First lithium ion POOF!

RCM

Enlightened
I was charging a battery pack for my camcorder (2X17360) and I heard hissing, and saw a bit of smoke. As fast as I could I grabbed the pack off the camcorder (really easy to remove) fearing the impending :poof: I tossed it outside, I am waiting for it to finish venting before I go inspect it! The cells were Toshiba if I remember, and tomorrow I will try and get some pics up of the whole thing!

snakyjake

Enlightened
Thanks for posting. I've always wondered if or how often it happens. My main concern would be the 2x....I don't trust connected batteries. Also wonder if the batteries/charger had protection algorithms.

I'd suggest notifying the battery and camera manufacturer. It is possible this might occur with other owners. And the manufacturers can investigate the problem, and perhaps design a future solution.

RCM

Enlightened
It's actually a discontinued one, I believe the protection circuit failed, only 1 cell is actually bad, the other one is OK. Needless to say, I'm just going to buy a new battery for it, or mod this one to use AA! Both cells look OK on the outside, the one that vented doesn't really show anything where the vents are.