Ladybug crawling on my chest.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Had to share . . .

Just a few minutes ago, I was looking through my collection of lights to pick out good choices for the annual CPF Christmas Giveaway currently going on. I had hopped out of the shower right before doing so. I'm just finishing up putting everything away after making my selection of what to donate. And then I feel a little gentle brushing on my chest. (I was shirtless, and I do have plenty of chest hair.)

So I look down, and I see this bug crawling on my chest. I was about to get angry as Hell, when I realized it was just a ladybug. Now I know she didn't land on my chest. I would have noticed her flying about. That means she must have come in from somewhere, and decided to go mountain climbing. :)

In many cultures, having a ladybug visit you is a sign of good luck or good fortune that you can look forward to. It's even stronger if one visits you while you're engaged in a self-less act or act of kindness.

The ladybug was carefully removed from my manly chest. :D
And carefully deposited outside. It was also the 2nd one that came into my room. The first was also carefully deposited outside. Come to think of it, it might have been the same one coming back hours later.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw four ladybugs today. Unfortunately, the one I was hoping to see in cut-off jeans shorts was all covered up! :(

The other three were actual ladybugs, which is highly unusual this time of year. Must've been the sudden indian summer. Beautiful day!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Funny how we like ladybugs but typically not other beetles.

I typically hate insects. Exceptions for butterflies and ladybugs because they have a different mentality. Sounds odd, but true.

Go near a cockroach, and watch him scurry away. Go near a ladybug, and they let you pick them up. They know they haven't done anything wrong to deserve getting killed. So they don't try to run. Heck, they don't even fly away. Cockroaches have guilty consciences. They know they've been up to no good. We know it too. That's why they run from us.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I saw four ladybugs today. Unfortunately, the one I was hoping to see in cut-off jeans shorts was all covered up! :(

The other three were actual ladybugs, which is highly unusual this time of year. Must've been the sudden indian summer. Beautiful day!

It's odd, but they only stop by my room during the Winter. I never see one, even outside, in the Summer.

Imon

Enlightened
I typically hate insects. Exceptions for butterflies and ladybugs because they have a different mentality. Sounds odd, but true.

Go near a cockroach, and watch him scurry away. Go near a ladybug, and they let you pick them up. They know they haven't done anything wrong to deserve getting killed. So they don't try to run. Heck, they don't even fly away. Cockroaches have guilty consciences. They know they've been up to no good. We know it too. That's why they run from us.

Insect psychology!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup!

Don't ever let anyone tell you they're brainless creatures.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
In many cultures, having a ladybug visit you is a sign of good luck or good fortune that you can look forward to. It's even stronger if one visits you while you're engaged in a self-less act or act of kindness.

:)

-C

DM51

Flashaholic
Dave, I hope that's not just a bedbug with a skirt on, lol.

Your thread prompted me to go and take a photo of a cluster of Ladybugs on the wall above the curtain in our bathroom. There seem to be different colors and patterns to them. I don't know much about them - are they different species?

LadyBugs.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Your thread prompted me to go and take a photo of a cluster of Ladybugs on the wall above the curtain in our bathroom. There seem to be different colors and patterns to them. I don't know much about them - are they different species?

Must admit, I've never seen the black with red spots before. I believe the rest are the same species. Black spots on all of them, but the shells perhaps don't always develop that rich red color. The black shell with red spots variety might be the same as well.

No need to worry about ladybugs being dressed up bed bugs. A decade ago, I inherited an old bed that a still living close relative decided not to use anymore. Turned out it was crawling with a few bed bugs. Tiny things, sometimes hard to notice when they hang out between the mattresses. Woke up every morning with a few new red welts on my body. It was embarrassing going to work like that. Co-workers were definitely uncomfortable with what ended up looking like a spotty, blotchy, rash. I'll admit I was very happy when we discovered what the problem was. Thankfully the bugs didn't spread to any other piece of furniture. Apparently bed bugs hate old flesh as the elderly relative I got the bed from never had any issues.

I did find a ladybug sitting on top of my bed once. She had been flying around my light fixture for at least an hour. Poor thing must have been just tired out. Ladybugs don't bite, and they have no interest in human flesh or blood. Another reason I like them.

BTW, your collection of ladybugs is nearly as impressive as your collection of lights. I'm so jealous on both ends.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did find a ladybug sitting on top of my bed once. She had been flying around my light fixture for at least an hour. Poor thing must have been just tired out. Ladybugs don't bite, and they have no interest in human flesh or blood. Another reason I like them.

There are like 5 dead ladybugs on my dorm's common area's lamp (on the ccfl). They must be attracted to that sort of light for reason, maybe the UV Light? I'm on the 13th floor, but the window is often open. still boggles the mind that they fly up so high.

-C

richpalm

Banned

LadyBugs.jpg

Ladybugs look for warm attics and inside places to overwinter. Whatever you do, don't destroy them!! They are extremely beneficial for gardening and consume pest insects.

So if you're a gardener, great! I'd love to have a colony here.

Rich

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There are like 5 dead ladybugs on my dorm's common area's lamp (on the ccfl). They must be attracted to that sort of light for reason, maybe the UV Light? I'm on the 13th floor, but the window is often open. still boggles the mind that they fly up so high.

-C

The main lamp in my room was out for a few days. The very day I replaced it, there they were. 75watt traditional inca. bulb.

Honestly, I'm thinking it might be the same one that keeps coming back. Same coloring on the shell, only seeing them one at a time, and hours apart. I am starting to think it might honestly be the same one.

It is rather sad that they love lights so much that they get too close to them . . .

TomH

Newly Enlightened

Praying Manti are pretty cool too. They won't scurry away from you, and I've even had some try to "challenge" me for what I can only assume to be me invading their space.