Headlamp for hunting and bouldering

wellnis20

Newly Enlightened
So first off, I really know nothing at all about headlamps or even lights in general. But anyways i am looking at getting a headlamp for hunting but also something i could use bouldering. Probably the bouldering thing is more important. So any suggestions? Thanks

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome wellnis. If interested in how to choose a headlamp, have a look at the second link in my sig line. That'll getcha started. Want to know what everyone else likes? Check the third. If you decide you want a floody headlamp, check the first. Good luck!

Last edited:

OfficerSheepDog

Newly Enlightened
Just a friendly word of advice from a fellow hunter.

I purchased a Zebralight H51W (Which was exactly what I wanted) But What I didn't realize was at the time before purchase I was not looking for whats needed when hunting in low light. Not pitch black but specifically Low Light.

Since it matters I hunt with a compound Bow, And night hunting is illegal In ON Canada.

To keep it simple, 200lumens with the reflector used by zebralight in a forested area, is too blinding up close, and you CAN NOT make the shot. I am experienced and have absolute perfect vision. I cant make out whats 30 yards/meters + away from me. To compensate I purchased a HIGH CRI Armytek Predator (Very high Throw light not headlamp.) Mounted it to the stabilizer to then realize when I aim the dam Bow up wards to compensate for distance The light shines way to high up not on target.

Conclusion: The exact light needed for Hunting in low light is a High Lumen, Serious Throwing Headlamp.

Flashlight will not Aim properly at target.

High powered Headlamp unless focused tightly will not be bright enough at distance and will only disorient you more than without.

I know not all is relavent but I hope this helps with your decision.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
I find headlamps good for walking on good tracks - but when the surface gets rough, I find myself tripping over projecting rocks. This is because the light close to your eyes means that projecting rocks cast no shadow.

For bouldering I suspect the problem will be worse.

What I'm working on is a clip to allow a headlamp to attach to the belt - then normal headlamp angle adjustment mechanism will allow me to get the angle right.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
What I'm working on is a clip to allow a headlamp to attach to the belt - then normal headlamp angle adjustment mechanism will allow me to get the angle right.

attaching a lamp to your body has other issues - bounce and the inability to direct the beam without turning your body. your head is the most stable part of your body when you're walking or running. unless you're using a very floody lamp, the beam from a body fixed lamp will visibly bob along with the bounce generated by your body motion. this may not bother you, but it bothered the hell out of me. same thing for having to turn my body to aim the beam. that got old fast.

the lack of shadows cast is indeed a drawback of lamps positioned head high. but using a warm tint or high cri lamp can mitigated this by making features on the trail easier to identify.

it's kind of funny when people complain that headlamps don't cast shadows. mid-day sun light doesn't exactly cast shadows on trails either. if you have a headlamp that is bright enough and has the right tint and cri, the position of the lamp really shouldn't be an issue.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Will you use the light for an actual hunt or just to get to and from a hunting location? I am a hunter and in Oregon we cannot use any electronic device to gain an advantage while hunting. Besides legal hunting hours are 1/2 hour before/after dawn/dusk.
I use a Spark ST5 NW and a Quark Mini in my pack. I don't feel that you need a massive amount of light. Just enough to get to/from hunting areas. I often ride my Mountain bike or hike before dawn using just the headlamp. If I am riding for fun while not hunting I would want more light!
The Spark is small, light, water resistant and tough. Using 14500 Lion batteries it packs a serious punch. The beam is a kind of directional flood. On high it will light up everything out to about 30-35 yards.
I own other headlamps, but they don't get used anymore because I love that little Spark! I think there are other lights mentioned on this forum that will fit your needs too.
Take a good look some of the other posts in this forum you'll find something that works.

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
Talk about two wildly different applications! For bouldering at night, I'd just use a gas lantern, sitting on the ground. I suppose if you really want a headlamp, go all flood or you'll blind yourself when you get your head close to the rock. Probably will, anyway. Why not just boulder during the daytime?

wellnis20

Newly Enlightened
Well ill need the headlamp just walking to and from the hunting spot. So ill need something with a red filter on it. Ive heard zebralight is good, do they have a headlamp with a red filter

JordyC

Newly Enlightened
attaching a lamp to your body has other issues - bounce and the inability to direct the beam without turning your body. your head is the most stable part of your body when you're walking or running. unless you're using a very floody lamp, the beam from a body fixed lamp will visibly bob along with the bounce generated by your body motion. this may not bother you, but it bothered the hell out of me. same thing for having to turn my body to aim the beam. that got old fast.

the lack of shadows cast is indeed a drawback of lamps positioned head high. but using a warm tint or high cri lamp can mitigated this by making features on the trail easier to identify.

it's kind of funny when people complain that headlamps don't cast shadows. mid-day sun light doesn't exactly cast shadows on trails either. if you have a headlamp that is bright enough and has the right tint and cri, the position of the lamp really shouldn't be an issue.

Are tint/cri usually adjustable with filters? Or is that something you have to decide on when you purchase a light? Like the OP, I would also use the headlamp for climbing, though I imagine it would be more for approach/return than the actual climbing itself.

Also, as someone interested in night photography, a red light seemed important to me at first, but now I'm wondering if it is.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Are tint/cri usually adjustable with filters? Or is that something you have to decide on when you purchase a light? Like the OP, I would also use the headlamp for climbing, though I imagine it would be more for approach/return than the actual climbing itself.

Also, as someone interested in night photography, a red light seemed important to me at first, but now I'm wondering if it is.

tint can be adjusted with filters. cri cannot AFAIK.

IMO a low mode that is low enough is just as good as red light for night vision. i think the only situation you really need a red light for is keeping bugs out of your face.

for hiking, despite what i wrote above and as much as i like neutral tint light, i don't think that tint is really all that important as long it's not too extreme (either too blue or too orange), as long as you have at least 25-30 lumens, and the beam profile is something semi-floody (reasonably wide) and even (minimal contrast between hotspot and spill). i think everything after that is just a matter of taste.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
...i don't think that tint is really all that important as long it's not too extreme (either too blue or too orange), as long as you have at least 25-30 lumens, and the beam profile is something semi-floody (reasonably wide) and even (minimal contrast between hotspot and spill). i think everything after that is just a matter of taste.

That's good advice, there. I agree. The "taste" part of the formula can be quite strong but at the end of the day it's still just taste.