Malkoff
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1354

Thread: Dedicated throwers

  1. #31

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by yiyans View Post
    Hi coolperl
    Saw your great review and I am less concerned about my 7G5 whining now.
    Is there a way to changing the UI of the 7G5? Or am I hoping too much for a light that price.
    IMHO the light's UI really is no match to its build qualit and finish.
    What UI do you prefer? Or you just follow the personal preference of the reviewer which a large number of flashlights?
    The light has memory though.

  2. #32
    Flashaholic* Wiggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Halifax, NS
    Posts
    1,073

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoTech View Post
    hmm, interesting.. I quite fancy one of these heads, I think it'd look funky on my l2m mini single cr123 body



  3. #33

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by AutoTech View Post

    Anyone else with me? (well I know there is ) apart from the A9 is there anything else like that? I'm talking off the shelf not deft style.
    But the DEFT is "off the shelf" as in it needs no assembly. I also stand behind my work. Maybe you mean you don't like custom lights?

  4. #34

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    I think I understand what you've got saabluster, power, balance and efficiency wise. I was playing around with a 1.5 lumen white led and a magnifying glass, looking at the diode shape on the wall and dimly lighting up the tops of trees outside, and with that little tiny bit of light, and throwing it so far, I was noticing how much the spill was impairing my use of the spot of light.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

  5. #35
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    While new here, all of my purchases have been made with information gained on CPF. And with that, I must agree with the thrunite catapult being an excellent thrower. This light needs room to stretch it's legs. And to add, the knowledge here can be intimidating. Hope my first post doesn't sound rediculous.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by LGT View Post
    While new here, all of my purchases have been made with information gained on CPF. And with that, I must agree with the thrunite catapult being an excellent thrower. This light needs room to stretch it's legs. And to add, the knowledge here can be intimidating. Hope my first post doesn't sound rediculous.
    not at all bro, welcome to the sickness

    my catapult rocks too, get some AW cells and you will amazed how they perform. Don't forget your DMM either

  7. #37
    Flashaholic coolperl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Europe, Poland
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by yiyans View Post
    Hi coolperl
    Saw your great review and I am less concerned about my 7G5 whining now.
    Is there a way to changing the UI of the 7G5? Or am I hoping too much for a light that price.
    IMHO the light's UI really is no match to its build qualit and finish.
    Please ask this question in 7G5 review thread. This is not a proper thread.
    But to answer shortly, you can change the UI by changing the circuit board. With original board, you have to accept also original UI, as it is. However beeing a pure thrower and having a memory, 7G5 is not that hard to operate. Just leave it on "High" and enjoy your ~800lm and ~60K lux/1m.

  8. #38
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Just took my A9 with aspheric head and my TN11 out into the countryside. My mrs had left her camera down her horse field so I keenly went off armed with two of my lights.

    I took pics and a vid on my phone but it just doesn't come accross anywhere near as great. One thing's for sure the TN11 is like a flood light compared to the A9.

    It was a bit misty and the beam was just like a giant light sabre

  9. #39
    Flashaholic Tatjanamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Darkonia
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    When we talk about dedicated throwers...

    There are 2 categories:
    - Aspherical lenses throwers

    - Deep reflector throwers

    And simple fact that old XRE emitters are still king of throw weather in aspherical or reflector lights make me think that there are no and that will not be any more improvements in this category.

    So I would say that only xre flashlight are true and dedicated throwers so all of you who have newest emitters be sure that U don't have dedicated thrower unless U downgrade to old xre.

    Beam distance; Aspherical vs Reflector (same size) running the same emitter at same current... Winner is always aspheric


    And I would like to add that lux readings are not telling U much about throwing ability of your flashlight.... So when you measure 60Klux/1m with reflector lights U must know that this will melt down at greater distances as hotspot is getting bigger so 800 lumen 7G5 XML led will have less throw than lets say 250 lumens solarforce masterpice xre light.
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

  10. #40
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    249

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Here's a pic of my A9 with aspheric head. Rested it down on a fence post and aimed at a tree about 80 metres. I took a vid too.



    The A9 has an o ring between the head and body to focus the emmiter shape, without it the light just has a round beam and doesn't get out like this. I had it out a good few hundred yards, as I say it wasn't a particularly clear night, bit damp in the air.

    Here's my TN11 walking down the track to the field.



    Pics aren't too bad considering they're off my iphone 4s.
    Last edited by AutoTech; 11-13-2011 at 12:44 PM.

  11. #41
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    516

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    [QUOTE=Breathing Borla;3794086]not at all bro, welcome to the sickness

    my catapult rocks too, get some AW cells and you will amazed how they perform. Don't forget your DMM either[/QUOTE What is a DMM?

  12. #42
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    189

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Digital Multimeter to measure the battery voltage I guess.
    Maglite 3D // MTE SSC-P7-C // 47's Quark 123˛ NW XP-G R4 // HDS Rotary R1S-200 + Lee Filter 206 quarter CT orange // 4Seven's Preon 2 highCRI SaTi // green Thrunite Ti

  13. #43

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatjanamagic View Post
    And simple fact that old XRE emitters are still king of throw weather in aspherical or reflector lights make me think that there are no and that will not be any more improvements in this category.

    So I would say that only xre flashlight are true and dedicated throwers so all of you who have newest emitters be sure that U don't have dedicated thrower unless U downgrade to old xre.
    Things have been moving along in the LED world. The XR-E is no longer the best choice for all throwing lights and is certainly not the most intense LED anymore. Currently the most intense LED is the XP-C Q4. It is the one I use in the DEFT-edc that whoops up on all the other P60 sized throwers. Now I'm using this same LED in the DEFT-edc LR which has an amazing 50% improvement over that! I don't recommend using the XP-C with larger lights as the spot size becomes too small in my opinion. But in a small light like the DEFT-edc LR it is unbeatable. Literally.




    Quote Originally Posted by Tatjanamagic View Post
    And I would like to add that lux readings are not telling U much about throwing ability of your flashlight.... So when you measure 60Klux/1m with reflector lights U must know that this will melt down at greater distances as hotspot is getting bigger so 800 lumen 7G5 XML led will have less throw than lets say 250 lumens solarforce masterpice xre light.
    Well you are right assuming the one taking the measurements does them at 1 meter. You can however measure from farther out and calculate back to 1 meter for accuracy that is close enough. I'm sure you knew that but thought I'd add that for the benefit of others who may be reading this. I'm happy to see you helping people realize that a lower lumen light can out-throw a higher lumen light. It is an all to common misconception.

  14. #44
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SINGAPORE, South East Asia
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatjanamagic View Post
    And I would like to add that lux readings are not telling U much about throwing ability of your flashlight.... So when you measure 60Klux/1m with reflector lights U must know that this will melt down at greater distances as hotspot is getting bigger so 800 lumen 7G5 XML led will have less throw than lets say 250 lumens solarforce masterpice xre light.
    Hey bro how are things? Got your Dereelight pill with better tint? I figured that i have a 1.5A one afterall and not the 1.2A....

    I have the 7G5 coming, i also have the Solarforce MPP-1 XR-E. I think they will be pretty close, meter readings and beamshots coming (long range ones at 400 over metres). But the Solarforce is a bit disadvantaged, coz the 7G5 has a 58mm class reflector. IIRC MPP-1 is 50mm.

  15. #45
    Flashaholic Tatjanamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Darkonia
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Hi Saabluster and 2100,

    Sabluster I knew about your xpc it looks same like green xpe I have at my home. But they are old school emitters that will have potential only if properly tuned by you and only in aspheric right?

    I just want to mention that xre r2 especially with ez900 die is the best choice for reflector throwers, and I personally would rather use that in aspheric instead of xpc because xpc has smaller die and larger hole that is bit annoying to me.

    2100 friend I would like to think that 800 lumen xml 7G5 would out throw 200 lm solarforce xre q4 MPP1 but that will not be the case in this story. And U can only imagine what would happen if mpp 1 have deerelight 1,5 amp ez 900 pill it would kill every led reflector thrower in a world.

    I figured out that best tint emitter for aspheric is WD.

    Deerelight's new r2 pill have ez 900 die running on 1,5 amp, Alan from deerelight and I measured on light meters distance 7 meters he got over 90 Klux and I got 80 klux results

    So improvements over old one that has 55-60 klux readings are obvious.

    I really don't get it how come that Saabluster did not took deerelight aspheric as a host because he would make unbeatable throwing beast
    with his knowledge.
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

  16. #46
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    130

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    I have the Olight SR90 , Olight SR 91 , The King of Thrower !!

  17. #47
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    621

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatjanamagic View Post
    I really don't get it how come that Saabluster did not took deerelight aspheric as a host because he would make unbeatable throwing beast [/FONT][/COLOR]with his knowledge.
    He has already built a large unbeatable throwing beast, search for the DEFT HO or DEFT FTP.
    I cannot pretend to feel impartial about tint colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.
    ~Sir Winston Churchill

  18. #48
    Flashaholic Tatjanamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Darkonia
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by JacobJones View Post
    He has already built a large unbeatable throwing beast, search for the DEFT HO or DEFT FTP.
    Of course he has Deft HO in a "heavyweight category"

    Also has deft edc in "light category" very cute light.

    But I think he could get extremely good results with deerelight aspherical host for his new category "middleweight "
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

  19. #49

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jthe5th View Post
    What UI do you prefer? Or you just follow the personal preference of the reviewer which a large number of flashlights?
    The light has memory though.
    What I consider useful is a momentary function and I prefer the strobe mode hidden.
    But what really annoys me is, with some other lights when you try to mode switch you have to flash the tail cap very quickly, so chances of a accidental mode switch is slim but the 7G5 mode switchs with slower flashing. This I find inconvenient.

    Another thing is, I did find the front and rear springs too short for unprotected Sanyo 2800mah 18650s. It actually switched to strobe and blinded me when I tried to tail stand it last night. A warning for me to go gentle I think. LOL

  20. #50

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by coolperl View Post
    Please ask this question in 7G5 review thread. This is not a proper thread.
    But to answer shortly, you can change the UI by changing the circuit board. With original board, you have to accept also original UI, as it is. However beeing a pure thrower and having a memory, 7G5 is not that hard to operate. Just leave it on "High" and enjoy your ~800lm and ~60K lux/1m.
    oops! sorry about getting carried away and thanks for the reminder.
    I guess changing the UI is out of my league. I have been EDCing this light to and from work in my bag for about a month now. I think I have forgotten about it being a thrower. ;P
    Thanks for your help anyway.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by yiyans View Post
    What I consider useful is a momentary function and I prefer the strobe mode hidden.
    But what really annoys me is, with some other lights when you try to mode switch you have to flash the tail cap very quickly, so chances of a accidental mode switch is slim but the 7G5 mode switchs with slower flashing. This I find inconvenient.

    Another thing is, I did find the front and rear springs too short for unprotected Sanyo 2800mah 18650s. It actually switched to strobe and blinded me when I tried to tail stand it last night. A warning for me to go gentle I think. LOL
    When have you bought the Crelant 7G5? you seem to have bought it some time ago. I didn't know about it until a week or so ago.
    Sanyo 2800 mAh are ultraflat-tops, they don't make good contact one with another.
    Last edited by Jthe5th; 11-14-2011 at 11:40 AM.

  22. #52

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by LGT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
    not at all bro, welcome to the sickness

    my catapult rocks too, get some AW cells and you will amazed how they perform. Don't forget your DMM either
    What is a DMM?
    YUP, Digital multi-meter to keep an eye on your cells, before, during and after use. the catapult won't shut down to protect the cells so you have to rely on the cell internal protection if you try and run it way down.

    anyone using rechargeable Li should have one and use it, especially if our not going with really high quality cells like AW.

    recharge early and recharge often

    Just a friendly reminder

  23. #53
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SINGAPORE, South East Asia
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Tat, thanks...will see if i can get the EZ900 1.5A WD pill (multi voltage and multi level this time round. 80k sounds yummy, can compare with the TK70 and see how, also to give confirmation to your numbers.

  24. #54
    Flashaholic Tatjanamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Darkonia
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    2100.it is great improvement over old rs so get yourself R2 1,5A WD and U will see. Throw goes well over 700 meters. While U can clearly percept object up to 350+ meters...

    Also if someone has reflector DBS buy this upgrade for killer throw.

    Only DEFT HO (and other costum) can outthrow this fantastic dbs aspheric...

    TK70 is not comparable with that it kills everything in throw except deft.
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

  25. #55
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA
    Posts
    2,470

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by Tatjanamagic View Post
    ...
    And I would like to add that lux readings are not telling U much about throwing ability of your flashlight.... So when you measure 60Klux/1m with reflector lights U must know that this will melt down at greater distances as hotspot is getting bigger so 800 lumen 7G5 XML led will have less throw than lets say 250 lumens solarforce masterpice xre light.
    That's not accurate. I agree with the first part of your post (which I didn't include) and I agree with the last part when you start talking about lumens however lumens has nothing to do with throw but lux does.

    If you mean that 60k lux/1m needs to actually be measure more at 10 m and then converted back to 1 meter then I agree. But the hotspot melting away is irrelevant as long as the 60k/1meter number is correct. The inverse square law of light works regardless of beam size.

  26. #56
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SINGAPORE, South East Asia
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    There is one thing that is perculiar to aspherics....and that is uniformity of the lux across the die. The ez900 seems to be slightly better. Admittedly, quite large portions of the EZ1000 DBS aspheric is getting like 50k only. Seriously it is not visually outthrowing my Sunwayman T40CS by a whole lot (and the Fandyfire STL-V6 at that).

  27. #57

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by Jthe5th View Post
    When have you bought the Crelant 7G5? you seem to have bought it some time ago. I didn't know about it until a week or so ago.
    Sanyo 2800 mAh are ultraflat-tops, they don't make good contact one with another.
    Not long. It was first released in China in July (on the 5th I think) and has been talked about for a bit. I only got mine last month from a local dealer in Taiwan. Coolpearl's info on 7G5 is the only one I can find online outside Asia.
    Here is a link to the Chinese site if you are interested in seeing some nice closeups and beam shots of the light.
    http://www.shoudian.com/viewthread.p...&highlight=7G5

    Quote Originally Posted by Jthe5th View Post
    Sanyo 2800 mAh are ultraflat-tops, they don't make good contact one with another.
    I am new to flash lights (hence the excitement of EDC a 7G5) so it may be the Sanyo I have to blame....something learnt. Thanks
    Two stronger and longer springs would sure help with the battery contact, wouldn't they?

  28. #58
    Flashaholic Tatjanamagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Darkonia
    Posts
    481

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    That's not accurate. I agree with the first part of your post (which I didn't include) and I agree with the last part when you start talking about lumens however lumens has nothing to do with throw but lux does.

    If you mean that 60k lux/1m needs to actually be measure more at 10 m and then converted back to 1 meter then I agree. But the hotspot melting away is irrelevant as long as the 60k/1meter number is correct. The inverse square law of light works regardless of beam size.
    Yes I think lux readings should be taken at larger distances.

    About size of hotspot. I don't know about inverse square law of lights. But for me hotspot size does have difference.I will give U example of flashlight I own:

    Microfire Warrior 3500 HID(lux readings about 60k lux/1m) vs Deerelight aspheric(50K lux readings) running on old 1,2 amp pill

    Winner is deerelight aspheric and it throws, a lot smaller and brighter hotspot than microfire.


    This is just one example. We have also tested all sorts of thrower lights(some were budget some were expensive stuff) with sst 50, sst 90, xml can not reach as much as the throw of small r2 die.

    Their hot spot simply melts down on grater distances while tight hotspot of r2 emitter throws further.

    So I can tell for me only law that matters is my eyes they don't lie unless I drink whole keg of beer

    Saabluster recently find out that only emitter brighter than xre r2 is xpc q4 but I want to tell him that R2 ez900 die is better choice than xpc, and it will last longer.

    Maybe I am wrong but that is my opinion since I am in a endless search for practical gun mountable thrower lights and have tried tons of lights...

    And one thing that I wanted say especially to 2100 friend that light pollution in cities or towns has big influence on vision perception, and I have to say that throw abilities of certain flashlights need to be tested in nature that has not got any light pollution.

    Here at my place nights are very dark(except moonlight), U don't actually see finger in front your nose, so while I'm watching some of night shoots by CPF members they look like they were taken at evening conditions same as I have at my place...
    Last edited by Tatjanamagic; 11-15-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

  29. #59

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Tatjanamagic. I am interested in what you find as your favorite weapons mounted light. Also, what weapon you intend to put it on.

    I have several single 18650 lights I could mount on my favorite AR15 but I decided to mount my Jetbeam BC40. It doesn't throw as far as my Olight M3X but it's smaller and lighter. It also puts out more side spill while still giving me plenty of light out to 200+ yards which is probably more distance than I will be using it for unless I mount a different scope on the rifle. Now I am using it with an Aimpoint Comp M3 which isn't magnified and I don't really need more than 200 yards or so because my eyes are not good enough at longer distances without magnification.

  30. #60

    Default Re: Dedicated throwers

    Quote Originally Posted by yiyans View Post
    I am new to flash lights (hence the excitement of EDC a 7G5) so it may be the Sanyo I have to blame....something learnt. Thanks
    Two stronger and longer springs would sure help with the battery contact, wouldn't they?
    That sure would help, especially in this case.
    You could also solder some very small blobs on each cell on the top, so that the contact is assured with another flat surface. Then maybe you wouldn't have to change the springs, because this might happen with another flashlight too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •