!!

bigC

Flashaholic

As a willing student seeking extreme throw I have the DEFT EDC made by saabluster, the Lumapower D-Mini VX R2 with Turbo Force head that big chelis speaks highly of and I have the Dereelight DBS 1.5a R2 ez900 with DBS aspheric head on the way that Tatjanamagic rocks. I just wanted to say that all these lights are fantastic throwers in there own way using different designs and ideas. I have not got the DBS in my hands yet but I trust the information given to me and am sure that it will be amazing.Thanks guys for doing all the work and testing so people like me can buy an amazing light with proven results.

Now, what is this DBS with 207K lux you speak off!!!!!

bigC
    It is the DEFT edc LR light engine combined with the DBS optics. Given that I measured the new ez900 R2 pill in the stock DBS at 107Kcd this gives you some clue as to just how powerful the DEFT-edc LR's LE really is. That is why I have said it was revolutionary. And keep in mind that is 207Kcd with a neutral tint.

BTW I now have access to a calibrated spectrometer and IS. Just found out my brother-in-law works with these all the time and has for years.

saabluster will the next production run be available with this emitter and optic or is this the current config? I am patiently waiting for a LR, don't really want to drop big $ on an invictus...

Flashaholic*

Are you all speaking of a reflectored DBS, or an aspheric?
    Single cell 18650?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by cummins4x4 View Post
    saabluster will the next production run be available with this emitter and optic or is this the current config? I am patiently waiting for a LR, don't really want to drop big $ on an invictus...
    The last and the next run of DEFT-edc LRs have the XP-C Q4. The optic will continue to be the Ahorton aspheric with 60Kcd typical. No changes on that front as it is the most potent solution available for that size light.

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Are you all speaking of a reflectored DBS, or an aspheric?
    Single cell 18650?
    When in reference to the DBS it has been about the aspheric model. Yes there is an option for a single 18650.

I want to help U people...

When U R buying deerelight pills with S(up to 6 V)signature driven on one cell. Well maybe U did not notice but they have 10 % power loos after few minutes of using(on bad batteries even less)

So I always take SM pills (4-16V) with exstension tube and don't have such problems...

Saabluster Can U modify me XPC pill for DBS? I will pay U? Or at least can U tune up 1,5amp ez900 r2 stock pill for me at lest to 2 Amp... I'll pay... Tune up your and send me to my address and I will pay the difference for new pill for U and old tuned that U sent to me???

Or one more solution I can send my pill to your address on tuning and U charge me costs? Please contact me if U R Interested...

About lux readings... I have pretty good lux meter... And I have following readings for dbs 89292.8 lux/m taken with TES 1332A lux meter. Distance 7 meters.

Where I did wrong? U said 107klux but I am not getting those results?
    Last edited by Tatjanamagic; 11-22-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Flashaholic*

Can't wait for my Dereelight EZ900 1.5A pill to arrive. Sent out last week....

Enlightened

hi bro. the ez900 emitter is smaller compared to the ez1000 right? i have the old 1.2a pill and comparing the two the 1.5a has a slightly smaller emitter. we only need the nailbender 1.4amp pill to make a comparative review. that would be blast!
    but then i would leave that to the more knowlegable ones.like you.
    D10, EOS A3, DBS Aspheric V3, TK 41, TK40 and my reliable FJ40....love them all.

Flashaholic

My DBS aspheric head has arrived today, now just waiting for the DBS and the ez900 1.5a LED to arrive and then its time to rock steady.

The best way to set up asheric is when standing about 7 meters from the wall and focus so that led die is clearly visible with minimum corona around it.

I

Flashaholic

With regards to focusing the aspherical head on the DBS, how accurate does it need to be? Is there any point in shining the light down range and trying to get the beam to converge/focus at the farthest point one can see? I suppose i just want to know if it needs to be done to a thousanth of an inch.

When properly focused how far will the light reach with the 1.5a R2 led?

Regards,

Philip

I just picked up a used EDC LR (it's in the mail). Will be very interested to see how it compares to my existing Dereelight (DBS) Aspheric with the 1.5 amp XR-E R2 pill.

I'm quite impressed with the DBS setup but want to see if I can get a different pill for it (for even more throw). I purchased a 1.2 amp (1x18650) XR-E R2 directly from Dereelight but was disappointed it had considerably less throw than my 1.5 amp (2x18650) XR-E. I think (not sure) both are using the older 1000 (instead of the 900). Plus both of these pills have three level drivers - for me it makes sense to only have one level for an aspheric.

I was thinking about getting another pill for the DBS. From what I have read on these forums, it seems like an XR-E R2 900 driven at 1.4 to 1.5 amps would be a good way to go. But looking at Nailbender's sales thread, it seems like he can guarantee that his XR-E are 900s at this time.

Saabluster - can you build me a custom DBS pill? I would like one output level running from a single 18650. From your experience, which would be better for the Dereelight aspheric - an XR-E R2 900 or a XP-C? Could you include any of your "recycle light" magic?

Quote Originally Posted by nc_hooper View Post
    I just picked up a used EDC LR (it's in the mail). Will be very interested to see how it compares to my existing Dereelight (DBS) Aspheric with the 1.5 amp XR-E R2 pill.

DBS will throw more cause tis 65K~75K with XR-E at 1.5A and it has a huge Aspheric likely 50% bigger than the EDC LR.

I'm quite impressed with the DBS setup but want to see if I can get a different pill for it (for even more throw). I purchased a 1.2 amp (1x18650) XR-E R2 directly from Dereelight but was disappointed it had considerably less throw than my 1.5 amp (2x18650) XR-E. I think (not sure) both are using the older 1000 (instead of the 900). Plus both of these pills have three level drivers - for me it makes sense to only have one level for an aspheric.

Less current less throw. The XR-E R2 EZ1000 can take 2A pretty well, but it does need to be bolted down to the copper heatsink or bonded directly to it in order to see the potential. The EZ900 I just never got any great results at 2A. In my search for throw the EZ900 topped out at 1.5A~1.6A then after that it was just wasted energy and I had a 1lbs chunk of copper in my 2D Mag as a test mule.

I was thinking about getting another pill for the DBS. From what I have read on these forums, it seems like an XR-E R2 900 driven at 1.4 to 1.5 amps would be a good way to go. But looking at Nailbender's sales thread, it seems like he can guarantee that his XR-E are 900s at this time.

Nailbender did a couple EZ900 P60 and other builds for me. I had to get the EZ900 from Deal Extreme and sent them over to him. The EZ900, you just dont know how good they are. So, I purchased like 10 of them and some were good some not soo good.

Saabluster - can you build me a custom DBS pill? I would like one output level running from a single 18650. From your experience, which would be better for the Dereelight aspheric - an XR-E R2 900 or a XP-C? Could you include any of your "recycle light" magic?

Bigchelis,

Thanks for your response - very informative. That the EDC LR can come close to the DBS (with its much larger lens) is impressive.

I just ordered a EZ1000 1.4 amp pill from Nailbender. This should be an upgrade for me, since it can run on 1x18650 and is single mode. But I'm still interested if some can build something considerably better for me (XR-E EZ1000 at 2 amps, XR-E EZ900 at 1.5 amps, XP-C, etc). Hopefully Saabluster will chime in.

In your experience, which has more throw - the EZ900 at 1.5 amps or the EZ1000 at 2.0 amps?

Thanks,

Andy

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
    My Catapult XM-L has some serious throw. I hit two coyotes really far away the other night and they took off

Every-time I turn it on high I think, WOW this thing throws, you have to lean into it it throws out so much light, LOL

I am actually in the market for something that uses non-LI cells for my old man but offers Catapult like throw, that may be hard to do though.

let the search begin....
    TK41 is right there with it.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    It is the DEFT edc LR light engine combined with the DBS optics. Given that I measured the new ez900 R2 pill in the stock DBS at 107Kcd this gives you some clue as to just how powerful the DEFT-edc LR's LE really is. That is why I have said it was revolutionary. And keep in mind that is 207Kcd with a neutral tint.
    saabluster - I just clicked on your deft link and saw that thing - Wow! that is impressive!! I can't believe I missed that with all the time I"ve spent on here.

I've often dreamed about making some kind of easy to carry with you diffuser that you could store in the battery tube and was quite shocked to see you had done it. Can you sell just your "roll up" diffusers? Any chance you could make custom sizes?

And most importantly, I want one of these 207k dbs - are you/will you sell them?

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
    saabluster - I just clicked on your deft link and saw that thing - Wow! that is impressive!! I can't believe I missed that with all the time I"ve spent on here.

I've often dreamed about making some kind of easy to carry with you diffuser that you could store in the battery tube and was quite shocked to see you had done it. Can you sell just your "roll up" diffusers? Any chance you could make custom sizes?

And most importantly, I want one of these 207k dbs - are you/will you sell them?
    Yes and I want that...

Bigchelis,

Thanks for your response - very informative. That the EDC LR can come close to the DBS (with its much larger lens) is impressive.

I just ordered a EZ1000 1.4 amp pill from Nailbender. This should be an upgrade for me, since it can run on 1x18650 and is single mode. But I'm still interested if some can build something considerably better for me (XR-E EZ1000 at 2 amps, XR-E EZ900 at 1.5 amps, XP-C, etc). Hopefully Saabluster will chime in.

In your experience, which has more throw - the EZ900 at 1.5 amps or the EZ1000 at 2.0 amps?

Thanks,

Andy
    Andy,
    The EZ900 in my personal builds at just 1.4A vs. the EZ1000 at 2A, well the answer is not as easy as you may want.

My Lumapower D-mini with 35mm SMO bezel as an example. These use a P60 pill which is similar to the Dereelight DBS or a Nailbender drop-in.

The EZ900, at 1.4A via driver did about 165 OTF lumens and 27K lux
    The EZ1000 at 1.3A via driver built by Nailbender did 290 OTF lumens and 27klux
    The EZ1000 at 2A via direct drive build by PCC did 330ish OTF lumens and 23.5K lux

So, which do you think I liked more. Well, the EZ1000 at 2A of course. In person it just looked so much brighter and impressive. The 50% more OTF lumens just won me over and the laser like beam was still there.

My goal was to get the EZ900 at 1.5A exactly and have it bonded directly to copper to see if it actually improved in terms of OTF lumens and lux, but it was just so difficult to do the bonding that I gave up. Which is why I see Saablaster is doing such great numbers with his DBS. Its the cooling of the LED that will determine the performance. If you cant cool it the lumens are lost ASAP.

and put me on that DBS 207K lux list too!!!!!!

bigC

Saabluster Can U modify me XPC pill for DBS? I will pay U? Or at least can U tune up 1,5amp ez900 r2 stock pill for me at lest to 2 Amp... I'll pay... Tune up your and send me to my address and I will pay the difference for new pill for U and old tuned that U sent to me???

Or one more solution I can send my pill to your address on tuning and U charge me costs? Please contact me if U R Interested...

About lux readings... I have pretty good lux meter... And I have following readings for dbs 89292.8 lux/m taken with TES 1332A lux meter. Distance 7 meters.

Where I did wrong? U said 107klux but I am not getting those results?
    Just because it is possible to reach certain levels does not make them useful. There is a tipping point where you can increase lux but not increase visibility if the beam is too small. Sometimes a larger but less intense beam is preferred unless you just want bragging rights. But it is not all about the beam size. If you can significantly increase the intensity then you can have a smaller beam if it would have enough intensity by the time the beam has diverged enough to be useful. The XP-C in the DBS is borderline for me. I will have to do some more work and get an ez900 moddified with the LR to make a final judgement.

BigC is correct. The DEFT-edc LR should be about equal to the 1.1A ez1000 XR-E DBS aspheric but much smaller and with a neutral tint. The new 1.5A pill ez900 DBS combo will beat the edc LR though. The size of a light is one of the biggest determining factors in how well a light can throw and the DBS is significantly larger.

Quote Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

Thanks I certainly can make you a custom cut diffuser. Send me a request to omglumens at "gee" mail dot com.

wow that Thrunite Catapult V3 is crazy I can not find it but where can i buy that in holand ? i realy love it

BigC,

Thanks for even more great information. From your description, I agree that the EZ1000 is more useful with a reflector given the significant increase in lumens. In the case of an aspheric, the lumens are less important, but I would think the EZ1000 (driven with more amps) would still be better, especially when the thermal bounding challenges are considered.

Thanks again,

Andy

Saabluster,

Good hearing from the king of throw. I'm very much looking forward to receiving the EDC LR. Any chance of offering the DBS 207K lux upgrade. Sounds like several people would be interested in it.

Thanks,

Andy

Flashaholic

That that Thrunite Catapult V3 really is a beauty!!

My problem is not where to find one, but rather how to sneak it into the house without the wife noticing...

Hiding the light in my office is one thing but that much light in the back yard the night it arrives will be hard to explain.

Saabluster,

Good hearing from the king of throw. I'm very much looking forward to receiving the EDC LR. Any chance of offering the DBS 207K lux upgrade. Sounds like several people would be interested in it.

Thanks,

Andy
    It is possible. I am not going to just slap something together though. This will take a little time to see what is possible, at what reliability level, and what the best balanced components are. It will also require some custom CNC cut pieces. Not entirely sure yet I want to invest the time and money but you never know.