Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4

Thread: First lithium ion POOF!

Flashaholic

Sick2 First lithium ion POOF!

I was charging a battery pack for my camcorder (2X17360) and I heard hissing, and saw a bit of smoke. As fast as I could I grabbed the pack off the camcorder (really easy to remove) fearing the impending I tossed it outside, I am waiting for it to finish venting before I go inspect it! The cells were Toshiba if I remember, and tomorrow I will try and get some pics up of the whole thing!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: First lithium ion POOF!

Thanks for posting. I've always wondered if or how often it happens. My main concern would be the 2x....I don't trust connected batteries. Also wonder if the batteries/charger had protection algorithms.

I'd suggest notifying the battery and camera manufacturer. It is possible this might occur with other owners. And the manufacturers can investigate the problem, and perhaps design a future solution.
    Wish: 1) Super low beacon; easy find flashlight. 2) Low voltage indicator, so not stranded without light. 3) Simple, one handed control ring mode changer (magnetic control ring). 4) Flood beam for walking/tasks. 5) Pocket carry. 6) LiFePO4.

Flashaholic

Default Re: First lithium ion POOF!

It's actually a discontinued one, I believe the protection circuit failed, only 1 cell is actually bad, the other one is OK. Needless to say, I'm just going to buy a new battery for it, or mod this one to use AA! Both cells look OK on the outside, the one that vented doesn't really show anything where the vents are.