Night trekking with McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI **PHOTO Intensive**

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
**EDIT - Exactly one month before 17th May 2013, James was diagnosed with liver cancer. He put up a good fight but unfortunately the cancer cells won the fight. He has since left this world on 17th May 2013. May he rest in peace and God bless his soul.

Rest In Peace CPF member tankahn**

The thread in this link is dedicated to James

Hi guys,

I am back again doing another series of night trekking photos with my newly acquired McGizmo lights in almost the same fashion as the one I did the last time on HDS lights. Refer link.

Unfortunately, my macro lens was "confiscated" by my wife so I am unable to do more close-up macro shots of insects and flowers. I ended up doing simple photos of grasses and leaves and I hope that this is enough for you outdoor folks.

And again, here with me on the trip to the island northeast of Singapore is my good friend James. Seen here admiring the scenery before him, and a shot showing the general colors of the island foliage in the day. Just greens and browns, nothing extraordinary from a tropical country.

AP1_1807.jpg

AP1_1763.jpg

In this trip we decided to bring along only our high CRI, neutral white and warm white lights. Even though we have an arsenal of such lights combined, for this thread I have chosen only to portray mainly beam shots of the high CRI Haiku and Mule made by McGizmo. I did however do a comparison of the high CRI Haiku to the HDS 100 high CRI clicky and Zebralight SC51c high CRI. I apologize for not including the other neutral and warm lights in the comparison here.

Here are the lights we brought along on the trip,

Top L to R: HDS 100 high CRI with 17670 tube, HDS 100 high CRI with standard 123 tube, Solarforce (belongs to James and I have no further details on this), McGizmo Haiku high CRI, McGizmo Mule high CRI, Zebralight SC51c high CRI, Quark warm white Turbo 123, Surefire 6P with Malkoff M61w (4000K version).

Bottom L to R: Zebralight H51Fc, neutral white Quark X AA2 Tactical, Zebralight H60w, Zebralight H51Fw.

AP1_3074.jpg

I apologize that I had forgotten and missed out my Malkoff MD2 with an M61HCRI emitter on this trip for the comparison.

For now I will start with a comparison of the Haiku high CRI (Nichia 119T) against HDS high CRI clicky (SSC P4) and Zebralight SC51c high CRI (Philips LUXEON Rebel). IMHO, I find that McGizmo Haiku with a Nichia 119T high CRI emitter produces the most neutral color reproduction amongst all three lights. The SSC P4 in my HDS clicky tend towards a slightly warm and rosy color reproduction whereas Zebralight SC51c has a very slight yellow/green tinge to it, but in actual use the yellow/green tint in the SC51c is not noticeable. In fact, I love all three high CRI lights very much. Without saying, they appear slightly dimmer than all the neutral white lights due to a lack of efficiency that is expected of any high CRI emitters, but they more or less compensated back by bringing me the nicest color reproduction amongst all my neutral and warm tinted lights (do note that I am not comparing color reproduction to cool white lights here).

AP1_2985.jpg

AP1_2995.jpg

AP1_2996.jpg

Below: Beam shots for McGizmo Haiku high CRI

Spot beam pointing towards the bush in the background with spill beam illuminating the sign.
AP1_3000.jpg

With Surefire F04 diffuser (tree about 20 meters away)
AP1_3017.jpg

Without Surefire F04 diffuser
AP1_3019.jpg

As you can see, due to the very small die size of the Nichia 119T emitter, there isn't really much of a flood, but it is enough for general illumination.
AP1_3037.jpg

This is James about 30 meters away being illuminated by the spot beam of the Haiku high CRI.
AP1_3038.jpg

Close-up shot of the Haiku high CRI with a Surefire F04 diffuser.
AP1_3013.jpg

Below: Beam shot of the McGizmo Mule high CRI

Due to the lack of a reflector in the Mule, what you will get is a wall of superb smooth flood without hotspot. This photo below serves to show you how much flood coverage one gets out of the Mule. Suffice to say, the Mule is not made for throw. As you can see, the flood covers almost an approximate 160 degree angle from the ground to the top of the low hanging trees. The camera isn't able to capture the full range of dynamics but the Mule is capable of illuminating slightly further than what you see in this photo here. I can clearly make out details up to about 15 meters on a dark scene like this without any other light pollution other than the moon.
AP1_3009.jpg

See how the Mule illuminate these two leaves without a need for any diffuser?
AP1_3005.jpg

Smooth illumination on the ground before me.
AP1_3016.jpg

James was holding on to the Mule while I took this shot showing the spider camouflaged against the tree. I wouldn't have been able to spot this spider if I were using a cool white light because the colors would be too flat to see much of a detail.
AP1_3030.jpg

Close-up of the spider with a tiny ladybug about a millimeter small near it's hind leg. See how smooth the beam is?
AP1_3028.jpg

The smooth and rather neutral tint of the Mule high CRI makes it a very nice light for use on specific tasks such as close-up photography. James was helping me hold on to the Mule as I needed some side illumination for this shot.
AP1_3035.jpg

And my traditional shot of our barbecue before we retire to sleep.
AP1_3049.jpg

Below: Beam shots showing the difference between the Haiku high CRI and the Mule high CRI. Both using Nichia 119T high CRI emitters.

McGizmo Haiku high CRI
AP1_3045.jpg

McGizmo Mule high CRI
AP1_3040.jpg

Conclusion

When I bought both McGizmo Haiku and Mule high CRI, I wasn't sure how they would perform in my frequent trekking and camping trips. As these photos show, they did extremely well and I am amazed at how well they show off colors in the jungle without much of a color tint. Yes, they are warmer than your average cool white light for sure, but they are somewhere in the ballpark of about 4500K to 4700K I would say.

Since the Mule is a purpose-built light without a reflector, I have to say that I was kind of wondering what other uses I could put it through other than close-up photography like what you see here, but I am happy to know that the Mule with an ultra smooth beam pattern and without a hot spot is real nice to use even when trekking as it illuminates a very wide area. Most of the time my hands are stationary and I have no need to swing the Mule around because there is no need to do so as it just seems to light up in almost any direction that I am facing.

Throughout the trek, I alternate between the Mule and the Haiku, and while the Mule is a nice flood light, the Haiku gives a nice and decent low level throw which is more than enough for 90+ percent of what I need my lights to do on such a trip. I had brought along the Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61w for the extra punch but I hardly use it on this trip (I deliberately left my Surefire UB3T behind on this trip). I am delighted to know that the entire trip was powered mainly by the McGizmos which is capable of handling any illumination needs that I would want.

I was also amazed that a single AW 16340 is able to provide enough juice to power any of the McGizmo without a need to swap out the battery until much later before we go to sleep at 4 am in the morning. I believe it is due to the lower draw current that McGizmo has programmed into the 3S circuit of the high CRI units, can't remember the exact figure but I think it's either 500 or 550 mAh.

Overall, I am way impressed by these high CRI lights and I am happy that I bit the bullet and bought them, that too includes the Haiku XM-L cool white which I am EDCing daily.

That's it, I hope you guys enjoy the beam shots as well as reading through my experiences with the McGizmos.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved the last night trekking thread and this new one definitely doesn't disappoint. Thank you very much for sharing!

davyro

Enlightened
Its great to see how your McGizmo's lit up your walk,in fantastic tints i might add.I bet your really pleased with them.
Thanks for sharing these photos with us.:)

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand how a person can look at your photo's and still think cool is better for general use. Gorgeous pictures.

nutcracker

Newly Enlightened
This thread is as great as your HDS highCRI thread from 2010.
Now I really want a McGizmo Mule highCri but they are too expensive.

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't understand how a person can look at your photo's and still think cool is better for general use. Gorgeous pictures.

Because warm is not the same as high CRI. High CRI, in my experience, has a much greater effect than simply a tint.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Awesome photos and post sir! I too, really enjoyed the last one you did with the HDS, and this one is superb as well. Looks like I'll be saving my pennies for a McGizmo high CRI light now. I've wanted one for a long time anyway, but your post just sealed the deal for me! Thanks again for your time in sharing your trip!

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks for taking the time to share these! Very nice pictures indeed. Prettier pictures yes, but the eyes are the ultimate judge. I'll take my High-cri Haiku and Sundrop out in the woods for the improvement in color rendition, and, to me, improved depth perception. :)

Scubie67

Enlightened
Very nice pictures...gives good comparisons of the different tints between the 51c and the HI-CRI's

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because warm is not the same as high CRI. High CRI, in my experience, has a much greater effect than simply a tint.
While not the same, from my understanding current technology has resulted in warm and high CRI being highly correlated (except for the special Nichia emitters used in the McGizmo lights in this thread).

Pjandyho,
Great pictures. I'd love to see a high CRI XPG comparison as well. What are your thoughts on the differences in the HDS High CRI vs. McGizmos using the Nichia emitter in real world usage? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but it seems the Nichia is one of a kind with HighCRI at that color temp.

nbp

Flashaholic
Andy, excellent work my friend. :)

This is a fantastic resource for those interested in these types of emitters as well as demonstrating beam patterns of the Haiku and Mule. They are outstanding lights, and make up my EDC combo too, as you know. Thanks for your work in putting this all together, and I'm very glad that you are enjoying your McGizmos. :thumbsup:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
calipsoii, davyro, brasso, HIDblue, scubie67, S1LVA thank you guys for the kind words.

nutcracker, if you can just get one. You won't regret it.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time to share these! Very nice pictures indeed. Prettier pictures yes, but the eyes are the ultimate judge. I'll take my High-cri Haiku and Sundrop out in the woods for the improvement in color rendition, and, to me, improved depth perception. :)
I think once you have tried the McGizmo high CRI lights in the woods, you wouldn't want anything else, unless of course the need for much more powerful cool white lights which I hardly have a need for.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pjandyho,
Great pictures. I'd love to see a high CRI XPG comparison as well. What are your thoughts on the differences in the HDS High CRI vs. McGizmos using the Nichia emitter in real world usage? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but it seems the Nichia is one of a kind with HighCRI at that color temp.
Thanks TyJo. The only sample of high CRI XP-G that I have is in the Malkoff MD2 with M61HCRI drop-in available exclusively at Illumination Supply. It runs much brighter than any of my high CRI lights but the main drawback is a rather warmish tint. It's nice and resembles campfire in tint, but I find that it doesn't really reproduce colors as well as any of the other high CRI lights you see here in my comparison photos. I would love to add that to my next trip so that viewers here could decide for themselves what their preferred tint is. The only problem is that since the XP-G drop-in runs a lot brighter than the rest of the high CRI here, I am not sure how I could execute these shots using the same camera settings and yet maintain accurate color rendition without blowing out the highlights.

As for the HDS high CRI, I can only say that it is a wonderful light and I love it very much. Yes, it is warmer in tint compared to the Haiku, but color reproduction is still superb based on my unprofessional eyeballing. Even though the HDS is warmer in tint compared to the Haiku, it is still cooler compared to the Malkoff high CRI. Without a side by side comparison with the Haiku, HDS just looks nice and neutral in actual use. The tint from the SSC P4 does render a very comforting feel to the overall beam. Not too cool, not too warm, but it does suffer when accurate color rendition is called for in photography because cameras still have it's limitation in capturing the full tonal and shadow reproduction that our eyes are capable of capturing. Photography IMHO is where the Nichia 119T emitters really excel in.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy, excellent work my friend. :)

This is a fantastic resource for those interested in these types of emitters as well as demonstrating beam patterns of the Haiku and Mule. They are outstanding lights, and make up my EDC combo too, as you know. Thanks for your work in putting this all together, and I'm very glad that you are enjoying your McGizmos. :thumbsup:
And once more, I have to thank you for leading me into the world of McGizmo. Now I wonder why did I ever waited so many years to get into it and missed out on great lights like the PD-S and LS27. Would love to post a WTB for these in CPFMP but my wallet may not be as deep as I had hoped for.

jiuong

Newly Enlightened
Andy Bro,

How I wish That I can accompany you on your trip. Excellent photos as usual, and heck now you make me wanna get the mule...