The Fenix-Store
Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930313233343538 ... LastLast

Thread: Dedicated throwers

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Dedicated throwers

Another vote for T40CS
    Much tighter hotspot(5 degrees) with superb throw
    Best M3LT substitution
    Can be powered by 2 16340,unfortunately they have altered the diameter of battery tube so that T20CS tube cant fit on it

Flashaholic

I vote to have all of these listed at the top with basic information along side.

Flashaholic*

I wonder if it's possible to have 3 XR-E R2 emitters mounted on a concave surface so that they focus at the same point. You would then put a small collimator lens at that point and then a larger aspheric lens at the usual appropriate focal length.

I'm not sure if the collimator lens would be able to take full advantage of the highly angled beams from the 3 emitters.

Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to have 3 XR-E R2 emitters mounted on a concave surface so that they focus at the same point. You would then put a small collimator lens at that point and then a larger aspheric lens at the usual appropriate focal length.

I'm not sure if the collimator lens would be able to take full advantage of the highly angled beams from the 3 emitters.
    Will not work.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    Will not work.
    I figured that if it was that easy you would have already done it

However, care to elaborate a bit?

Are the angles at the intersect point such that the collimator lens can't effectively collimate it?

By the way, I saw a thread on another site today where someone built an aspheric with 3 emitters (XR-E) using (3) 44mm aspherics all in an 88mm head. Some of the asperics had to be ground down a bit. The lenses were mounted in such a way that a twist of the head could fine tune the aspherics making them all overlap (the projected images that is).
    Last edited by gcbryan; 03-01-2012 at 12:58 AM.

I figured that if it was that easy you would have already done it

However, care to elaborate a bit?

Are the angles at the intersect point such that the collimator lens can't effectively collimate it?

By the way, I saw a thread on another site today where someone built an aspheric with 3 emitters (XR-E) using (3) 44mm aspherics all in an 88mm head. Some of the asperics had to be ground down a bit. The lenses were mounted in such a way that a twist of the head could fine tune the aspherics making them all overlap (the projected images that is).
    Yeah I wish it was that easy. Whatever you want collimated must be in the center. Adding a lens does not change that.

Multi-aspherics are nothing new. In fact the best I saw was one where the three beams were aimed at a common point so they actually created a more intense beam than if they all pointed perfectly forward. No defocusing needed to blend the beams. Think it might have been Packhorse but I'm not sure. At any rate I have not messed with multi-emitter aspherics because they are not as powerful as a single high quality lens assuming the overall diameter stays the same.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    Yeah I wish it was that easy. Whatever you want collimated must be in the center. Adding a lens does not change that.

Multi-aspherics are nothing new. In fact the best I saw was one where the three beams were aimed at a common point so they actually created a more intense beam than if they all pointed perfectly forward. No defocusing needed to blend the beams. Think it might have been Packhorse but I'm not sure. At any rate I have not messed with multi-emitter aspherics because they are not as powerful as a single high quality lens assuming the overall diameter stays the same.
    The light I saw had the LEDs aimed at a common point as well. That was the whole point (of this light). It's just that it had the ability to move that common point around a bit to fine tune it.

I can see one good quality aspheric being better than 3 smaller one as far as what the lens can do but when you add 2 more emitters aimed at the same spot I would think the lux has got to go up and I don't see how that could be accomplished using just one larger aspheric (if you are going to use 3 emitters). So that still looks like an application where 3 lenses with 3 emitters would be better than one large lens and only one emitter.

Flashaholic*

Basic law:
    Non-parallel light rays will eventually meet each other result in a "focus"
    When the screen(or target) has moved, the focus will not be on the new position unless the optics is moved

I'm VERY new to the flashlight sickness but I have it bad. Do in part to this thread and others, I just received a Crelant 7G5 - and it is AWESOME - of course I have nothing to compare it to other than a 3d maglight from 20 years ago - not much of a comparison.

Thanks to everyone - cool place to hang out. Now if I could only figure out what a "pill" is.

Phil

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by philmadxx View Post
    I'm VERY new to the flashlight sickness but I have it bad. Do in part to this thread and others, I just received a Crelant 7G5 - and it is AWESOME - of course I have nothing to compare it to other than a 3d maglight from 20 years ago - not much of a comparison.

Thanks to everyone - cool place to hang out. Now if I could only figure out what a "pill" is.

Phil
    A pill is a drop in
    Let say P60 pill, it means a P60 drop in
    Like metro being railway

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by philmadxx View Post

Phil
    It's the emitter and the piece of metal that it is affixed to. It's sometimes used synonymously with drop-in which usually also includes the reflector (in the case of P60 size lights).

It's just a quick way to be able to change the emitter is some lights by just taking out one "pill" and putting in another.
    Last edited by gcbryan; 03-05-2012 at 06:25 PM.

I can see one good quality aspheric being better than 3 smaller one as far as what the lens can do but when you add 2 more emitters aimed at the same spot I would think the lux has got to go up and I don't see how that could be accomplished using just one larger aspheric (if you are going to use 3 emitters). So that still looks like an application where 3 lenses with 3 emitters would be better than one large lens and only one emitter.
    For ultimate lux, one large lens is always better than 3 smaller lens/3 leds.
    The 3 led set-up will triple the lumens, but smaller lens make the spot much bigger, the spot intensity, even with 3 spot stacked on top of each other,
    still not as intense.

Same thing with reflectors, triples will always be more floody & will not out throw singles with one large reflector fitting in the same diameter head.
    My Mods.. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...5&postcount=78
    Hobby only, I don't do custom mods as a service, thanks for understanding.

Got my Smallsun aspheric today.
    I don't have a meter but the beam looks a bit smaller than my ez900 Ahorton.
    A bit more intense too.

Might have to get it modded to 1.7a neutral single mode.
    I don't need modes for this kind of light.

The sliding focus thing would suck if the best focus wasn't at the far end.
    It's too easily slid to be in the middle.

Impressive light for the $ !
    Shipping from HK (Manafont) took a month.

I still prefer the Ahorton kit in an L2P as its smaller and u can use any pill u want.
    Maybe the Smallsun takes p60 type pills - I havnt opened it up yet.

Cheers!

*Flashaholic*

I took some beam shots the other night with some throwers I had with me on the way back from work....so the pics are crappy, but if you ignore the noise, you can mentally correct back to the amount of light on the target.

The shots include an assortment of Olight SR90 (De-Domed) and the Magic Scorpion HID, and the DEFT edc LR - on some long range (500 - 800 meter) targets...they reached both.

And some additional shots on closer (233 meter) targets for the 4sevens S18, the Klarus XT20, the Jetbeam RRT-3 XML, and DRY, ...for mid-range.

I didn't do any closer than the 233 meter range....my camera battery decided it had been enough pics for the night.

A few (Proof I need a better low light with zoom camera...) beam shots for calibration purposes:

Magic Gashfire illuminating a Power Line Tower at 800 meter range (In real life, you could see it better, but the pics suck - apply accordingly to pics to follow, etc...)

De-Domed Olight SR90 illuminating same tower at 800 meters (In real life, it was easier to see than with the Magic, but you could see the tower was actually lit up by both of them) - The De-Domed SR90 out threw the HID, with more light on the target even at 800 meters. Both COULD throw further than that though, but I had nothing good to shoot at as a target. I was shooting blind, as the view finder was pitch black, and I saw nothing until I got home.

Magic on Tower at 500 Meters

DD SR90 on same tower at 500 M, not zoomed (Forgot to shoot Magic unzoomed )

DD SR 90 on 500 M tower

--------

Pond, 233 meters to treeline on other side of pond - A building, visible as a light colored wall in some shots, was on the other side of that tree line, about another 40 meters further away.

Control

Magic

Magic

Magic

Magic

DD SR90

DD SR90

DEFT edc LR

DRY

Klarus XT20

XT20

XT20

Jetbeam RRT-3 XML

RRT-3 XML

RRT-3 XML

Foursevens Maelstrom S18

S18

S18
    Last edited by TEEJ; 03-07-2012 at 06:13 PM.

It is hard to take night pictures. I appreciate your effort TEEJ. SR90 is excellent thrower but it is huge and not gun mountable... It is to bright for my taste so I C further with aspheric...

But lets say for night walkings and any other regular night activity it is very good and reliable friend.

Not good for hunting.
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

Flashaholic*

(Proof I need a better low light with zoom camera...)
    I recommend Nikon's DC if not DSLR
    I remember their coolpix have manual shutter speed,aperture,ISO (Maybe focus as well)
    Best thing is 18x optical zoom and below $400 USD, even cheaper on promotion
    All you need is this little slim cam and a tripod

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jh333233 View Post
    I recommend Nikon's DC if not DSLR
    I remember their coolpix have manual shutter speed,aperture,ISO (Maybe focus as well)
    Best thing is 18x optical zoom and below $400 USD, even cheaper on promotion
    All you need is this little slim cam and a tripod
    The above is with a Nikon Coolpix S630 on a tripod...but I can't see a way to manually set it. Perhaps the newer models can.

Flashaholic*

[OT]
    There are 2 kinds of coolpix
    One with manual and the other one isnt
    Im using S9100 and it isn't manually controllable
    The kind with prefix "P" is
    S isnt
    Unfortunately you cant have both manual and 18x
    [/OT]

Sorry for OTing

Flashaholic*

Fun video but i see a (possible) flaw in the beam
    You can see the beam is X shaped, making a focus o' light
    And indicating the lens is too far away from emitter
    In prime condition or mega-throw, the light beam should be collimated
    But in this case, the object distance is behind focus, the lens should be taken closer to emitter to produce collimation
    BTW, it seems that your neighbours have much brighter blaster

Nice video Burntrice,

No flaws in his beam JH it is just right way aspheric collimate beam I had same X shaped beam on Tiablo A9 as well...

If U observe carefully U can see X shape in my picture...
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

the SR450 has a nice big reflector and that thing is a great thrower!

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by eyeeatingfish View Post
    the SR450 has a nice big reflector and that thing is a great thrower!
    Wow, it SOUNDS like its even better than the SR90!

Probably irrelevant, but:

Could the repeating bright/dim patterns along the beams of light have anything to do with a resonance harmonic between the frequency of the emitter/media and the frequency of the wavelength?
    Last edited by TEEJ; 03-15-2012 at 04:39 PM.

On my nightly walk along the hill behind my street, I took my DBS Aspherical 1.5 EZ900 in case I spotted something beyond the reach of my XM-L P60 walking light. I noticed a shadow overhead and locked the DBS on a great horned owl flying 50-200 yards out. Lit him up like daylight! It was awesome as I watched him hunt for several minutes until I lost him behind a hill. I'm carrying the DBS Asp from now on as it fits comfortably in the back pocket of my BDUs or the cordura belt pouch I found.
    The nicest thing about not planning for a disaster is that it comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression

So I removed the pill from my Small Sun and found that it would be easy to jam a reflectored p60 module in there.
    I stuck an old ez900 q5 (I think) single mode SMO in with some foil as a shim.
    The reflector adds some artifacts but u could paint it black.
    Anyways, this makes for an easy mod to get the emitter drive level modes and tint u want behind a lens that's slightly larger than the Ahorton.

The drawback being that the emitter sits a bit Lower than the stock pill so the best focus for throw is about halfway extended.

I'm thinking a neutral XPE @2amps would be nice.

The XRE image is about half the size or less than the Ahorton.
    I don't have a meter but it's a bit more intense which makes sense as its a bit larger.

Not sure if anyone is interested in either of these lights (seems the DBS is what people are diggin most here)

Food for thought.

FYI, I've justed posted a review of the new versions of the venerable Tiablo A9 - including a XR-E R2 (EZ900 die, apparently).

Tiablo A9 "Throw King" XR-E R2 & "Flood" XM-L U2 Review: ASPHERIC BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES

Thought you might like to see how the aspherics compare between the various models (also including the XP-G R5 and XM-L U2 versions below):

Plenty more in the review, including detailed throw, output and runtime measures - as well as white-wall shots of the aspheric head on all models ...
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Flashaholic

with a budget in mind for $28 this
    Romisen RC T601 II throws as far as a TK 35

Thanks for that selfbuilt !
    Great review as always.

It seems they could push the emitters a bit harder but looks like a nice package.

if anyone is on a budget:
    For ~16$ the small sun aspheric is a fun toy

No posts in this thread for 3 days??? Bump it up!

I just did a complete overhaul on my Lumapower Turbo Force!

You can see what I did in my build thread HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    On my nightly walk along the hill behind my street, I took my DBS Aspherical 1.5 EZ900 in case I spotted something beyond the reach of my XM-L P60 walking light. I noticed a shadow overhead and locked the DBS on a great horned owl flying 50-200 yards out. Lit him up like daylight! It was awesome as I watched him hunt for several minutes until I lost him behind a hill. I'm carrying the DBS Asp from now on as it fits comfortably in the back pocket of my BDUs or the cordura belt pouch I found.
    I just ordered this setup for my DBS V3 at the weekend (along with an 18650 extension tube) to alternate with my standard head setup - a smooth reflector and the Dereelight 3SD R5 XP-G pill. Even though the throw is impressive on that stock head, I've found myself using it less and less because of the cold, harsh tint and usually go with the more neutral XR-E Q5 driven DBS V1. Hopefully the new aspherical setup on the V3 will change that
    Malkoff P7 3D Mag | Fenix L0D & TK11 | Bitz Alu & Ti | RA Twisty 85-Tr & Clicky Ti [<Avatar<] | Dereelight DBS V1 & DBS V3 | Nitecore: NEX GDP, SR3, EX10 GDP, D20 R2, D10 R2 | Olight M20 Warrior | SF C2 HA & T1A | Liteflux 2XT

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930313233343538 ... LastLast