Phoenix Electroforms

View Poll Results: Haiku. Which Battery Do You Use?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unprotected R123

0 0%
  • Protected R123

36 52.17%
  • Rechargable IMR

8 11.59%
  • Primary - SureFire

14 20.29%
  • Primary - Other

11 15.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haiku Batteries. Which Do You Use? Primaries or Rechargables?

Default Haiku Batteries. Which Do You Use? Primaries or Rechargables?

Okay everyone,
    I just purchased my first McGizmo (Haiku 3v), and obviously I am psyched. While I have read a couple of threads on this forum regarding the usability of protected R123s I have not seen anything really indicating which type of battery most people use. Please vote, and let me know your preferences. Thanks.

Default Re: Haiku Batteries. Which Do You Use? Primaries or Rechargables?

AW's RCR's for the most part, though I do keep a stash of SF primaries at work and in my truck. A cottonpicker's USB charger lives at work, too. There are days I burn through an RCR at work and switch to a primary while the RCR recharges. Welcome, by the way. Nothing like starting with perhaps the best EDC light out there! Be careful, McGizmos are like those potato chips, betcha can't stop at one...
    Last edited by scout24; 11-10-2011 at 05:39 PM.

I use mainly AW's black top Protected rechargeable cells. SF primaries for backup. Guilt free lumens..
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

AW Black Protected RCR with Surefire / Energizer Primary backup.

I wouldn't consider unprotected RCR.

Use protected AW 16340 for guilt-free lumens and a peace of mind.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Thank you to everyone for the replies and insight. Can anyone tell me where the best place is to buy the AW blacks and a Pila or other quality charger? Thanks.

Haiku I bought thinking it would be my last purchase but then a HDS came in the mail and then Mac put out a new light.
    I use Batteryjunction's 123 primary's but have a couple rcr's on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezeno View Post
    Thank you to everyone for the replies and insight. Can anyone tell me where the best place is to buy the AW blacks and a Pila or other quality charger? Thanks.
    You can order AW batteries directly from AW himself.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...read-*Part-12*
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!

im afraid to use rcr123s since the haiku doesnt have a over discharge protection circuit.

Shooter- I routinely run AW's protected RCR's down until my Haiku shuts off, with no ill effects to my Haiku's or the cells. Same half dozen cells in use for two years plus now, most in a regular Haiku XP-G, but ran them right down to shutoff in my Warm and High- CRI also. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Shooter- I routinely run AW's protected RCR's down until my Haiku shuts off, with no ill effects to my Haiku's or the cells. Same half dozen cells in use for two years plus now, most in a regular Haiku XP-G, but ran them right down to shutoff in my Warm and High- CRI also. No worries.
    What voltage do you have left on your black-label AW RCR123's at "shutoff"?
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Ditto to that - the "run to shut off" and the "two years" parts....I also have a bunch of AW IMR16340 cells, but they don't have quite the run time of the AW black cells. I try to rotate them all, but in my laziness I'm usually rotating back and forth between just a few.

Last time I measured that they were at around 2.95V

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    What voltage do you have left on your black-label AW RCR123's at "shutoff"?

I ran two black labels down to shutoff on high last night, one in Haiku XP-G and one in Haiku High CRI. After a five minute rest, they were at 3.35 and 3.37 respectively. Dan's numbers are consistent with "hot" shutoff or read as soon as the light goes out, IMHO.

I ran two black labels down to shutoff on high last night, one in Haiku XP-G and one in Haiku High CRI. After a five minute rest, they were at 3.35 and 3.37 respectively. Dan's numbers are consistent with "hot" shutoff or read as soon as the light goes out, IMHO.
    I get about the same reading as you except one particular piece which keep shutting down at around 3.5v. Is it an indication that the battery is running old?

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    Last time I measured that they were at around 2.95V
    Thanks, that is useful information!
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Andy- May be just a variance in the protection circuit in the cells? Not sure, maybe AW could help. Mine are all well used, with hundreds of cycles on them. I haven't measured all of them, mine were just two random ones already in my lights. No noticeable drop in runtime, etc...

Thanks. Maybe I will check with AW, perhaps do a runtime test comparing all the batteries.

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

Interesting info. I ran my mule last night until it shut off. I measure it at 3.5 on my volt checker.the Mule would turn back on with another click but went off again very quickly. . . I would have thought it to get a little lower before shutoff. Could just be the meter I'm using to check with too. . . My Haiku is on its way, so I wll check it after I've played with it a bit.
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

My Haiku is 6 volt meaning it has twice the run time of a 3 volt Haiku with identical drive settings. A pair of Streamlight primaries lasts for about a month.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

Enlightened

I'm kind of a noob too. Would you guys recommend AW 16340's for my 3v Sundrop?

Quote Originally Posted by benzz View Post
    I'm kind of a noob too. Would you guys recommend AW 16340's for my 3v Sundrop?
    Definitely.

Enlightened

Awesome, thanks pjandyho. Is there a charger that is capable of charging 16340's and 18650's?
    Last edited by benzz; 11-17-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Awesome, thanks pjandyho. Is there a charger that is capable of charging 16340's and 18650's?
    You might like the selectable output charger that our own Cottonpickers is selling in the Marketplace. They're really compact and have a real-time display showing the voltage with a switch next to it so you can select which output level you want.

Hopefully in the next couple days I'll be able to check out my Haiku with a couple different cells in it!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

You can also look at 4Sevens or Pila IBC charger. Personally I am using Ultrafire WF-139 for the last 4 years and it have been very reliable. I also bought a 4Sevens charger when I bought the Maelstrom S12 and 26650 batteries. So these two charger combined will allow me to charge up 3 batteries at one go.

I've been using primaries. The first cell lasted like 3 mos. of EDC before it locked up in High mode to tell me it was dying. So I don't feel too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I've been using primaries. The first cell lasted like 3 mos. of EDC before it locked up in High mode to tell me it was dying. So I don't feel too bad.
    After it lock up on high, did you change your battery or did you continue to run it down? The circuitry for McGizmo is so different. With other lights it just go dimmer and not let you access high. With McGizmo lights it just locks on high and not go low. I haven't tried running it all the way down so was wondering does it maintain high until it dies suddenly, or does it step down slowly until the battery could not provide the juice to power it?

I changed it after that since I was keen on having a low mode. I don't really know what happens if you just keep running it. Sorry bro.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I changed it after that since I was keen on having a low mode. I don't really know what happens if you just keep running it. Sorry bro.
    I tried with a surefire that locked on high I ran it down, it starts to flicker and flickers......for a long time.........lol lots of time........then once the flicker stops it eventually will only turn on at the instant you press in the switch until you hit the point it becomes a dead rock

Quote Originally Posted by Minicoop831 View Post
    I tried with a surefire that locked on high I ran it down, it starts to flicker and flickers......for a long time.........lol lots of time........then once the flicker stops it eventually will only turn on at the instant you press in the switch until you hit the point it becomes a dead rock
    Thanks for the reply. I still have a depleted CR123 left over and I will put it in the Haiku XM-L and try running it down just for the fun of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast