My AmondoTech Illuminator Is Ticking Like Crazy

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Just got the Illuminator (not the Mega) from Battery Junction and plugged it in the charger.

It has been charging now for over 9hrs and is clicking like crazy ever since I plugged it in the charger.

The clicking sounds like a loud car turn signal and it is in tune with the LED flashing from green to red.

Is this normal?

BVH

Flashaholic
Seems like this was a problem many years ago on the forum with these lights - IIRC. Did you take off the back cover to ensure the battery cables are plugged in? I think it was either a battery problem or unplugged cables.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
the cables are attached to the battery...they dont plug into the battery, they look like they are sealed on.

I called Battery Junction this morning and they said the clicking was normal but its been over 10hrs now and stil clicking like a car turn signal and LED flipping from red to green.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Mega Illuminator within the last 2 months. Mine had exactly the same problem you have. I tried both the 12 volt charging cord and the 120 volt AC cord to no avail. I took the battery out and hooked it up to my hobby charger only to find out that the battery was shot. I then took a battery of the same size and power from the UPS for my computer and put it in the Mega. Then low and behold no more ticking and flashing from red to green. Then it lit up red and a short while later was green. I tried the 12 volt cord also and the battery from my UPS worked like charm both ways. I almost would guarantee you that your battery is bad. SLA batteries need to be kept fully charged. My guess is our lights were sitting long enough without being charged that they completely discharged, which is fatal for these types of batteries.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
What did Battery Junction do for you? I contacted them and they said they are sending my email to a tech guy.

The battery finally stopped clicking after about 18 hrs and it charged for another 6 hrs before reaching charged on the indicator.

However, I only got about 35min use out of the charge.

I'm assuming they will replace the battery

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never contacted BatteryJunction customer service about it. Since I had another battery like that I just used it. Those types of batteries can be bought new for less than $20. I know that BatteryJunction would want to have the battery shipped back to them and that would cost almost as much as just buying a new battery. I am sure they will take care of you, I have had the very best of experiences with BatteryJunction's customer service. They really are top notch.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mr. Tone....I will see if Battery Junction will ship me a new batt first. I shouldnt have to pay $40 (CND) to replace something on a new light.

oh and the 30 min. I had this light going were awesome.

Dont think I will ever look at an LED the same way again...the Illuminator puts out a truly awe inspiring amount of light and throws further than I thought possible in a consumer product.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
As great as LED's are for efficiency, especially the XM-L, they still can not come close to the output and throw of HID. The most powerful LED single die is made by Luminous and it still doesn't come close to HID output. Take for example the biggest LED light out there which is the Olight SR90. It is putting out less than 2000 lumens out the front and only 100,000-120,000 candlepower. The Titanium Innovations N30 is similar in reflector size and wattage to the bulb and that is putting out over 3000 lumens and 225,000-250,000 candlepower.

I have a aftermarket bulb/ballast coming that I am going to put in my Mega Illuminator. The stock Mega is a 35 watt HID just like yours. In the Mega that gets you a little over 3000 lumens and close to 1 million true candlepower. However, I am going to mod it with a true 80 watt output bulb/ballast which should take me to around 7000-8000 lumens output and hopefully 2-3 million true candlepower. Once I get it all done I will let everyone here no how it works out!

BVH

Flashaholic
The Costco 35 Watt HID was the forerunner of the Mega Illum. I modded mine with a ballast putting out 80 Watts and it throws wonderfully! Although the Blitz with it better quality reflector really out does the Costco.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Costco 35 Watt HID was the forerunner of the Mega Illum. I modded mine with a ballast putting out 80 Watts and it throws wonderfully! Although the Blitz with it better quality reflector really out does the Costco.

Your Blitz has a 80 watt ballast, too? That is great!

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
The Illuminator definately saved me from chasing brighter LED's....no compairison.

If my Cree stock jumps another $2-$3 I'm gonna get the L50....kind of ironic.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your Illuminator is probably in the 500,000 candlepower ballpark. There are no production LED lights that even come close to this. No, not even close. My Thrunite Catapult V3 is probably 40,000 to 50,000 candlepower and it throws great, but it is one of the best LED production throwers and is 1/10th of your Illuminator's throw! Yes, I know that it is much smaller but even with a reflector that big it might throw similar but would still be far behind on the lumens output.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED has a LOng way to go before it reaches HID/Short Arc in lumins/throw.... no matter the watts, reflector, OR lumins per sq/cm

If you throw short arc in there then as far as throw goes LED is still miles away from attaining that level of throw. You can always get more powerful HID or short arc bulbs/ballasts but the most any current LED can take is 13 amps at around 3 volts.

Latest posts