• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku Batteries. Which Do You Use? Primaries or Rechargables?

Mezeno

Newly Enlightened
Okay everyone,
I just purchased my first McGizmo (Haiku 3v), and obviously I am psyched.:thumbsup: While I have read a couple of threads on this forum regarding the usability of protected R123s I have not seen anything really indicating which type of battery most people use. Please vote, and let me know your preferences. Thanks.

scout24

Flashaholic
AW's RCR's for the most part, though I do keep a stash of SF primaries at work and in my truck. A cottonpicker's USB charger lives at work, too. :) There are days I burn through an RCR at work and switch to a primary while the RCR recharges. Welcome, by the way. Nothing like starting with perhaps the best EDC light out there! Be careful, McGizmos are like those potato chips, betcha can't stop at one...

Last edited:

Mezeno

Newly Enlightened
Thank you to everyone for the replies and insight. Can anyone tell me where the best place is to buy the AW blacks and a Pila or other quality charger? Thanks.

CMAG

Enlightened
Haiku I bought thinking it would be my last purchase but then a HDS came in the mail and then Mac put out a new light.
I use Batteryjunction's 123 primary's but have a couple rcr's on the way.

scout24

Flashaholic
Shooter- I routinely run AW's protected RCR's down until my Haiku shuts off, with no ill effects to my Haiku's or the cells. Same half dozen cells in use for two years plus now, most in a regular Haiku XP-G, but ran them right down to shutoff in my Warm and High- CRI also. :) No worries.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Shooter- I routinely run AW's protected RCR's down until my Haiku shuts off, with no ill effects to my Haiku's or the cells. Same half dozen cells in use for two years plus now, most in a regular Haiku XP-G, but ran them right down to shutoff in my Warm and High- CRI also. :) No worries.

What voltage do you have left on your black-label AW RCR123's at "shutoff"?

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ditto to that - the "run to shut off" and the "two years" parts....I also have a bunch of AW IMR16340 cells, but they don't have quite the run time of the AW black cells. I try to rotate them all, but in my laziness I'm usually rotating back and forth between just a few.

scout24

Flashaholic
I ran two black labels down to shutoff on high last night, one in Haiku XP-G and one in Haiku High CRI. After a five minute rest, they were at 3.35 and 3.37 respectively. Dan's numbers are consistent with "hot" shutoff or read as soon as the light goes out, IMHO.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran two black labels down to shutoff on high last night, one in Haiku XP-G and one in Haiku High CRI. After a five minute rest, they were at 3.35 and 3.37 respectively. Dan's numbers are consistent with "hot" shutoff or read as soon as the light goes out, IMHO.
I get about the same reading as you except one particular piece which keep shutting down at around 3.5v. Is it an indication that the battery is running old?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last time I measured that they were at around 2.95V

Thanks, that is useful information!

scout24

Flashaholic
Andy- May be just a variance in the protection circuit in the cells? Not sure, maybe AW could help. Mine are all well used, with hundreds of cycles on them. I haven't measured all of them, mine were just two random ones already in my lights. No noticeable drop in runtime, etc...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Maybe I will check with AW, perhaps do a runtime test comparing all the batteries.

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Interesting info. I ran my mule last night until it shut off. I measure it at 3.5 on my volt checker.the Mule would turn back on with another click but went off again very quickly. . . I would have thought it to get a little lower before shutoff. Could just be the meter I'm using to check with too. . . My Haiku is on its way, so I wll check it after I've played with it a bit.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
My Haiku is 6 volt meaning it has twice the run time of a 3 volt Haiku with identical drive settings. A pair of Streamlight primaries lasts for about a month.

Latest posts