Dedicated throwers

AutoTech

Enlightened
Awesome! Every flashaholic should have one :D

After seeing reviews and pics I decided to get myself a Tiablo A9, managed to find a new (old stock) one on a well known auction website. It's not here yet but I managed to source an aspheric lens with a free non working fake A9. I got the fake a9 working and WOW, I love the throw and concentration. The light was visible in daylight (overcast) shining 20m into trees! I'd never known anything like it and couldn't wait til dark.

Aparantly the real a9 has noticeably higher lux readings so I'm looking forward to that turning up.

There's just something so amazing about seeing that beam hit something so far away. I was hanging out my son's bedroom window just lighting up roofs for 100's of yards.

I'd slowed down on the light collecting lately, almost settled down but this has sparked a bit more enthusiasm into the hobby for me.

Anyone else with me? (well I know there is :D ) apart from the A9 is there anything else like that? I'm talking off the shelf not deft style.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 beats A9 (with reflector head). It almost matches original A9 with aspheric lens.

Besides, your fake A9 can be better thrower that original A9. That's because fakes are frequently equipped with LED with EZ900 die, whereas original A9 had older LED with EZ1000 die, which is bigger and provides less throw. So don't hold your breath...

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
My Catapult XM-L has some serious throw. I hit two coyotes really far away the other night and they took off :eek:

Every-time I turn it on high I think, WOW this thing throws, you have to lean into it it throws out so much light, LOL

I am actually in the market for something that uses non-LI cells for my old man but offers Catapult like throw, that may be hard to do though.

let the search begin....

Blitzwing

Enlightened
+1 for the Pro-1.

For a cheap light, the Ultrafire WF-008 recoil thrower is not bad either.

AutoTech

Enlightened
I just repeat myself but the Thrunite TN11 is awesome

I have the TN11, it does indeed throw.. But, the more dedicated throwers are in a different league. The TN11 puts out a good flood as well, this A9 with collimater head just puts out the square shape of the emmiter for hundreds of yds. The tn11 might go almost as far but you'll be blinded to it by the rest of the beam bouncing off closer stuff.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK60 allowed me to put light on a surf life saving hut that google earth,via iPhone 4, told me was 510m away (give or take 20m). It lit up all the beach between me and it. It wasn't lit up like daylight, but you could see it was there.

Waspy

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

1hawaii50

Newly Enlightened
I'm amazed every time I turn on my Catapult V3 in the dark!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
The Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 (the one with the XR-E) comes with a free tube (L2i) and tailswitch and battery cartridge for 3xAAA. $43.99

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=12

That will throw like a catapult? Doesn't seem like it from reading that page.

I may be missing it but it looks like it runs on 18650s. I wanted something to run on regular cells C,D, AA, AAA, ect. I don't want him to have to mess with anything else you can't get from every store or worry about charging.

Thanks for the help though.

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
If you don't want Li/ion then you need a light that uses NiMh batteries. I can think of three that use these batteries and still have great throw. I only own one, Fenix TK41. Huge throw and still has good spill. Uses 8 AA batteries. Another is the Fenix TK60. I think the head is the same as the head on the TK41. Uses 4 D cell NiMh batteries. Has about the same brightness and throw as the TK41 but it's longer and heavier because of the 4 D cell batteries. It also gives twice the battery life of the TK41. Lastly, it's the TK70. Huge light using 4 D cell NiMh batteries. It may not throw as far as the Olight SR90 but it's close and it gives off more spill, lighting up all your surroundings. Costs half of what the Olight SR90 costs and uses rechargeable Nimh batteries.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im getting tired of posting this, but here it goes.

Lumapower D-Mini with XR-E R2 at 1.2A with TurboForce SMO 66mm bezel = 70~80K lux. Yes, thats laser like throw and at 240ihs OTF lumens it will out throw all those 500~1000 lumen newer type of Thrunite/Fenix ect...lights.

You can have somebody even build you a custom Pill with XR-E R2 at 1.4A~1.8A and you will get 80~90K lux out of the same 1*18650 package.

bigC

Jthe5th

Newly Enlightened
Im getting tired of posting this, but here it goes.

Lumapower D-Mini with XR-E R2 at 1.2A with TurboForce SMO 66mm bezel = 70~80K lux. Yes, thats laser like throw and at 240ihs OTF lumens it will out throw all those 500~1000 lumen newer type of Thrunite/Fenix ect...lights.

You can have somebody even build you a custom Pill with XR-E R2 at 1.4A~1.8A and you will get 80~90K lux out of the same 1*18650 package.

bigC

Yes it's throws like mad, but a laser-like beam is not as useful for illumination as the the beampattern of T40CS for example. That D-mini is more for the thought that you have have farthest reaching light. Personally I don't find laser-like beams useful @ 100 yards.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it's throws like mad, but a laser-like beam is not as useful for illumination as the the beampattern of T40CS for example. That D-mini is more for the thought that you have have farthest reaching light. Personally I don't find laser-like beams useful @ 100 yards.

The D-mini uses a P60 type of pill. So, you could easily or have Nailbender make it an XM-L at 2.8A and you willl get 60K lux or more. This will still be very throwy and plenty of spill.

Plus, you can still screw in any P60 pill. same thread size, just it will only screw half way cause the D-Mini has square threads and P60 pills are round.

bigC

Waspy

Newly Enlightened
That will throw like a catapult? Doesn't seem like it from reading that page.

I may be missing it but it looks like it runs on 18650s. I wanted something to run on regular cells C,D, AA, AAA, ect. I don't want him to have to mess with anything else you can't get from every store or worry about charging.

Thanks for the help though.

It will throw like a catapult, it takes AAAs. I have one next to me on my desk loaded with 3xAAAs

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
It will throw like a catapult, it takes AAAs.

no offense, but I would have to see that to believe it

I have a catapult V2 XM-L and I giggle every-time I turn that thing on...it's a wall of light

I will have to look into it more

I can't seem to find any beam shots of it??

Last edited:

Breathing Borla

Newly Enlightened
The Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 (the one with the XR-E) comes with a free tube (L2i) and tailswitch and battery cartridge for 3xAAA. $43.99

http://www.solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=12

the web site seems a bit messed up on my browser..

is this everything you need to fire it up, or do you need to buy more pieces?

it describes this as an upgrade kit for a surfire light rather than a complete light on it's own?

I don't see where it says anything about running on AAAs on the right where is show 18650 runtimes, ect..

Last edited: