ArmyTek        

View Poll Results: Haiku. Which Battery Do You Use?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unprotected R123

1 1.11%
  • Protected R123

46 51.11%
  • Rechargable IMR

12 13.33%
  • Primary - SureFire

18 20.00%
  • Primary - Other

13 14.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haiku Batteries. Which Do You Use? Primaries or Rechargables?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Haiku Batteries. Which Do You Use? Primaries or Rechargables?

[QUOTE][/ After all, the primary will give you nearly twice as much runtime compared to a RCR123 rechargeable.QUOTE]
    Really ......... learn something new all the time.
    I always thought the reason for running RCR was for less expensive in the long run and more power...........
    but more power doesnt mean more run time ?

Default Haiku Batteries. Which Do You Use? Primaries or Rechargables?

I may be wrong here. I think to calculate theoretical run times ( actual will probably be different, I think) you divide the number of mah you are running, into the total mah of the battery. Ie. haiku XML on high is 650 mah. So 1400/650= ~2.15 hours of run time on a primary.

700/650= ~1.07 hours with a 700mah rechargeable.

I might be totally off here, but that's the way I understood it. Lol.

Flashaholic

This news is kind of disappointing ........... I never would of bought the RCR,s if I,d known I was losing run time.
    I suppose .........all in all you just have to change batts more often ......LOL
    Question ...........why do some lights run brighter on RCR,s ?
    Just when I thought I was starting to understand stuff ..........LOL

I am no expert here so somebody correct me if I am wrong. From my understanding, there are 3 types of converter boards here. 1) Buck (cut down power), 2) Boost (boost up power), and 3) Buck/Boost (cut down or boost up depending on total voltage). And of course there is direct drive, no regulation and usually start off brighter but dwindling in output as the battery weakens. Some lights run brighter on RCR because it uses a boost circuitry to boost up the power but at the expense of runtime.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by GSDnPWC View Post
    I may be wrong here. I think to calculate theoretical run times ( actual will probably be different, I think) you divide the number of mah you are running, into the total mah of the battery. Ie. haiku XML on high is 650 mah. So 1400/650= ~2.15 hours of run time on a primary.

700/650= ~1.07 hours with a 700mah rechargeable.

I might be totally off here, but that's the way I understood it. Lol.
    That is also my understanding how it is calculated to give you a ROUGH indication.

Primary, RCR123 and IMR16340 uses different chemistries to produce electricity. Inherent to the chemistry, they have different continuous and pulse discharge rates. Some will handle very amperage discharge and some will have more juice stored in them.

A battery with 1500mA if drawn at 1.5amps is know as 1C discharge.

Depending on the battery, it will have their own safe levels. Good RCR can safely handle 1.5-2C discharge. Whilst the IMR can safely do 10C.

As in the case of a light pulling 2.8amps, a RCR that has 750mA will be drawn at the rate of nearly 4C. It will not sustain at this rate and is operating outside its own safe parameters.
    An IMR at 4C is well within.

Although McGizmos are regulated within a range of voltages, they do not have low voltage reduction (i.e. warning) or low voltage cutoff. (The same is true with Malkoffs.) They will drain a primary dry - gradually getting dimmer - and this is not a problem with primaries. This can be a (big) problem with ICRs, which is why you should use protected RCR123s with the Haiku. This is less of a problem with IMRs, but you can still have a problem and can ruin the cell.

I prefer rechargeables - but that's just a personal preference because I have a solar panel running my charger. I like this set up for emergencies (I don't need a large box of primaries in storage) and for the guilt-free lumens. My friends could be right and I'm a closet liberal and tree hugger. I don't think so.

Edit: I've changed my opinion. Please see post #69
    Last edited by yoyoman; 01-14-2014 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Live and learn

I just got my first McGizmo(a Haiku) in the mail today. I plan to use the Primaries based on what I have read in this post. Thanks for the information!

I charged my RCR123 yesterday. It came off the charger at 4.19. Put it in my 3S Haiku XM-L and had problems switching modes. Later, I sat down with my Haiku and my HDS 200 clickie. Put the CR123 primary from the HDS into the Haiku and the RCR123A into the HDS. Switching modes on the Haiku is much easier and using the li-ion in the HDS is not an issue. I've changed my opinion and will now use lithium primaries in my Haiku.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    I charged my RCR123 yesterday. It came off the charger at 4.19. Put it in my 3S Haiku XM-L and had problems switching modes. Later, I sat down with my Haiku and my HDS 200 clickie. Put the CR123 primary from the HDS into the Haiku and the RCR123A into the HDS. Switching modes on the Haiku is much easier and using the li-ion in the HDS is not an issue. I've changed my opinion and will now use lithium primaries in my Haiku.
    ... In my experience, Haiku mode switching is usually easier with the higher voltage of a Li-Ion ....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post4314626

Is your Haiku a recent version, or an older one ?

Does it have the stock McGizmo driver ?
    Last edited by archimedes; 01-14-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Mine is fairly recent - 1 year? - and is stock. I'll try again tonight. This is the first time I put a primary in the Haiku and the cell is fairly fresh. Perhaps I came to a conclusion too early...

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
    Mine is fairly recent - 1 year? - and is stock. I'll try again tonight. This is the first time I put a primary in the Haiku and the cell is fairly fresh. Perhaps I came to a conclusion too early...
    Mine is an older XP-G (WW) ... the newer converter in yours may not have this same issue

I remember reading those posts. The primary cell is still fairly fresh and the mode changing is fine. Didn't have time to switch in a 16340.

With my Haiku on order, I just dug up this thread.

I see a lot of people rocking the Surefire as does Don, but from all my research the best I can tell is these are just Panasonic rebranded. I can't even find anywhere that says they are actually subject to a tighter quality control, additional testing or any claims of a benefit for the additional cost. They are restricted from export due to their military application however.

Looking at prices, I went ahead and bought a couple dozen Panasonic from Batterystation whom is a sponsor here so I think I can use their name.

Did I miss something that makes SureFire the brand to go to?

Well they DO have a pretty red label.
    McGizmo&Sebenza: Get It, Use It, Love It, BAN IT!! McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS

I've been using AW with the black label. Freshly charged on high I got about 35 minutes runtime (nichia 219). Sorry to change topic but anyone have a link to different battery runtimes for the Haiku?

Flashaholic

I got about 35 minutes runtime
    Thats it , that dont sound very good

Quote Originally Posted by JustinFournier View Post
    Did I miss something that makes SureFire the brand to go to?
    SF is an entrenched brand that also has retail store presence. I have yet to see, for example, Panasonic-labelled CR123s in a Lowe's or a gun store :/
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

I prefer primary CR123A batteries for my McGizmo lights, I'm currently using Panasonic Industrial batteries with the silver and black label and they appear quite good.
    I've tried many different protected 16340 batteries and find that most are too long for McGizmo lights and are difficult to screw the head right on and then crush the battery a bit, I wasted a nice pair of Keeppower ones recently as they were too long and got a bit crushed then sat around for a while and don't charge well anymore. I find that 16340 batteries don't hold a charge well and age quickly compared to larger Li-Ion batteries.
    The protected AW are my current 16340 and they are not too bad size wise as they are closer in length to a CR123A, a bit longer but still short enough to fit ok (I'm pretty sure the Eagletac 16340 would be a good fit too).
    Definitely prefer primary batteries for McGizmo and HDS overall for ease of use, runtime, reliability and better fit (I have a heap of Li-Ion in 18650 and 18350 for larger torches). I should have a 2xAA pak arriving in the mail next week and I've already bought a few packs of lithium AA batteries for it (and also have Eneloops).

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    I prefer primary CR123A batteries for my McGizmo lights, I'm currently using Panasonic Industrial batteries with the silver and black label and they appear quite good.
    I've tried many different protected 16340 batteries and find that most are too long for McGizmo lights and are difficult to screw the head right on and then crush the battery a bit, I wasted a nice pair of Keeppower ones recently as they were too long and got a bit crushed then sat around for a while and don't charge well anymore. I find that 16340 batteries don't hold a charge well and age quickly compared to larger Li-Ion batteries.
    The protected AW are my current 16340 and they are not too bad size wise as they are closer in length to a CR123A, a bit longer but still short enough to fit ok (I'm pretty sure the Eagletac 16340 would be a good fit too).
    Definitely prefer primary batteries for McGizmo and HDS overall for ease of use, runtime, reliability and better fit (I have a heap of Li-Ion in 18650 and 18350 for larger torches). I should have a 2xAA pak arriving in the mail next week and I've already bought a few packs of lithium AA batteries for it (and also have Eneloops).
    Agreed. The 16340 is longer and I have a harder time switching modes with it in my Haiku.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA

Which is better the AW Black 16340 protected, or the AW standard Orange 16340, for my Haiku and other single cell CR123 lights? These are all for McGizmo's, by the way.

Going to switch but, thought I'd get some advice from the experts!

Thanks,

RL
    Last edited by RedLED; 06-15-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

"Better" how ... ?

In other words, by what criteria ?

Price ? Safety ? Runtime ? Size ? Capacity ? Reliability ? Etc ?
    Last edited by archimedes; 06-15-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Sorry, I was referring to safety of the battery.

Thanks

The AW ICR (black/silver label) has a protection circuit with some added safety features. Circuits can fail, however.

The AW IMR (red label) has no protection circuit, but that chemistry is considered to be more stable.

So, different safety risks with each....
    Last edited by archimedes; 06-16-2016 at 02:24 PM.

I started with Surefires ( in both my Haiku's and SPYs), then switched to the protected AW ICR, but am now going back to primary Surefires.
    I can source them cheap, and their run times are way better.
    Tired of my rechargeables running out rather quickly.
    I will still keep some Red IMR's for the SPY's.

Thanks for the help, guy's.

Best,

RL

Certainly, cheers !

Can you guy's take one more battery question?

I am now running a AW protected black/silver label in my EDC Haiku. I have a VC2 charger, and a Nano charger, what types of batteries will the Nano charge? I have it for the 10280's for my small Draco. Does the Nano work well for RCR123's and other rechargeable that fit in it? If they are good on my AW, I can travel with the Nano and Haiku.

I don't know much about the Nano.

Thank you for the time to answer!
    Last edited by RedLED; 07-26-2016 at 02:33 AM.

The nano will work the 123's too, but it will take a long time to charge. It's fine for travelling. You might want to consider looking at the Cottonpicker chargers in the market place. Nice small chargers with an LED indicator for battery Voltage

Do they charge 18350's?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast